Options

Natalie and Smugness?

Sally Mander2Sally Mander2 Posts: 354
Forum Member
It seems to me that it is generally agreed that of the four remaining celebrities Natalie is the most accomplished dancer.

From last weeks leak of the general public vote and this weeks dance off it is also clear that Natalie (at least over the past two weeks) has the lowest public support of the finalists.

It also seems to me from reading Digital Spy threads that a small but not insignificant number of people dislike Natalie as a "person" rather than just her dancing.

Now two main reasons have been raised as to why people don't vote for Natalie.

1) A lack of "connection" between themselves as viewers and Natalie & Artem's dance that they view. Some say that it is a similar feeling (or lack of feeling) that they have when watching two professional dancers dance - it looks accomplished but it seems a bit hollow - more technique than emotion. Others say that it is rather a perceived lack of connection between Natalie & Artem - that Natalie plays more to the audience than focusing on Artem in storytelling.

Now this reason is focused on the actual dancing and the connection that they have as viewers with the dance.

The second reason given is more personal and has nothing to do with the dance:
2) Natalie appears smug, she is "full of it", she is a "ringer".
It is this reason that I have difficulty understanding - but I do accept there is a significant number of people that believe or have a strong feeling that this is true.

So for those that do believe that Natalie is smug - when and how did you get the impression that Natalie was smug.

Comments

• Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I don't see her as smug. She's good, unlike the woeful Susanna last night who got lucky
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own view is that technically brilliant she may be but nothing in her relationship with Artem suggests chemistry and her 'style' leaves me cold. All the posturing, faffing and facial expressions are just too much. I would much rather watch Abbey singing along or laughing as she dances, it's infectious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see her as smug. She's good, unlike the woeful Susanna last night who got lucky
    I agree that many don't see Natalie as smug - but I am interested in why a not insignificant number of people believe her to be smug.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Do people assume that if you're good at something, talented, that you must be full of yourself/smug?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    ... her 'style' leaves me cold. All the posturing, faffing and facial expressions are just too much. ...
    So when you watch them dance you get the sense that a lot of the expressions and postures from Natalie is artificial and decorative rather than authentic, felt emotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do people assume that if you're good at something, talented, that you must be full of yourself/smug?
    That's a good point - in the sense that you have to believe someone to be good at something for the possibility for them also to appear smug over it. That is if Natalie was rubbish at dancing then I don't think it would be possible to perceive Natalie as being smug over her dancing. Hence, those that have a sense that Natalie is smug must also have a sense that she has something to be smug about - good at dancing.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I agree that many don't see Natalie as smug - but I am interested in why a not insignificant number of people believe her to be smug.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Probably because she's a really good clinical dancer and people seem to want the cheap and cheerful out of step messy look at me salsa from Susanna. It was terrible and that was a 'dance' that should have seen her off the show. Unfortunately if you're good you're seen as smug and I say the same about Susanna, she THINKS she's good. That's the difference, in my opinion between one being confident as they are good and the other loving themselves and believing they are good.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think tonight she showed a lot of dignity and class with a lot of nice words. I think she said any chance to Dance is a privilege.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Don't get the smug description, may be confident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when you watch them dance you get the sense that a lot of the expressions and postures from Natalie is artificial and decorative rather than authentic, felt emotion.

I suppose they feel like technique as opposed to heartfelt? I don't want to say false but you can't imagine her just letting go completely an whatever's within just pouring out. Abbey on the other hand has trouble containing it.

I guess my preference is watching uncontrolled emotion. :)
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She reverted to a bit of Kirsty from Corrie when she realised she was in the dance off. Just for a second mind .........
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    I think tonight she showed a lot of dignity and class with a lot of nice words. I think she said any chance to Dance is a privilege.

So have most of the celebs who've been in the DO.

Would be great for someone not to care a hoot what the public think and yell out 'why me!,!??'
    I danced better than them'. Whilst pointing to someone who was bottom of the leaderboard. :D
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my screen I've only ever seen a woman who dances beautifully.

Never seen 'smug' but I have seen her mouthing 'thank you' to camera.
  • Options
    lateonelateone Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She reverted to a bit of Kirsty from Corrie when she realised she was in the dance off. Just for a second mind .........

What a ridiculous comment.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lateone wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment.

Whatever. That's what I thought anyway.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may not be smug, it's just that she gives that impression, and an audience doesn't like any hint of smugness so that may be why the public haven't taken to her. I think Craig hit on something in his critique on Saturday night when he said the man should be leading and it appeared more like she was leading Artem, which I picked up on and I'm sure other people did too. That says a lot about her and I feel it would colour people's opinion of her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose they feel like technique as opposed to heartfelt? I don't want to say false but you can't imagine her just letting go completely are whatever's within just pouring out. Abbey on the other hand has trouble containing it.

I guess my preference is watching uncontrolled emotion. :)
    That's sort of becoming "the lack of connection" reason that many have mentioned. Technically good but a sense of an emotional vacuum - like two robots dancing. But you added something interesting - you said there was a lot of "faffing" bits to it.

So I am thinking that even if you don't, some people see some of the "decorative" parts of Natalie's dance as being "fake" and "pretense". And if those attributes are perceived by some in Natalies dancing, then it is only a small step to project those same attributes onto Natalie as a person. And this could be one route through which some get the impression that Natalie is smug.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my TV must be missing the smugness feature.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my TV must be missing the smugness feature.

You and I must have the same brand. Mine is called Smugfree. Is that the same as yours? ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't know why I don't rate them. On paper I should - she's an exceptionally good dancer, I love her personality, and Artem is my favourite of the pros. I think they get on really well and work extremely hard.

But something just doesn't work for me. For the 90 seconds that they're on the dance floor, I feel like I'm watching and waiting for something to happen and it's only happened once (in her VW). The rest of her dances have passed me by. I'm not sure who or what is to blame - but I do feel the others have done more with less to work with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's sort of becoming "the lack of connection" reason that many have mentioned. Technically good but a sense of an emotional vacuum - like two robots dancing. But you added something interesting - you said there was a lot of "faffing" bits to it.

So I am thinking that even if you don't, some people see some of the "decorative" parts of Natalie's dance as being "fake" and "pretense". And if those attributes are perceived by some in Natalies dancing, then it is only a small step to project those same attributes onto Natalie as a person. And this could be one route through which some get the impression that Natalie is smug.

I do think that one of the other reasons she could be perceived as smug is that she's being taught by Mr Smug & Arrogant himself. Of course we know he's not but it's taken 3 seasons to discover that it's all a bit of an act but some of his haughty character has rubbed off maybe? She, of course, like all partners mirrors back the body language? The faffing mainly comes from her arms and hands and how coordinated and pronounced they are and the amount of holding onto and using of her skirt she appears to do. And of course although it's been explained why (the height issue) the lack of hold also suggests a sort of arrogance in that she's never needed to be in her partner arms for safety? Unlike the others? I don't really want to call her smug but a certain arrogance that is circumstantial seems fairer.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You and I must have the same brand. Mine is called Smugfree. Is that the same as yours? ;-)

I'm in bed now, but I'll check in the morning. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »
    She may not be smug, it's just that she gives that impression, and an audience doesn't like any hint of smugness so that may be why the public haven't taken to her. I think Craig hit on something in his critique on Saturday night when he said the man should be leading and it appeared more like she was leading Artem, which I picked up on and I'm sure other people did too. That says a lot about her and I feel it would colour people's opinion of her.
    I am trying to work out how Natalie gives the impression of smugness. You mentioned that Natalie appears to lead Artem in the dance (as pointed out by Craig).

I guess that could give the impression that Natalie is imposing herself on Artem, of her wanting to take centre stage, of her wanting to "show off" - rather than submitting into the role she should play in the dance - they should be dancing as a pair rather than as two competing individuals. This sense of showing off (as judged by her appearing to lead) could then provide another route through which some get the impression that Natalie is smug.
  • Options
    FacechildFacechild Posts: 1,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Don't get the smug description, may be confident.

..........and that's her crime. She's excellent at dancing and performing with a reasonable amount of confidence and poise. I thought she was charming and dignified tonight and by now she would have had a fair idea that she's not the most popular. Despite that she got to the final on her talent and ability; not too shabby Natalie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do think that one of the other reasons she could be perceived as smug is that she's being taught by Mr Smug & Arrogant himself. Of course we know he's not but it's taken 3 seasons to discover that it's all a bit of an act but some of his haughty character has rubbed off maybe? She, of course, like all partners mirrors back the body language? The faffing mainly comes from her arms and hands and how coordinated and pronounced they are and the amount of holding onto and using of her skirt she appears to do. And of course although it's been explained why (the height issue) the lack of hold also suggests a sort of arrogance in that she's never needed to be in her partner arms for safety? Unlike the others? I don't really want to call her smug but a certain arrogance that is circumstantial seems fairer.
    Thanks for that. Your attention to detail in the dance suggests to me you're more of an expert of dance than I am (I'm a novice in many ways).

PS Since her bad back & fainting episode I too have felt a lack of connection with several of her performances (but a few hit the mark for me the "nightclub dance" and the American Tango). My impression is that many of her performances have lacked energy which I put down to her back issues and associated medication which I assume she is taking.