Are your parents ignorant towards gays?

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
Mine are, my brother in laws brother is gay and whenever they go see my nephews and they are there whenever they describe them they say 'oh the poofs were there'..and like today i showed my mum what i had bought in the sale and she said why do you like those gay colors (it was a mustard coloured beanie ffs!) however when i question my mums opinion about gays she seems tolerant like its their life and stuff

the thing is i am actually planning on coming out as i have a boyfriend but my parents dont know a thing. im extremely straight acting...so they've got a shock coming up lol

how are your parents regarding gays?

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    My mum is very open minded.

My dad's a homophobic, racist b'stard.
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »

seems to be the norm, wonder why that is....
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    My dad will casually refer to gay men as benders or fudge packers. My mum refuses to believe most gay celebrities are in fact gay.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents are fine with gay people and took my coming out basically fine. We're rational people. I mean, they don't understand every single thing but that's to be expected.

EDIT: I was wondering, would people actually call out/correct family members that say homophobic things etc.?
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum still has a strange opinion about 'Germans'
    Yeah, she lived through the Second World War

I guess it's different for people who lived through that experience

Times change... and time is supposed to be a healer, but not always it seems
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my mum is quite excepting as are most of my family even the ones who are devout Christians,
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly would call out people for being racist and/or homophobic, and have done.
    My parents haven't a bigoted bone in their bodies, but I did have a contretemps with an acquaintance, the same generation as they are.
    She was homophobic 'they don't call them queer for nothing' and horrifyingly racist.
    I wasn't prepared to let her make her ignorant statements and not be pulled up for it.
    She hasn't spoken to me since.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    My mum is 72 and she's not fussed. :)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mizhog wrote: »

They are both dead and I don't recall them ever talking about them apart from the chap next door who save my life. He was very sad for him when he got done for cottaging and angry about the system.

I think one of his brothers, my uncle Jack, was probably gay but it was never alluded to and Jack was well loved within the family anyway.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are just generally ignorant.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents couldn't care less. My dad is a vegetarian ex-hippy and my mum is Buddhist.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is 72 and, although she isn't homophobic, she does have the strange view that it's fashionable to be gay these days and that a lot of people do it 'to be trendy' (her exact words)

My step dad is just old fashioned and, despite not having any bigoted views, still uses language that isn't really used these days like queer. If I ever pull him up he says things like' my mate Bob is a queer and he's absolutely fine with being called one so why would it bother you?' So I just leave them to get on with it
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    They're fine, which is just as well as both their Sons are gay.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I was wondering, would people actually call out/correct family members that say homophobic things etc.?

I don't think I would, but that's for personal reasons. My grandma sometimes says quite racist things and anyone/everyone around would call her out on it, but not in an aggressive way, more in a semi-laughing, semi-serious 'you can't say that kind of thing anymore' way, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't call out any of my family for saying something homophobic though, because I'd feel like I'm outing myself, like if I defended gay people that would flag up my own sexuality. I tend to just keep my head down if discussion turns to homosexuality in any way. I feel like responding in a positive way would out me.

Luckily for me, my parents seem OK with gay people by and large and I don't really hear any homophobic talk at home, even from my grandma (well, not much).

ETA - I do sometimes hear the phrase 'bent as a nine bob note', which isn't really meant offensively. It's clearly just a saying from another time.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    ETA - I do sometimes hear the phrase 'bent as a nine bob note', which isn't really meant offensively. It's clearly just a saying from another time.

I don't think that saying has anything to do with sexuality, but "bent" being slang for dodgy in a dishonest sense, while "straight" being for the more honest/square sorts.

My mum is open minded, as she is on most things. I can't say I've ever heard her criticise much, never mind a person's sexuality. My dad can be a bit of an old fart, and say some daft things. I think he's got better, but he used to think it was all a bit of a showbiz/media creation, and that there weren't many gay people in real life. I think it may still come as a shock to him to discover gays aren't all like Larry Grayson.:blush:
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I don't think that saying has anything to do with sexuality, but "bent" being slang for dodgy in a dishonest sense, while "straight" being for the more honest/square sorts.

I've only ever heard my parents use in it regards to gay people, not in a homophobic way, just as a way of saying they're gay.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

My mum is open minded, as she is on most things. I can't say I've ever heard her criticise much, never mind a person's sexuality. My dad can be a bit of an old fart, and say some daft things. I think he's got better, but he used to think it was all a bit of a showbiz/media creation, and that there weren't many gay people in real life. I think it may still come as a shock to him to discover gays aren't all like Larry Grayson.:blush:

Bent is very much a term for homosexuals as well as criminals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent_(play)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they can be ignorant to gays. My parents were, that changed when I came out. My mother said some awful things about gays years back (she got it from her own mother who was racist and homophobic). Nowadays she wouldn't say a bad thing about them.

Good luck OP coming out :)
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are, my brother in laws brother is gay and whenever they go see my nephews and they are there whenever they describe them they say 'oh the poofs were there'..and like today i showed my mum what i had bought in the sale and she said why do you like those gay colors (it was a mustard coloured beanie ffs!) however when i question my mums opinion about gays she seems tolerant like its their life and stuff

the thing is i am actually planning on coming out as i have a boyfriend but my parents dont know a thing. im extremely straight acting...so they've got a shock coming up lol

My mum is fine with it

My dad seems to be..but if my sibling turned out to be gay I'm not sure if that might change. I'm not sure what his reaction would be if he saw a same sex couple kissing either.

He is not actively prejudiced in any way but that's because he hasn't really encountered it.
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems to be the norm, wonder why that is....

Hetero men seem to have more problems with gay men than women do,I have no idea why but it is something I have noticed myself.

Yet they seemingly have no problem with lesbian women especially in certain contexts :p

Its very odd and I do wonder about it.
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »

Both of my parents are open-minded, they even have friends who are gay, but my stepdad said he would find it amusing if I was gay.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents aren't homophobic, they don't mind that I'm bi and have dated guys before
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    My parents aren't homophobic, they don't mind that I'm bi and have dated guys before
    That must be splendid for you then. :)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is in her 80s and 4 years ago I had to explain to her about gay men. She still describes them as "poor things" .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't sound ignorant to me.

Some people just don't like the homosexual lifestyle.