Merlin from...well....Merlin) Vs. Willow (from Buffy)

I know I did a previous Buffy vs Edward (from Twilight, and got his ssurname wrong haha) but I think this would be a fair game fight...

They're both portrayed as about the same age...

Willow developed her powers a bit faster than Merlin, but Merlin had a teacher rather than just books.

Going from what I gather, Willow would just beat him down straight away.

But then Merlin is the grandad of magic...

What do people think?

Comments

• NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't know Buffy but...Merlin is immortal. So he's always going to win in the end. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Oh....haha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    If he's immortal, why does it matter wwhen he gets into danger?
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's immortal, why does it matter wwhen he gets into danger?
    Well they may or may not have only decided he was immortal at the end of this last series. With the writers and producers Merlin had it's hard to tell. :p
    Plus it was most often Arthur/Camelot in danger and Merlin saving him/it. ;)
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willow could do all sorts of stuff with her magic. The vast majority of the time, Merlin just moved stuff.

He'd be skinned alive before Willow could say "Bored now."
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Willow became a goddess of magic at the end of Buffy so I guess she'd beat Merlin in a head to head. She'd probably also find a spell to end his supposed immortality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Point of order - Willow appears to be technically immortal too (if you go by the comic continuation)
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merlin is sexier.

*Never having seen Buffy, I have nothing more sensible to add.* :p
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Immortality just means you don't die of old age, it doesn't mean you can't be killed.

I think, it's probably down to who got the drop on who. Whoever got surprised will be dead before they can react.

If no one is surprised then I reckon Willow would win because she can do all sorts of stuff with barely a gesture (at the height of her power, anyway) whereas, apart from a bit of telekinesis, Merlin tended to have to take his time over casting anything significant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Immortality just means you don't die of old age, it doesn't mean you can't be killed.

I think, it's probably down to who got the drop on who. Whoever got surprised will be dead before they can react.

If no one is surprised then I reckon Willow would win because she can do all sorts of stuff with barely a gesture (at the height of her power, anyway) whereas, apart from a bit of telekinesis, Merlin tended to have to take his time over casting anything significant.

Marlin stopped time first episode just by making his eyes red that's pretty good, also immortality means you can't die, merlin wins ( but is it a hollow victory? Who wants to live forever? What would happen if the world exploded?
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    Marlin stopped time first episode just by making his eyes red that's pretty good, also immortality means you can't die, merlin wins ( but is it a hollow victory? Who wants to live forever? What would happen if the world exploded?
    The difference is that Merlin started out stronger but fizzled and stunted while Willow kept getting stronger in terms of magic. Willow would win by sheer force in any sort of competitive magic contest while Merlin would win in a life or death situations because of his immortality.
    Forum Member
    moleymo wrote: »

The usual application of the term, Immortality, means you can't die of disease or old age. Invulnerability would mean you can't be killed.

The Greek and Norse deities, for example, were considered Immortal but they could still be killed. Ragnarok and all that :)

If you want to use a definition of Immortality in which Merlin can't die then he isn't Immortal because he definitely can (and almost did).

Of course, even if he couldn't die he could still be immobolised/imprisoned indefinitely.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Of course, even if he couldn't die he could still be immobolised/imprisoned indefinitely.
    Well, the ancient Greeks believed that an immortal could not die but I'd agree that Willow and the Scoobies would immobilze Merlin! And, as a befits a Greek Tragedy of a failed destiny, Willow would offer Xander as a sacrificial love toy to Merlin and while he moves in for the snog, he'll be chained to some magic power siphon that drains his powers into a computer generated prison that Willow uses to keep Merlin powerless while Anya rips Merlin's immortal heart out and feasts on it each day! At night while his heart regenerates, rats swarm his body to eat away his flesh... And, so it goes until Arthur rises again to become the once and future king... lol! :p
    Forum Member
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Well, the ancient Greeks believed that an immortal could not die but I'd agree that Willow and the Scoobies would immobilze Merlin! And, as a befits a Greek Tragedy of a failed destiny, Willow would offer Xander as a sacrificial love toy to Merlin and while he moves in for the snog, he'll be chained to some magic power siphon that drains his powers into a computer generated prison that Willow uses to keep Merlin powerless while Anya rips Merlin's immortal heart out and feasts on it each day! At night while his heart regenerates, rats swarm his body to eat away his flesh... And, so it goes until Arthur rises again to become the once and future king... lol! :p

Yeah, it always pays to have friends :D