Strictly Come Dancing...'it takes two'..chat thread.. (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashrell wrote: »
    I think the whole "women votes for the good-looking guys" is quite untrue on these forums - the people here are the most dedicated and hardcore Strictly fans, who can comment on performances unclouded (well, most of the time ;)) and go into in-depth analysis about things. But for the casual viewers, like the people at my school or people on other forums, I think there is a tendency to vote for people they like the look of. And seeing as the target audience is more female for these shows, plus the fact that men usually are less likely to vote for these things then women, it's not entirely untrue that good looking guys do well. If you consider the beginning of the competition I think there was an element of that, too - Gethin (I'm not trying to pick on him at all) wasn't fantastic at the beginning, until the VW week, but had despite that never been in the bottom two. I really think that people judge him now on merit because he has proved he can dance, but at the beginning I think there was quite a few votes for his appearance.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that while the vast majority of forum members do not vote for such superficial reasons, a lot of the general public do.

I am inclined to agree with you simply because we all do it. Superficially, I am going to be more attracted to a good looking female than one who resembles Shreks' sister. Of course, I may subsequently change my mind, but initially we are (alot of the time) attracted by appearance.

My first thoughts when I saw Alesha were that she was extremely beautiful. The great fun personality and partnership with Matthew was only revealed in the preview programme.

It definitely is a factor (possibly a major one), as alluded to by that Daniel geezer on ITT today. Did anyone else think that Claudia quickly changed the subject when he expanded on why he thought Matt and Gethin would make the final??

I made the point on another thread, that if the demographics of voters consisted mainly of men, I would expect the reverse to be true.

Having said this, I do think because Alesha is such a 'sweetie', she can definitely overcome 'the fit bloke who can dance' factor, at least to the final. If she dances well on Saturday, she has as good a chance as either Matt or Gethin.

If, however, it was Gabby instead of Alesha dancing on Saturday, she'd be wasting her time turning up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olive0000 wrote: »
    lol i get the feeling alesha told claudia that in confidence and then she just broadcast that to millions.

Yes, I thought this also. Probably said it to Claudia before they went on air, and Claudia decides to mention it on air.

I thought Alesha was momentarily embarrassed when Claudia blurted it out.
  • Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Yes, I thought this also. Probably said it to Claudia before they went on air, and Claudia decides to mention it on air.

I thought Alesha was momentarily embarrassed when Claudia blurted it out.

People who want to see a more human side to her, may appreciate it though.

I think it's obvious Claudia has been an Alesha fan from the start so maybe she was trying to win her a few more votes for Saturday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claudia is well known to be tactless though. She's not thoughtless just blurts things out. I'm sure everyone knows this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,779
    Forum Member
    kitty_MC wrote: »
    When did Matt Cutler become walking sex?

Probably for me about the time of the Pro Cha Cha Cha last year............if you're surprised at the "walking sex" thing you shouldn't be ;)
    peach45 wrote: »
    Alesha looks upset.

She did :(
    lol i get the feeling alesha told claudia that in confidence and then she just broadcast that to millions.

Alesha would not have wanted that bringing up in a live interview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duryea wrote: »
    Oh, for pity's sake. :rolleyes:

It is supremely insulting for people to state as fact that people only vote for him because he's good looking. In fact it's passive-agressiveness of the highest order. He's techincally very good and his performance is great.

Did you see that clip on the BBC website? And endless stream of giggling women saying they liked Gethin the best beacuse he's gorgeous.
    tawny wrote: »
    I do not agree at all - I think he has been consistently undermarked & Alesha has sometimes been overmarked - but I guess few of us are experts & we all see things differently!

I think he's been consistently over marked and he's now the teachers pet far more than Alesha was but the fact that he's a man negates any backlash.

Isn't it funny how only women are considered to be teacher's pets?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member

What? I missed the whole show. I'm back at work this week and I cant get the bleeting new dvd recorder to do as I say!
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I shan't be watching the final if it is an all-male contest tbh as I would find it boring like last year.
    I am the opposite to these "women of a certain age" who want to see see-thru shirts & wriggling male hips, I want to see a fairy princess & beautiful gowns :o. (& I'm in the same age-bracket).
    Up until last Sat I did not mind who out of Gethin & Matt got through as they both were on a par imo with Alesha, as I think all three can dance well. However Gethin has upped his game & Matt has had a glitch. So it's all to play for in the semi's - the best man next Sat to win a place hopefully.
    Yes these panels are a silly waste of time, if they'd not bothered they could have had M&A on for more than 5 mins. It makes you wonder how much dosh they are being paid to just sit there & witter on about rubbish :eek:.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,217
    Forum Member
    Did you see that clip on the BBC website? And endless stream of giggling women saying they liked Gethin the best beacuse he's gorgeous.

I think he's been consistently over marked and he's now the teachers pet far more than Alesha was but the fact that he's a man negates any backlash.

I didn't see that clip but :rolleyes: sad really, he isn't even that good looking, don't get me wrong he isn't ugly, but he is nothing specail either.

I much perfer Matt C :D now he is what you call Gorgeous :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairygirl wrote: »
    Probably for me about the time of the Pro Cha Cha Cha last year.

Ooh yes, I remember the pro Cha Cha, and I especially remember Matthew in it. I never thought much of the Cha Cha as a dance before then.

As far as the Gethin argument is concerned, I think his looks do enhance his appeal (just as George Clooney's looks have probably helped him as an actor and made those Oscars easier to achieve). But Gethin's dancing has also improved signficantly throughout the series.

Having said that, I'm more likely to vote for Alesha next time.
  • ejakejak Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :mad: ITT pointless guests endless recaps and short interviews from semi finalist's :mad::mad::mad:

I was also suprised to learn that the dress Alesha wore on saturday had been fitted at the beginning of the show. I mean I know they have to make these things in advance but I didn't realise it was so far in front.

Of course if the bbc had given over more time to important interviews ie people in the show and not pointless guests we maybe would learn alot more about production and back stage goings on.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member

Except you are saying he's teacher's pet now, and you're not the only one. Why is it OK when you say it?
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Except you are saying he's teacher's pet now, and you're not the only one. Why is it OK when you say it?

It shouldn't be ok for anyone to say it about Alesha, Gethin or Matt. None of them have or are teacher's pet. They are not in School, this is a dancng compersition.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »
    It shouldn't be ok for anyone to say it about Alesha, Gethin or Matt. None of them have or are teacher's pet. They are not in School, this is a dancng compersition.

Agreed. More cheerfully, 2 great song choices for Alesha, if people are right on what they heard.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off to watch the pandas - Zhen Zhen is outside with her Mum for the first time ever today! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Well said, xTonix. Maybe we can ban it like the j word is banned.

Looking forward to seeing ITT, and hoping that all 3 couples do a blinder on Sat... I'm excited already!
    Forum Member
    Agreed. More cheerfully, 2 great song choices for Alesha, if people are right on what they heard.

I know, I can't wait for Saturday :D I luv watching Alesha and Matt C dance :D they really do make me smile, and I never take my eyes of the screen when they are dancing :D
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you ITT!

Matthew Cutler and Daniel Boys on the same show!:D :D Best ITT ever

Even if Daniel did say he prefers Gethin!
    Forum Member
    BlurAlly wrote: »
    I agree.
    What I object to is that apparently you cannot like someone's appearance or compliment it without being accused of voting for just that. Isn't it all part of the package?

If I said I though Alesha was gorgeous wingling her hips would it get the same anger if I said I loved Gethin's bum? No I would be told that I was voting just for his appearance. Its all a bit ridiculous.

It should be more about the dancing surely, believe it or not I was gutted that Willie got voted off so soon, his dancing was really good for a beginner, very light on his feet and moved beautifully - (short dark baldheaded bloke? snooker player I think?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not saying he's teachers pet, I was saying that if the praise that Alesha got made her teacher's pet then Gethin is more of one now.

If no one kept banging on about how the women are teachers pet's I wouldn't have said it. Its not Gethin I have a problem with, it's the disgusting amounts of sexism on these boards.

Woman does well? Let's do everything we can to tear her down. Man does well? Let's fall over ourselves to praise him.
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Dunno but I think it's certainly got pace. Try this one

If its the one, its only going to be murdered by one of those awful singers on the show.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one that is not surprised nor upset by what the four guests said?

It's obvious that there will be people out there voting based on looks alone and that Daniel guy was quite right to say that many voters out there are female voters who like fit guys, as in many reality programmes. If you don't believe this, just read the rubbish gushing in the BBC forum...

Having said that, I am sad to see Alesha so down. Matthew said she's a (good) witch, in that whatever she said would happen will happen. Even Matthew looked a little resigned that it might be their last week come Saturday or is it just me? :( After watching them so downcast I was sooooo tempted to pick up the phone and vote for them, but I have this principle of voting only during or after the show before 9pm, so I must resist... :o

But on a more shallow side, I can't help, even as a straight guy, to notice that Matthew wore a very good-looking tie. :D

I don't think the jury is out as to who will be in the finals. If there will be a dance off, I am quite sure the judges WILL choose Alesha over and above the other two male celebs. Ironically, I have voted for both Matt and Gethin and not Alesha though I like her the most. *feels ashamed of myself*...
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vincy82 wrote: »
    It should be more about the dancing surely, believe it or not I was gutted that Willie got voted off so soon, his dancing was really good for a beginner, very light on his feet and moved beautifully - (short dark baldheaded bloke? snooker player I think?)

I shall not want to put Willie through the misery of doing a latin number! :eek: Jive? Salsa? Samba? or *argh* RHUMBA??? It must be evil at the highest order to vote him through to see him dancing to these latin routines!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shall not want to put Willie through the misery of doing a latin number! :eek: Jive? Salsa? Samba? or *argh* RHUMBA??? It must be evil at the highest order to vote him through to see him dancing to these latin routines!

To be fair, I thought Kenny was going to be hideous at the rumba but he actually did quite well.... you never know, Willie may have exposed his sexy side ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like "Valerie" for the QS. For me it sounds too heavy beatwise. Would prefer something lighter and more uplifting.
This discussion has been closed.