Options

Adam Boulton steps down as Sky News Political Editor

Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
But staying at Sky to anchor a new evening programme:
After 25 years Boulton stepping down as Political Editor to anchor new Sky News evening programme

http://skynews.skypressoffice.co.uk/press-releases/items/2014-01/3496/adam-boulton-present-new-prime-time-show-sky-news

Be interesting to see who fills the vacancy. Internal promotion, or could they attract someone from the BBC or ITV?

Comments

• Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Peter Spencer could move from weekends.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey Jones has to be an absolute shoo-in. If he doesn't get it then he will have to leave to realise any ambition he may have. He's far better than the arrogant, overtly biased Boulton anyway - he's been on borrowed time in that role since his embarrassing displays during the aftermath of the 2010 General Election.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Peter Spencer could move from weekends.

Spencer retired a year or two ago.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

Yep, last February.

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/news/sky-news-peter-spencer-retires-55051/
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member

Oh yes, of course.

I don't watch Sky News much at the weekends these days.

Kay Burley, she does everything else there and she whips up a frenzy when out reporting political issues:D
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are trying to bring LBC Radio to the TV? Tom Bradbury from ITV News could be tipped?
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »
    Joey Jones has to be an absolute shoo-in. If he doesn't get it then he will have to leave to realise any ambition he may have. He's far better than the arrogant, overtly biased Boulton anyway - he's been on borrowed time in that role since his embarrassing displays during the aftermath of the 2010 General Election.
    occy wrote: »
    They are trying to bring LBC Radio to the TV? Tom Bradbury from ITV News could be tipped?

id say it will be one of these too... i hope Joey gets it,
    but if they wanted someone new, it would have to be Tom
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey Jones has to be favourite but Jon Craig won't be too far behind two horse race really.

Are we too assume Adam is getting the 7pm slot from Jeff Randle when he leaves or is this an 8pm slot?

Will there be a major revamp of other shows or will the Boulton & Co show be just renamed?
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jones will expect it and of course they lost a correspondent when they make him deputy so you'd think the succession planning has been there for several years.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it's normally Sophy Ridge at weekends these days.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this also mean an end to his turgid column in The Sunday Times ?
    A loyal Murdoch servant.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't put it past the cute blonde. She seems to have gone from someone with no political reporting experience to one of the top reporters in a couple of years. ;)
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Joey Jones has to be favourite but Jon Craig won't be too far behind two horse race really.

Are we too assume Adam is getting the 7pm slot from Jeff Randle when he leaves or is this an 8pm slot?

Will there be a major revamp of other shows or will the Boulton & Co show be just renamed?

There be a few movements and a slight revamp.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past the cute blonde. She seems to have gone from someone with no political reporting experience to one of the top reporters in a couple of years. ;)

Implying what exactly?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't blame Boulton. He's been doing it for a long time, and he's no spring chicken now. He clearly wasn't enjoying himself very much at stages of the last General Election campaign.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    samburrows wrote: »

I actually have a lot of sympathy for Boulton in that incident with the reptilian spinmaster and, overall, he's done a pretty reasonable job. I assume he's going to do the 7pm-8pm slot and I wish him well in his new post.
    mossy2103 wrote: »

I thought he was a very good (and very well dressed) political correspondent and it's a shame in a way that he did retire.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A colleague told me about a page 3 stunner, who in the blurb made a political comment.

Topless Political News

Now just got to get some bloke to dress as a white rabbit
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't blame Boulton. He's been doing it for a long time, and he's no spring chicken now. He clearly wasn't enjoying himself very much at stages of the last General Election campaign.

No his spat with Alistair Campbell live on air where Alistair and him were talking and he went off was legendary, and something a professional seasoned political commentator should not have allowed to happen.

I think he has been winding down to this since the last election.

Just watched it again on You Tube one of the funniest things i have seen in years still ,for all the wrong reasons.:D:D
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Does this also mean an end to his turgid column in The Sunday Times ?
    A loyal Murdoch servant.
    He's also wrote in the Guardian, Independent and the New Statesman, married one Blair's media team (not Campbell even though he was at the wedding), hardly the CV of a "loyal Murdoch servant".
  • Options
    osrickosrick Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I would not be surprised if they bought in on this one. I think they will also be keen to get a woman although that does not necessarily rule out the appointment of a man. Personally I think they may recruit from the print medium rather than broadcasting.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see JJ get it. Warm, inteligent and compassionate when needed
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't really see Laura K getting it as she's just joined the BBC again, might be a tad embarrassing for her and Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Favourite would be Jon Craig and he appears pretty impartial too.

Which is quite important for a Political Editor.:)

Unlike ER Mr Boulton.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Can't really see Laura K getting it as she's just joined the BBC again, might be a tad embarrassing for her and Sky.

She certainly bounces around.:o
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boulton is fat and smug. Exactly right for the BBC.