Options

The Radio Times?

contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love the RT and the articles and tv shows to look out for etc. I like the q&A's with celebs and radio presenters but I cant see the point of

Sarah Millican
Tim Downing
Eddie Mair

Filling a page or a half a page with what they think is funny is ideal for a blog but what the heck has it to do with the RT

I wish they would avoid the feeling that they have to have "hum:(our" as if it were a needless sunday supplement

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SATURDAY MAIL TV Guide is the best - and so cheap.

The RT is a waste of time and money. Even when I was getting it free no one could be bothered reading it.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I like all those columnists mentioned. I find the RT an excellent way of passing the odd few slack moments at work and as its recommendations (mostly) chime with my own viewing tastes a useful reference too. But I alway skip over all the boring Strictly Talentless Baking articles.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have taken the Radio Times ever since I can remember and will continue to do so. No way would I ever buy the Daily Mail!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Mair's column is usually very good.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

Its average at best and could be filled with some more details about a radio show or an article about radio that is factual and not just some blokes musings
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that old mag still going? Haven't bought for about 12 years.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the fifties RT peaked with sales of almost 9 million per week (its about 800,000 now). Post monopoly it went upmarket whilst everything new was cheap or free. Have to say though the Christmas RT is still required reading for me and even though the price doubles, the sales do as well -and more.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

I like Eddie's sense of humour.

I find 'Previously On PM' a great way to end the week.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    In the fifties RT peaked with sales of almost 9 million per week (its about 800,000 now). Post monopoly it went upmarket whilst everything new was cheap or free. Have to say though the Christmas RT is still required reading for me and even though the price doubles, the sales do as well -and more.

Can't justify spending £1.80 on it (slightly less if sub) every week, but do agree the Christmas RT is very good - just seems to make a great big deal of the festive season tv and does it perfectly IMO.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It offers me the best guide to what's on TV and Radio. There are more details about each program than I've found in other guides and I usually agree with their recommendations.

In fact, on the odd occasion when I've not been able to get a copy of the RT and bought an alternative (either dedicated guide, or newspaper with free guide included) I've always been very disappointed with the lack of information and the vast coverage given to soaps and reality shows.

Each to their own, which is why there is a choice of guides, but I've been buying RT for 30 years and have no plans to stop.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it on subscription and couldn't be without it. I find Eddie Mair amusing, and he does write about current events and topics in radio in a round about way.

The person I have an issue with is Alison Graham. I've stopped reading her Preview Choices, as she gives the plot away too much, and often whole rafts of dialogue! A preview is not a review Alison!

I think the Letter's Page has dumbed down somewhat - apart from mine ofcourse, which was published a while ago. ;-)

I really look forward to opening each issue and going through my favourite bits, one of which is on the opening page, where they ask broadcasters, actors etc. what they're watching, listening to at the moment.

Fundamentally, it provides my needs with wanting to know what's on the telly or radio in one magazine, so worth buying, and I miss it when I don't get a delivery.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It offers me the best guide to what's on TV and Radio. There are more details about each program than I've found in other guides and I usually agree with their recommendations.

In fact, on the odd occasion when I've not been able to get a copy of the RT and bought an alternative (either dedicated guide, or newspaper with free guide included) I've always been very disappointed with the lack of information and the vast coverage given to soaps and reality shows.

Each to their own, which is why there is a choice of guides, but I've been buying RT for 30 years and have no plans to stop.

Have you thought about taking out a sub to it? At £39 for 26 issues that works out at £1.50 an issue - saving 30p a week, and delivered to your door on a Tuesday. I subbed at the beginning of the year and got the RT Film Guide 2014 with it - they do some cracking offers sometimes.
  • Options
    sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I love the RT - I get it every week. It's the only magazine I ever read (barring whatever rubbish is in the doctor's surgery - usually Hello and OK and other magazines full of orange people who apparently are famous for something).
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks the Radio Times is quite expensive now?
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise the Radio Times was still on the go. I thought this type of publication had had it's day given on screen planners and the amount of information given in standard newspapers and mags. Surely it's just a matter of time.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    We have taken the Radio Times ever since I can remember and will continue to do so. No way would I ever buy the Daily Mail!

The Saturday DM includes an excellent tv guide, so I frequently buy it for that as it is cheaper, and often superior to some tv mags, but like you, no way do I touch the rag the rest of the week.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise the Radio Times was still on the go. I thought this type of publication had had it's day given on screen planners and the amount of information given in standard newspapers and mags. Surely it's just a matter of time.

sometimes I'll get one of the cheaper TV mags , but none of them have any detailed radio listings , a lot of them have none at all .

• Options
    Forum Member
    the amount of information given in standard newspapers and mags.
    It is the paucity of the information in such publications which means there is still a market for dedicated magazines.
  • Options
    Paul_MountPaul_Mount Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Can't justify spending £1.80 on it (slightly less if sub) every week, but do agree the Christmas RT is very good - just seems to make a great big deal of the festive season tv and does it perfectly IMO.

Seriously? You can't justify £1.80 per week?? Is that really a tipping-point amount of money in your life then?? Amazing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the Radio Times is quite expensive now?

Not compared to, say, a packet of cigarettes or a pint of beer. But I daresay people whining about the cost of a magazine can find money for those treats!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Then presumably you walk into newsagents and supermarkets and shops with your eyes shut as the Radio Times is pretty high profile in most places that sell....things. Or are you just trying to clever by pretending you thought a magazine you're sniffy about doesn't exist any more? Answers on a postcard....if you don't begrudge the cost of a stamp...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_Mount wrote: »
    Seriously? You can't justify £1.80 per week?? Is that really a tipping-point amount of money in your life then?? Amazing...
    Not compared to, say, a packet of cigarettes or a pint of beer. But I daresay people whining about the cost of a magazine can find money for those treats!
    Then presumably you walk into newsagents and supermarkets and shops with your eyes shut as the Radio Times is pretty high profile in most places that sell....things. Or are you just trying to clever by pretending you thought a magazine you're sniffy about doesn't exist any more? Answers on a postcard....if you don't begrudge the cost of a stamp...
    Stupid boy.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still buy it every week but never look at the articles or anything apart from the schedules

TV and radio schedules is what I buy it for.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sometimes I'll get one of the cheaper TV mags , but none of them have any detailed radio listings , a lot of them have none at all .
    Good point about the radio info. I didn't think of that despite the name of the publication!
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is the paucity of the information in such publications which means there is still a market for dedicated magazines.
    The one's I've seen in friends homes seem to have a load of info in them. Maybe it's just not the right info for everyone of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At most it is a cut and paste job from the broadcaster's published schedule.