Options

Ironing for beginners......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone give me advice on which iron to buy (preferably on t'internet or from Argos) and is a bigger ironing board better?

Up until now I've always given my unironed stuff to a mates mum to do - she was cheap and did a really cracking job but unfortunately she's moved abroad. :rolleyes:

I'd also be very grateful for any tips when doing the ironing too.

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would always suggest a wireless one, it's easier to use and you have the option to keep the cable attached should you need it to stay very hot all the time.

Tips on ironing? Get a tumble drier, wash clothes with fabric softener and immediately throw them in the tumble drier when done, then before the drier stops pull the laundry out and put on hanger. Throw away the iron :)

Seriously though it really is just a case of laying item flat and running the iron over for most things. Just pay attention to the temperature settings which will be on each garment.
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a Philips Azure and it's great, although I hate piggin ironing, it does make it easier. Friends/neighbours whose own irons have broken or what not have borrowed mine in the past and remarked how much better it was than theirs and were going to buy the same.

Expect to pay around the £35 mark. Something like the Phillips or a Tefal - I had a Tefal before, well 2 or 3 - I have a nasty habit of knocking them onto the floor. I'd say the Phillips is the best so far though. Easy glide, straight forward controls, good steam etc.

Go too cheap and it will make the chore of ironing so much more painful and too expensive, much more to go wrong - or like my neighbour, too heavy to lift. The cordless are rubbish, they go cold too quickly.

Just taken a quick peek at Argos and they haven't got the model I have they do have one called Philips Easycare Steam Iron which looks very similar for £39.99.

As far as ironing boards are concerned, an ironing board is just an ironing board to me I'm afraid. They all look the same except some do look sturdier than others. If you have the space then maybe a wider one would be easier. I have just found the softer the cushioning on the top the better, but then its easy enough to find an ironing board cover if you need extra padding. Having a look at Argos it all depends really how much you want to spend. There are ones that look just fine for around £16 but go up to £30 odd for the more deluxe versions.

When you are ready for some tips give us a shout, although I find everyone kind of learns their own way of doing things and some are more meticulous. than others - I'm a 'oh that'll do kind' of gal. lol Happy to help, it just might be much easier to be shown at first.

Just don't put neat tram lines in your jeans lol. Shiny materials may melt - turn the heat right down and test on an inconspicuous area first. Some trousers may go shiny - iron them inside out if necessary. Even better - find someone to do your ironing for you again.
  • Options
    hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote:
    I use a Philips Azure and it's great, although I hate piggin ironing, it does make it easier. Friends/neighbours whose own irons have broken or what not have borrowed mine in the past and remarked how much better it was than theirs and were going to buy the same.

Expect to pay around the £35 mark. Something like the Phillips or a Tefal - I had a Tefal before, well 2 or 3 - I have a nasty habit of knocking them onto the floor. I'd say the Phillips is the best so far though. Easy glide, straight forward controls, good steam etc.

Go too cheap and it will make the chore of ironing so much more painful and too expensive, much more to go wrong - or like my neighbour, too heavy to lift. The cordless are rubbish, they go cold too quickly.
    Just taken a quick peek at Argos and they haven't got the model I have they do have one called Philips Easycare Steam Iron which looks very similar for £39.99.

As far as ironing boards are concerned, an ironing board is just an ironing board to me I'm afraid. They all look the same except some do look sturdier than others. If you have the space then maybe a wider one would be easier. I have just found the softer the cushioning on the top the better, but then its easy enough to find an ironing board cover if you need extra padding. Having a look at Argos it all depends really how much you want to spend. There are ones that look just fine for around £16 but go up to £30 odd for the more deluxe versions.

When you are ready for some tips give us a shout, although I find everyone kind of learns their own way of doing things and some are more meticulous. than others - I'm a 'oh that'll do kind' of gal. lol Happy to help, it just might be much easier to be shown at first.

Just don't put neat tram lines in your jeans lol. Shiny materials may melt - turn the heat right down and test on an inconspicuous area first. Some trousers may go shiny - iron them inside out if necessary. Even better - find someone to do your ironing for you again.

I must get the make of my cordless for you, it really doesn't go cold too quickly at all. Maybe if you ironed sheets and the like (fortunately I pay for them to get done!) but for shirts its great.
  • Options
    gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colwyn bay wrote:
    There was this thread the other week: How To Iron?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Krups iron that turns itself off after few seconds of non-activity when horizontal and few minutes of inactivity when vertical. Brilliant for forgetful people like myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate ironing with a passion, and used to go through an iron every 6 months as my OH would iron everything on the hottest setting, therefore burning the base.

I bought a proper steam generator iron and it made all the difference. The pressure from the steam cuts through the hardest creases and makes it so much quicker to iron clothes. The only downside is that it takes longer to warm up than a standard iron, but a full tank will give you about 2 hours constant ironing. As the water is kept in a separate tank the iron is quite light.

I paid about £65 for mine, but they've come down in price a lot ( I think you can get one for about £40 in Asda). The time i've saved is well worth it!

Edit: Argos have this one in clearance - reduced from £50 to £19.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4109536/Trail/C%24cip%3D42001.Kitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%3EC%24cip%3D44804.Clearance%2BKitchen%2Band%2Blaundry.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow that looks good value - anyone else got one of these?

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awwww bugger - I tried to reserve it online and it's out of stock! :(
  • Options
    Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I don't do alot of ironing (typical man) but I am starting to think I have been doing it wrong.

I was always led to believe you got better results ironing on a hotter temperature and this is what I have always done but have heard people say this isn't the case...........

Any comments, suggestions and advice welcome
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang clothes up straight after washing, saves ironing. Shirts are a little more troublesome, but you can always use some easy iron conditioner and hang them straight up after washng, cuts down a lot of the creases I find.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at school 1,500 years ago,the first thing we were taught in Domestic Science was how to iron a shirt. Luckily for you OP, I still remember how to do it.

However it will be easier if you just look at this.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bald1 wrote: »
    I don't do alot of ironing (typical man) but I am starting to think I have been doing it wrong.

I was always led to believe you got better results ironing on a hotter temperature and this is what I have always done but have heard people say this isn't the case...........

Any comments, suggestions and advice welcome

Do you realise OP that you dragged up an almost seven year old thread?

Still, I suppose ironing is ironing whatever year it's done, although some fabrics/fashions/irons may vary.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanndav wrote: »
    I would always suggest a wireless one, it's easier to use and you have the option to keep the cable attached should you need it to stay very hot all the time.

Tips on ironing? Get a tumble drier, wash clothes with fabric softener and immediately throw them in the tumble drier when done, then before the drier stops pull the laundry out and put on hanger. Throw away the iron :)

Seriously though it really is just a case of laying item flat and running the iron over for most things. Just pay attention to the temperature settings which will be on each garment.

You may have been joking but I am a big advocate of this. I take items out of the tumble when they are slightly damp and then hang them up. 9 times out of 10, they don't need ironing and those that do barely need it.

* I do realise this is a very old thread, as is the post I am replying to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    You may have been joking but I am a big advocate of this. I take items out of the tumble when they are slightly damp and then hang them up. 9 times out of 10, they don't need ironing and those that do barely need it.

* I do realise this is a very old thread, as is the post I am replying to.

I think I'll try this in the future. I spent 4 1/2 hours yesterday ironing, bloody boring.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoulders
    Collar
    Sleeves
    Back
    Front

I had that drilled into me by my mum, - must have scarred me though, as i no longer possess an iron.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Shoulders
    Collar
    Sleeves
    Back
    Front

I had that drilled into me by my mum, - must have scarred me though, as i no longer possess an iron.
    Only do the bits that can be seen, so for school shirts worn under a blazer do the collar, cuffs & front panels, and only do the back, arms & the yoke if it'll all be visible. T-shirts - quick whizz over the front & arms, job done. Trousers - never put a crease down the front just lay them flat & press out the creases up to the seams. Most clothers look right once they've been worn for half an hour anyway. Its also easier to do 2-3 sessions through the week rather than save it all till Sunday night, altho if you do it's a good excuse to work your way through a bottle of wine whilst you do it. Don't try to follow well-made subtitled French dramas when ironing tho - can't be done. :)

We've got a Bosch something or other, cost about £40 from Currys. One thing you want to watch out for is how big the water fill hole is. Some are minute and you waste ages drizzling water into the body. Get one with a good sized filler.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    colwyn bay wrote: »

don`t start what you can`t finish.

don`t start at all just put it in the drier damp.

i only use an iron for sewing.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Shoulders
    Collar
    Sleeves
    Back
    Front

Lol I haven't used mine in a year.

I dry everything on a clothes horse, and hang it up, straight away when dry, no space for an ironing basket.

Non iron school clothes are great!
  • Options
    NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2006 thread alert...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colwyn bay wrote: »
    Can anyone give me advice on which iron to buy (preferably on t'internet or from Argos) and is a bigger ironing board better?

Up until now I've always given my unironed stuff to a mates mum to do - she was cheap and did a really cracking job but unfortunately she's moved abroad. :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance :)

I recommend a good iron which has a good steam output &
    Shot of steam. This is important when ironing linen and cotton items.

I learned from experience not buy an iron with steam buttons which stick out as a certainclumsy person knocked it off the ironing board and the buttons snapped and broke, all within a day of buying the iron!.

Do not simply go for a cheap iron unless you like wearing creased clothing and spending ages attempting to remove the creases, this is both frustrating and unproductive.

Do not buy the liquid fragrance stuff from supermarket, it will pong your iron out and make unpleasant to iron.

Iron cotton and linen when slightly damp as it makes ironing easier.

Always test the iron on theironing board before ironing thin delicate fabrics or they may stick to the iron.

When ironing certain items such as trousers, use a thin scarf over the top, unless you like shiny bits. This happens when trying to remove double crease lines down the centre.

When ironing shirt hems, do not iron in one direction only as the thin hem which get bends in it.

When ironing shirts iron sleeves first, then use the end of the board to iron the area around the shoulders before ironing the rest of it, iron the inside not outside.

If I think of anymore i'll let you know.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice how people are reading the 1st post and replying without realising it was six years ago :)

The OP might now be married and his good lady wife might be doing all his ironing for him ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice how people are reading the 1st post and replying without realising it was six years ago :)

The OP might now be married and his good lady wife might be doing all his ironing for him ..

That's such a sexist attitude, I no longer iron as my good gentleman husband does it all.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

are you replying in 1950?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm .. I guess I assumed incorrectly that the phrase "good lady wife" would have suggested I wasn't being entirely serious..
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Mrs, burn something on purpose the first time you iron, bingo you will never have to do it again.