Greatest Stand-up Comedians - 31st Dec 9pm C5

Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
Forum Member
✭✭
Steven Wright & Tim Vine had better be in the top 5.

Comments

• RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Billy Connoly deserving winner

Tommy Cooper was too high for me though. Not good enough for #3
  • Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching didn't understand Sarah Millican being higher than Peter Kay
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connolly is the deserving winner, everything below that was in a bizarre order though in my opinion. Jack Whitehall above Robin Williams was a laugh out loud moment.

Still a decent watch though.
  • denvoredenvore Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never really understood why Billy Connolly does well in these surveys. I consider myself to be a bit of a Stand-up fan, but have never really got Billy Connolly.
    Or Peter Kay for that matter (he seems to do well usually too)
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    It should be "most popular stand-up" as it is based on votes surely.

And more people have seen the modern comedians with their TV shows, DVD's and endless arena tours than might have seen (IMHO) the greatest EVER like Bill Hicks, Dave Allen, Bob Monkhouse (when he was not doing gameshows).
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mention of Stewart Lee? Really?
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »

The guy is miserable and completely unlikeable for me. I know there are plenty of "Miserable" comics like Jack Dee, Sean Lock, Jon Richardson but with them it is an act that they perform. Stewart Lee can't help but take constant shots at people who are attempting to do the same thing as him professionally. Most Comedians seem to get a long and appreciate each others talents but he just takes cheap shots.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trmcg5 wrote: »

She's a comedy enigma. Is she noshing off someone in the know?

I joined the countdown at about 25 - was there any mention of the late great Linda Smith? Her little finger was funnier than Millican.

Can't believe Stewart Lee didn't feature.

Would have expected Bill Hicks to feature higher - he's generally seen as a comedians comedian.

Though as Stewart Lee once said - Bill Hicks will forever be a great because he's dead. :o:D

He no longer has the pressure of producing fresh material to stay in work.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda smith was the greatest comedienne ever. Jeremy Hardy my favourite comedian. Can you tell I'm a radio 4 listening lefty?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Linda smith was the greatest comedienne ever. Jeremy Hardy my favourite comedian. Can you tell I'm a radio 4 listening lefty?

Ah, big fan of The News Quiz then?

What's that Jeremy? Another joke about the fact that there are old Etonians in the Cabinet? Are you going to do the comedy 'posh accent' as well?*

*copyright every edition of The News Quiz ever.:D
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Connolly comes out top again!
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How and who chose these? Seems most odd to me.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »

He is very funny & should have featured. I am disgusted that Steven Wright didn't feature either. Oh & Eddie Izzard is about as funny as cancer.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is very funny & should have featured. I am disgusted that Steven Wright didn't feature either. Oh & Eddie Izzard is about as funny as cancer.

Whoops, wrong Stewart, sorry not a fan of Lee, I was thinking of Stewart Francis - very funny & should've been in the top 10 along with Steven Wright (omitted) & Tim Vine (placed ridiculously at about 25 - an absolute insult to a comedy genius).
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy Connelly was a predictable winner - worthy but predictable.

I like Jack Dee just a bit more though.
    Forum Member
    The problem is I think Comedians are probably the entertainment where its most love or hate...there is usually very little neutral ground when it comes to a Comedian.

Its not as common to say about a comedian "I can take it or leave it" where as with music and films you can. Its usually you will give them your time or not. So the ranking of the list will never really have a collective "Yeah thats a fair ranking".

But on a plus note yes Stewart Francis is MILES better than Stewart Lee IMO
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »

Would have expected Bill Hicks to feature higher - he's generally seen as a comedians comedian.

Though as Stewart Lee once said - Bill Hicks will forever be a great because he's dead. :o:D

He no longer has the pressure of producing fresh material to stay in work.

Doesn't stop "new " comedians ripping off his material.

"Lee Nelson" on gun control is one of Hick's routines re-written
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven Wright & Tim Vine had better be in the top 5.

I was thinking the two Canandian ones Stuart Francis and that other chilled out guy Tom Stade .
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few strange choices, who votes for these people, seriously Sarah Millican Jo Brand Eddie Izzard in top 15. Even Tommy Cooper at number 3 was a bit of a surprise, much as I like him

Good to see some of the older comedians doing well, Bob Monkhouse, and especially Dave Allen
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trmcg5 wrote: »

She is an overrated act, but Peter Kay hasn't done anything funny since 2003.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Hardy is bloody fabulous! Have seen him twice now - and not one bit of material was duplicated. I always watch out for him and try to get tickets when I can.

I didn't watch this program though - I know that Connelly will always be number 1 (he's good but not that good). I'd put Bill Hicks at number 1.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,864
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »
    A few strange choices, who votes for these people, seriously Sarah Millican Jo Brand Eddie Izzard in top 15. Even Tommy Cooper at number 3 was a bit of a surprise, much as I like him

Good to see some of the older comedians doing well, Bob Monkhouse, and especially Dave Allen

What number was Dave Allen? He was one of my all time favourites. BBC2 will be repeating the documentary about his career on Saturday at 9pm, followed by Dave Allen: The Immaculate Selection at 10pm (I'm not sure if this is a repeat or 'new') and finally at 11pm the 1974 documentary Dave Allen In Search of the Great English Eccentric. I'm glad this is being shown as I've always wanted to see it.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommy Cooper was too high for me though. Not good enough for #3

Not bad for a guy who hasn't released any new material........ Ever really!
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Daniel Kitson on the list?
    He is very funny.

http://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/album/the-stand-august-2005
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill Hicks not #1? Not worth watching then.