Can a laptop screen just crack?

dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter's laptop screen has cracked, she has only had it since Christmas.

She has said she hasn't dropped it, but left it on overnight and when she woke up the screen was cracked. Can a laptop screen just crack without anything physical being done to it?

Personally I think not, what I think happened she had friends sleeping over and the laptop was left on the floor, and I would say someone accidentally stood on it, but can't be sure and nobody has said they did.

It is a Toshibia laptop, and have taken it back to Argos to look at, and they have sent it away and have come back and said it must have been dropped, and they want to charge £72.00 to fix it. Is £72.00 reasonable?

Comments

• radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the alternative is ?
    Its cheaper than a new lap top
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    My daughter's laptop screen has cracked, she has only had it since Christmas.

She has said she hasn't dropped it, but left it on overnight and when she woke up the screen was cracked. Can a laptop screen just crack without anything physical being done to it?

Personally I think not, what I think happened she had friends sleeping over and the laptop was left on the floor, and I would say someone accidentally stood on it, but can't be sure and nobody has said they did.

It is a Toshibia laptop, and have taken it back to Argos to look at, and they have sent it away and have come back and said it must have been dropped, and they want to charge £72.00 to fix it. Is £72.00 reasonable?
    I wouldn't say it was impossible for the screen to just crack, but I have never known it happen. I could imagine if you were able to transport the laptop from the North Pole to the Equator in a couple of seconds the change in temperatures involved might do some damage :D

As you say far more likely is someone isn't manning (womaning? :)) up and admitting to breaking it.

If you google "Tosihba Laptop Screen" you can find all sorts of prices for just the display panel, ranging from 20 to 150 quid or more depending on model. So 72 quid including fitting doesn't sound too outrageous. Though if you have a reputable local computer shop nearby might be worth asking them how much they would charge.

Of course if you are qualified to use a screw driver you could buy a screen and DIY the swap out. Might save a few quid. Try googling the model number and "screen replacement" you never know someone may have posted a YouTube video showing how to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    <look at the user name> Not unless it was subject to unequal pressure from the laptop manufacturing process. IMO she's dropped it, never known an LCD to crack of it's own accord in nearly 28 years of intimacy with them. £72 is a good deal, bite his arm off.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice...didn't think it just happened.