Johansson calls for Black Widow movie

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
Johansson said she was ready to headline her own film if audiences demanded it. "If you want to see a Black Widow spin-off movie, then I want to see it," she told reporters on the red carpet. "We'll see. We will put the request into Marvel tomorrow."

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/21/scarlett-johansson-black-widow-spin-off-movie

Well, I'd like to see a BW movie- it's time we had a decent superheroine flick
(not like Catwoman or Elektra ).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I can't say I'm fussed if there is a BW movie. Other than it being a Marvel film would anyone really care? There are films like Underworld, Resident Evil that are female lead action films. Of course you don't have vampires, but will it be much different to them and possibly Salt? If they are doing a super-heroine film I think they need to make it something that hasn't been seen like She-Hulk or Ms Marvel. One where the main lead has powers.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    If they are doing a super-heroine film I think they need to make it something that hasn't been seen like She-Hulk or Ms Marvel. One where the main lead has powers.

Those might be considered riskier, though- nobody outside comics fandom knows
    who Ms. Marvel is, while the Black Widow has guested in three films.

Mind you, several years ago nobody outside comics fandom knew who Iron
    Man was either ;-) ....
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still want a Storm solo movie. Possibly without Halle Berry though, which means it probably won't happen in this life time.
    Forum Member
    Those might be considered riskier, though- nobody outside comics fandom knows
    who Ms. Marvel is, while the Black Widow has guested in three films.

Mind you, several years ago nobody outside comics fandom knew who Iron
    Man was either ;-) ....

I agree with what you're saying but they have something the Black Widow doesn't have going for her......... merchandisable!

I really can't picture them putting the Widow on the sides of shakes, lunchboxes, toys to lay with (not figurines) where as owing to Ms Marvel's more colourful costume, She-Hulk being green generally looking "super heroine in look" etc. the opportunity is there to make money from licensing opportunities. This could help balance out any loss at the box-office.
    Forum Member
    I agree with what you're saying but they have something the Black Widow doesn't have going for her......... merchandisable!

I really can't picture them putting the Widow on the sides of shakes, lunchboxes, toys to lay with (not figurines) where as owing to Ms Marvel's more colourful costume, She-Hulk being green generally looking "super heroine in look" etc. the opportunity is there to make money from licensing opportunities. This could help balance out any loss at the box-office.

I'm not sure Marvel wants to make stuff for that market yet... ;-)

On a serious note, this is, I think, part of the reason movie studios are
    leery of making a superheroine movie- a lot of the merchandise for
    these superhero movies is bought by pre-teen boys, and they don't want to
    buy action figures of just BW or Wonder Woman, for fear of being
    considered "sissies".
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the Marvel ptb will test the waters with a Black Widow one shot extra thingie on the Captain America 2 DVD release.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Black Widow to be rather a dull character. She couldn't possibly pull off a full movie. Besides Elektra is already a very similar character and she's had a movie already.

I would much rather see a film with either She-Hulk, Raven, Witchblade or Jem and The Holograms if they wanted to make a female lead superhero movie.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I don't see why not, or at least no real obstacle why not. These superhero films are very much part of the mainstream, and films with strong female leads are very much happening at the moment (Hunger Games, Frozen, Gravity - all huge). The male domination of the superhero genre is there for all to see, and a Black Widow film might do it some good.
    Forum Member
    I don't see why not, or at least no real obstacle why not. These superhero films are very much part of the mainstream, and films with strong female leads are very much happening at the moment (Hunger Games, Frozen, Gravity - all huge). The male domination of the superhero genre is there for all to see, and a Black Widow film might do it some good.

Wonder Woman is getting a cameo in the Batman Vs. Superman flick:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-batman-vs-superman-1200918310/

..but it's disappointing WB/DC didn't have enought faith in the character to give her
    a solo movie straightaway- far more people know WW than Green Lantern
    or Jonah Hex, for goodness' sake!
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: Wonder Woman - I can understand the DC people being a little reluctant at jumping in with a Wonder Woman movie after the disastrous thing that was the tv-pilot. Also methinks the general public would laugh at her invisible plane and her belt of truth thing does kinda render the whole justice system obsolete.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Black Widow works as a mysterious, moody character with little exposition, just like Hawkeye does. It would be nice for her to have more spotlight but not a whole film. The character would have to be massively diluted or not feature her heavily for it to be a viable script.

Although, I guess an origin movie could work, possibly. Seems like that would be a very bleak story though.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have said so pre-Avengers, but she was ace in that, and excellent in Captain America The Winter Soldier, so I'd love to see one now.

Slight issue that she may just be so good in those two as she's a supporting character though.
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure Marvel wants to make stuff for that market yet... ;-)

On a serious note, this is, I think, part of the reason movie studios are
    leery of making a superheroine movie- a lot of the merchandise for
    these superhero movies is bought by pre-teen boys, and they don't want to
    buy action figures of just BW or Wonder Woman, for fear of being
    considered "sissies".

If they won't make dolls for you to lay with they are missing out on a lot of money from horny teenage boys lol
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Maybe the Marvel ptb will test the waters with a Black Widow one shot extra thingie on the Captain America 2 DVD release.

I can't see what that would achieve. People but the disc for the Captain America film. Worldwide if tells millions of units. That proves Black Widow's one shot is popular enough to give her a 2 hour film of her own.

It would be better to give her a couple of non sequential episodes of Marvel's Agents of Shield in which they don't use any of the regular cast, just her on missions on her own. Study the viewing figures and see if they dip much.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Wonder Woman is getting a cameo in the Batman Vs. Superman flick:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-batman-vs-superman-1200918310/

..but it's disappointing WB/DC didn't have enought faith in the character to give her
    a solo movie straightaway- far more people know WW than Green Lantern
    or Jonah Hex, for goodness' sake!
    Indeed. However, one of the things I've heard about B vs S is that Superman's arrival acts as a catalyst for other superheroes to come forward - a smart enough idea that sidesteps the single origins path perhaps.

Still, presently nobody knows. Warners have gone a bit quiet on the project recently, so another bout of madness might be on its way.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re: Wonder Woman - I can understand the DC people being a little reluctant at jumping in with a Wonder Woman movie after the disastrous thing that was the tv-pilot. Also methinks the general public would laugh at her invisible plane and her belt of truth thing does kinda render the whole justice system obsolete.

Yes, but they're obviously not going to include the invisible plane and the lasso of truth especially in this realistic universe Man of Steel has set up; that's really no excuse for not doing a WW movie. There are many superheroes who have a ridiculous concept e.g. Thor (who is very similar to WW) is just one of them and yet Marvel made it work.
    ..but it's disappointing WB/DC didn't have enought faith in the character to give her a solo movie straightaway- far more people know WW than Green Lantern or Jonah Hex, for goodness' sake!

Yep, and look how Green Lantern turned out lol, to refer back to laughable premises - WW is far easier a character to do than GL. A ring that can imagine anything lowers the stakes somewhat...
    On a serious note, this is, I think, part of the reason movie studios are leery of making a superheroine movie- a lot of the merchandise for these superhero movies is bought by pre-teen boys, and they don't want to buy action figures of just BW or Wonder Woman, for fear of being considered "sissies".

That's because the merchandise is mainly male action figures spawning off male superhero movies. That's obviously not going to appeal to pre-teen girls. The solution to that problem is to make a female super-heroine movie that young girls can look up to and then make the merchandise for it. If Barbie can do it then WB and Marvel can. Again, no excuse.

Furthermore, movies are not an advertisement for toys. The last person who saw it that way made a movie that killed Batman for 8 years.
    Forum Member
    Looks like we may finally be getting a Marvel superheroine movie:
    Lauren Shuler Donner, who’s produced all of the X-Men films, tells Entertainment Weekly that, in addition to Wolverine, she’d like to see more standalone films with Mystique, Gambit, and (as long rumored) Deadpool. With Mystique playing a major role in X-Men: Days Of Future Past—and also being played by the very popular Jennifer Lawrence—Donner suggests she might logically be the next character to get a spinoff.

http://www.avclub.com/article/mystique-could-be-next-x-men-character-get-spinoff-203310