Chris Moyles Tax Dodging

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Why is it always BBC employees?

As if the £145 a year tax wasn't enough, their employees love rubbing the tax payers nose in it.

It is against most of the BBC contracts to avoid tax. Pay an "appropriate amount of tax" is stipulated. Can they claw back BBC money ?

Liked the show, but would never support anything hes involved in again. All his rhetoric like "nurses and teachers should be paid more".

Greedy guy.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you can do this and the worst you will face is having to pay it back?

How about a prison sentence as well?

No wonder these people do these schemes, there's no criminal consequence!
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    He should be ordered to repay all that unpaid tax. :mad:

Like we all do.

Is there not a chance he may still have to? I noticed the comments on the story are 'closed for legal reasons'.

As for his 'I was naive' excuse, no you weren't, you lied, pure and simple. You stated you were a used car salesman when in fact you were a high profile presenter on a popular radio show>:( What an ass, I feel more strongly about this than the Jimmy Carr case, where the 'I was naive' line seemed a bit more apt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich individuals are the beneficiaries of economic infra-structure that takes money to maintain, tax money. Roads, police, NHS, schools etc etc.

When they don't pay their due tax it basically means that everyone else has to pay in more.

So these people should be treated far more severely, like prison severely.

The only reason they are not is because our political class are at it as well.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The likes of him and Jimmy Carr are simply scapegoats and distractions. It's much like the frenzy against those who falsely claim benefits. Using a small target to rile the public ...so people ignore the giant targets that are costing us billions.

It's an accountants job to help you pay the least amount legally possible. .

You shouldn't shout at celebs to pay tax that they don't legally have to..

...you should shout at the governments who knowingly leave these loopholes open so the super rich can get away with paying practically nothing.

Jimmy Carr used a loophole..and David Cameron derided him for it...so why wasn't the loophole shut?

Don't shout at the pig for eating all the food..shout at those who hold the pantry door open for them (the same people who then get annoyed because a tiny mouse like Chris Moyles decided to get in on the feast as well..because they only intended for the pigs to get fat..not the mice).
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet he's given more to the taxman than you, so who are you to judge?

It doesn't matter. He still avoided paying the full whack.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not relevant. I bet he's given more to the taxman than you, so who are you to judge?

Well that's a great argument isn't it,anyone that is rich can be as fraudulent and dishonest as they like, and no-one but other rich people can judge.

You could go the other route and say as much of his money came from us Licence-payers, he's taking it then not happy with being made filthy-rich by that, has decided to not give his dues back.

So hey I'll judge him thanks, and he seems quite a grubby individual who got himself involved in a tawdry scheme, just to make himself even richer than his ridiculous wage from Radio1 made him.

judged
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    The likes of him and Jimmy Carr are simply scapegoats and distractions. It's much like the frenzy against those who falsely claim benefits. Using a small target to rile the public ...so people ignore the giant targets that are costing us billions.

...you should shout at the governments who knowingly leave these loopholes open so the super rich can get away with paying practically nothing.

Jimmy Carr used a loophole..and David Cameron derided him for it...so why wasn't the loophole shut?

Don't shout at the pig for eating all the food..shout at those who hold the pantry door open for them (the same people who then get annoyed because a tiny mouse like Chris Moyles decided to get in on the feast as well..because they only intended for the pigs to get fat..not the mice).

I agree that there'll be massive companies that will be avoiding paying millions upon millions in tax. The Conservatives look after their wealthy friends. They're all talk.
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »

The whole point is it wasn't a loophole, it was fraud. What he did is way worse than Jimmy kar.

The 1% paying minimal tax is certainly not a distraction. Its billions a year.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really doesn't surprise me. He always had the attitude that the usual rules didn't apply to him. Far too self-centred to notice how embarrassing some of his ranting was.
    All his rhetoric like "nurses and teachers should be paid more".

Greedy guy.

It sounded empty at the time. He was far too indignant about not getting the proper, financial, recognition for his efforts, and complaining that he might be "cash rich", but was "time poor", and listing every new, very expensive, gadget he was getting a man round to install.

I remember the time he discovered one of his callers worked for a bailiff company. He gave her so much abuse for it, and as good as called her scum and she sounded close to tears. He was blaming her for making poor people's life a misery, being completely ignorant of the fact that the innocent party is often the person who needs the debt collected, and whose own business could go down the drain without it.
    Why is it always BBC employees?

As if the £145 a year tax wasn't enough, their employees love rubbing the tax payers nose in it.

It isn't always BBC employees. There are thousands and thousands of tax dodgers, and only a fraction of them are famous, and only a fraction of those have worked at the BBC. Officially, Chris Moyles wasn't a BBC employee, as he liked to point out, as it meant he could dodge all kinds of BBC rules.

The likes of Moyles are massive hypocrites, because he's been so gobby about certain things. However, the bulk of the fault must lie with the accountants. They will know that a particular loop-hole they are working is out-with the spirit of the law, and it's only a matter of time before it's shut down, and their clients are expected to pay it back.

It's inevitable, and sensible, that show-biz types who have an unsteady income, and run their career as a business, should run their financial affairs as a business. Paying themselves a salary and being "tax efficient" etc, is all perfectly legal and reasonable, but they need to make sure their accountant isn't taking the micky.

Managing your financial affairs so that you have a huge income, but pay less tax than people on very modest incomes, is nothing short of immoral.

And yes, it is my business, because I pay my tax, and I am living in a society being hurt by cut-backs.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isn't Moyles in jail? Woman gets 6 months in the clink for £70K dole fraud. Perhaps she should have been a loud mouthed talentless DJ.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. Yet another celebrity hypocrite??!

Never would have thought it.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it wonderful to think that fat-salaried celebs deem it necessary to tax dodge when ordinary people get walloped for tax on their wages/income tax, even if they are just over a threshold margin (but pay up without complaint or managing to wheeler-deal).

Of course, Chris Moyles (etc)'s saved tax is far more important than mine or your's, and can therefore be hived off for him to enjoy privately, whilst the 'little people' do all the coughing up for the country.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a553053/chris-moyles-claimed-to-be-second-hand-car-dealer-in-tax-scheme.html

First Carr was exposed, now him. How many other big names were / are doing this?

I'll bet all of them! It doesn't really matter though as they all do sterling work for charidee!

I must admit though - I had to laugh at the 'used car salesman' cover. I'd have said that Moyles actually could actually pass for one - but I've met several nice-looking, hard-working, honest used-car salesmen (in fact with the exception of one - all my cars have been bought from used-car salesmen) so saying Moyles looks like one now sounds like a bit of an insult to used-car salesmen.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    And this jerk expects people to believe it was a 'mistake' and his brave enough to take 'responsibility' yet he says he's no tax expert and was told it was legal, thus pushing responsibility onto someone else.

Moyles appealed against the original ruling, declaring he and others had traded in cars. So it's only when it went public he suddenly got a twinge of guilt and took 'responsibility'.

Considering what he's mouthed off about in the past, ie late pay, he was surprisingly quiet about him being a used car salesman in 2008 and the tax investigation.

And he just happened to have £1m laying around in 2008 to lend...mmmm.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    So you can do this and the worst you will face is having to pay it back?

How about a prison sentence as well?

No wonder these people do these schemes, there's no criminal consequence!

If he was deemed to be outwith the rules, he will likely have to pay late payment interest and penalties on anything he owes.

I don't blame him for having a go though, I would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Well spotted.
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Moyles appealed against the original ruling, declaring he and others had traded in cars. So it's only when it went public he suddenly got a twinge of guilt and took 'responsibility'.

Sums it up.

I'm first in the queue to blame dodgy accountants, but as soon as you get a letter from HMRC, you get a new accountant to look things over, and explain it to you. Around about then, you realise that you weren't a used car salesman after all, and that's the time that the "naive celebrity" tries to fix things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a nutshell, until it's made a criminal offense to hive off or dress up any monies under the guise of anything than what it is intended/stated to be for, it'll continue. Really it's the powers-that-be at fault for letting this go on unchecked and there still being schemes that allow people to do it.

I don't like having to pay tax either but I do it, and I make a fraction of what Mr Moyles does. I don't think it's fair for me either and I have far fewer houses, boats, holidays and choices than him.

It's really down to the individual but I wouldn't feel right doing what these guys are doing. Not when so many people (myself included) play by the book.
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could find a loophole to avoid tax and I bet a majority of people would if they tell the truth :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jioscar wrote: »
    I wish I could find a loophole to avoid tax and I bet a majority of people would if they tell the truth :)

Telling the truth: I wouldn't.

To me it's not worth the stress it could cause. Not for the grief and embarrassment when everyone finds out. And also you must sleep with one eye open all the time, wondering if you're gonna be copped.

Doubt I'll ever find out. I'll never have Moyles' millions to hide, erm, avoid! :p Easy peasy life.
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Telling the truth: I wouldn't.

To me it's not worth the stress it could cause. Not for the grief and embarrassment when everyone finds out. And also you must sleep with one eye open all the time, wondering if you're gonna be copped.

Doubt I'll ever find out. I'll never have Moyles' millions to hide, erm, avoid! :p Easy peasy life.

Would I worry about the grief and embarrassment not in the slightest :D
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It really doesn't surprise me. He always had the attitude that the usual rules didn't apply to him. Far too self-centred to notice how embarrassing some of his ranting was.

It sounded empty at the time. He was far too indignant about not getting the proper, financial, recognition for his efforts, and complaining that he might be "cash rich", but was "time poor", and listing every new, very expensive, gadget he was getting a man round to install.

Exactly. My god did he used to moan on and on that he had to buy his own breakfast and a buffet was not provided like Jonny vaune gets. Despite being on 700k paid for by a fee/ tax. Used to have a right go at anyone that suggested they paid his salary through the fee.

I think this is partly why him and Dave are no longer friends and didn't speak much in the last year or so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Exactly. My god did he used to moan on and on that he had to buy his own breakfast and a buffet was not provided like Jonny vaune gets. Despite being on 700k paid for by a fee/ tax. Used to have a right go at anyone that suggested they paid his salary through the fee.

I think this is partly why him and Dave are no longer friends and didn't speak much in the last year or so.

According to Chris himself they haven't spoken since the show ended (though that was some time ago that he said that). Plus they don't follow or mention each other on twitter anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    If he was deemed to be outwith the rules, he will likely have to pay late payment interest and penalties on anything he owes.

I don't blame him for having a go though, I would.

And so would most people, that's why we have laws. To save us from ourselves.

Is there were no consequences of speeding I guarantee most people would speed. But there is a punishment and it's the punishment that deters, not social conscience.

Fact of life.