Options

Sam Baileys sells more than James, Matt and Little Mix in first week!

Comments

• Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to Sam. Even though I would never call myself a fan nothing pleases me more than when contestants have success post show.

>THIS
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cringe at this thread. Major cringe. It's like the OP is keen to prove something. :blush:

Nice for Sam, I guess.

Keen to prove something?

What's different to this thread than the ones that said Little Mix were flopping after first week sales, that James couldn't sell more than Matt etc?

Yeah, it is nice for Sam.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Sam. Even though I would never call myself a fan nothing pleases me more than when contestants have success post show.

nothing?:o
    ;-)
  • Options
    James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I am glad Sam is doing well and that Syco have used a different release plan for Sam. I just hope they don't continue having a one size fits all mentality, as they did for years after Leona won with managing all the other winners releases in the same way. Provided Syco put some effort and thought into what would work best for each winner rather than running an autumn release machine, which will worked for Leona and One Direction.
  • Options
    outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I am glad Sam is doing well and that Syco have used a different release plan for Sam. I just hope they don't continue having a one size fits all mentality, as they did for years after Leona won with managing all the other winners releases in the same way. Provided Syco put some effort and thought into what would work best for each winner rather than running an autumn release machine, which will worked for Leona and One Direction.
    I agree with you that syco should, or should have looked at each winner indivIdually not only in release schedule, but how to manage them to play to their strenghts..i am pleased that they are not trying to put a square peg in a round hole with sam.
    I wish her contiued success even though she many not live up to some peoples expectations of her the competition ended when she won:)
    And by the way, 1D did not win the X factor;-):p:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many has she sold this week so far? Any updates? I must say her current sales have impressed me.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Keen to prove something?

What's different to this thread than the ones that said Little Mix were flopping after first week sales, that James couldn't sell more than Matt etc?

Yeah, it is nice for Sam.

I suppose at least you've got evidence and explained what's going on. The major cringe came from the Tillymint thread where I had no idea what she was going on about.

Well done to Sam then I suppose. Just wish she could do something more dance pop or edgy because her voice is perfectly capable of it but this is a good stepping stone I suppose to build up a fan base. Good on her. :)
  • Options
    RottilargoRottilargo Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many has she sold this week so far? Any updates? I must say her current sales have impressed me.

From Buzzjack:

Albums
    1 Kaiser Chiefs * (9,4k)
    2 Sam Bailey (8,6k)
    3 Johnny Cash * (8,1k)
    4 George Michael (5,6k)
    5 Christina Perri * (5,4k)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rottilargo wrote: »
    From Buzzjack:

Albums
    1 Kaiser Chiefs * (9,4k)
    2 Sam Bailey (8,6k)
    3 Johnny Cash * (8,1k)
    4 George Michael (5,6k)
    5 Christina Perri * (5,4k)

Oh wow! Didn't expect her to be 2nd! She's challenging number 1 too! Very impressive!
  • Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    Well done Sam! Fair play to her. I don't want to rain on her parade but she is still very fresh off the show and has been marketed around mothers day. I'm interested to see how the album will last and how her second one will do. That's the real test...

Good point. If her album was released at another time, would she still have sold as much? I assume people will have got their mother a Sam album, which may be her target market, considering her mothers day success. Well done to her though.
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Exact copies from last week
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Well done to Sam then I suppose. Just wish she could do something more dance pop or edgy because her voice is perfectly capable of it but this is a good stepping stone I suppose to build up a fan base. Good on her. :)

I don't see it that way tbh. Her fanbase at large like what she was on XF. They like the kind of material this album contains, at least to some extent. She needs to give them more of what they like and edgy dance pop isn't what her demographic buy into.

I've seen so often, artists who change genre and alienate their fanbase. Imo she needs more power ballads and originals but even a mix with good covers, maybe of songs not ordinarily covered to keep it fresher.

Play to your strengths and do what you're good at, that's what the GBP bought into and that's what they expect to be able to buy. Otherwise they vote with their feet. Just how I see it anyway. :)
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been a lot of discussion on how many albums Sam has sold but is the album actually any good?

Is this a ground breaking album with great tracks or is this thread celebrating a successful marketing campaign by men in grey suits over real music?

I've heard some great albums over the years by artists who never receive any media attention and sell less than 1,000 copies per album. But their music is astounding and they would never sell their artistic integrity to become one of Cowell's faux puppets.

I personally find it embarrassing that this thread seems to be a celebration that Syco has hammered another nail in the coffin of real musicianship for the sake of cheaply spun covers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Figures mean nothing. Let's enjoy the the music. Come on people
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    There has been a lot of discussion on how many albums Sam has sold but is the album actually any good?

Is this a ground breaking album with great tracks or is this thread celebrating a successful marketing campaign by men in grey suits over real music?

I've heard some great albums over the years by artists who never receive any media attention and sell less than 1,000 copies per album. But their music is astounding and they would never sell their artistic integrity to become one of Cowell's faux puppets.

I personally find it embarrassing that this thread seems to be a celebration that Syco has hammered another nail in the coffin of real musicianship for the sake of cheaply spun covers.

What's real musicianship? I'm playing devil's advocate here btw ;-) The ability to write new music isn't a test of musicianship imo. Some people shine at song writing, others shine at delivery. Elvis didn't write his songs after all. You really can't judge a singer by the material they have the opportunity to record, or whether they have the ability to create music of their own, only by how they deliver a tune and whether it appeals to your ear. That in itself is subjective. One man's meat is another's poison.

There are plenty of artists whose music is universally popular that on a personal level many others think is absolute rubbish after all. Some people are song writers, others are singers, and others are both.

I don't disagree that Sam's album is anything other than a quick cash in. It didn't appeal to me but it obvously appeals to a lot of other people. Is our view any more credible than someone's elses?

Music which stands the test of time indicates to me it is good music whatever the genre....and there are plenty of songs I personally wouldn't want to listen to as I think it's sh*te, which are universally acclaimed. It's all personal taste at the end of the day.

Different people look for different things in music, whether it be lyrics, melody, vocal tone/style, beat, fashion, emotion, or a combination of some or all of those.

Different strokes for different folks really the way I see it
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people were expecting the album to dive after Mothers day was over, so well done to her if she only drops to no 2 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

This is the XF forum, not the general music forum. Of course some people are going to cheer for last year's winner doing well. Particularly when they seem nice and don't fit the demographic target the show's aimed for heavily in the last few years.

The charts have always been full of manufactured product. These great artists of yours - they should be working their way up through the club and festival circuits, using streaming and social media, leveraging general indie or genre media to get the word out. At least here in the US, there are 1/4th the number of major label artists as 10 years ago, but there are 6x the successful indies. There's no reason to not be able to make a living if you're a good indie act, and there's less need for a label than ever.
  • Options
    kleinzachkleinzach Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    My point was that making those kind of comparisons is misleading and redundant. Sam is an albums artist. Airplay will never be a major part of her strategy because radio isn't interested and her singles wouldn't chart well. Little Mix and James are more singles artists who will get airplay and use that to shift some albums. And Mother's Day wouldn't be a part of their plan.

I just think it might be wise to exercise some caution. I don't have a dog in this race. But all this gloating on one weeks sales could very quickly come back to bite... it's a solid start and great to get a #1 album. But it's not done yet.

I have heard the winners single very frequently on radio - not just end of last year but very recently too, s I wouldn't entirely rule out airplay. She isn't a Radio 1 artist, but Radio 2 is good for sales.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Oh wow! Didn't expect her to be 2nd! She's challenging number 1 too! Very impressive!

Midweek's

1 Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education & War (12,2k)
    2 Sam Bailey - The Power Of Love (11,5k)
    3 Johnny Cash - Out Among The Stars (10,7k)
    4 George Michael - Symphonica (7,9k)
    5 Christina Perri - Head Or Heart (7k)

Just 700 behind Kaiser Chief's. Strong weekend sales and she could retain the no 1 slot.
  • Options
    noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the fastest selling album of the year so far and the 4th best opening week by an X Factor winner.

I think she has pretty much outstripped the lowly predictions made by so many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's only 44 copies behind number 1. She was over 1000 behind on Monday, she's caught up every day! She could make number one again!
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow she is doing really well. I am not sure how well she will hold up during the weekend as the voice final is on tomorrow where the Kaiser Chiefs singer is a judge so he may get a boost from that.
  • Options
    Steady40Steady40 Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    Wow she is doing really well. I am not sure how well she will hold up during the weekend as the voice final is on tomorrow where the Kaiser Chiefs singer is a judge so he may get a boost from that.

Perhaps.... Will only have about 6 hours, when most of the shops will be closed. If it's really close, could do it on downloads I guess.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Its just an album of classic covers though....
    I do like her, but I'm personally disappointed she has released a kareoke cash in album.
  • Options
    rsefitpro07rsefitpro07 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think shes doing great, especially as so many said she would fail!. I just hope that her career continues to blossom, especially with the new kid on the horizon!