Options

The Graham Norton Show - Series 14 (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I was getting a bit fed up with everyone raving about Margolyes, I found her very boring. She always does the same act on programmes like that, being an Actor (with capital 'A') and being an eccentric.

Same here. Very over-rated, and the same "shocking" stories, but in different locations every time, but she earned her place by pulling up Lily for pulling the lever on the nurse before she'd told her story.

I know they sometimes pull the lever before they get into their story, but usually it's when they look a bit cocky, or they have a profession that has image problems. Graham was taking the mickey, but the humour was based on her having an important job. Lily's lever pulling didn't look to be done in jest. She looked like she was trying to put her in her place.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how people see things in different ways. I thought there was quite a good rapport between Miriam and Lily. I think Lily was quite genuinely shocked by Miriam and it really did seem as if she was totally unfamiliar with the term "periods". I think Miriam found Lily quite fascinating - perhaps fancied her.

I just thought it was generally entertaining all round. I'd never heard of the guy who was on or even seen him before, but it was all good fun. I'm not particularly a fan of Lily Allen, but I thought her song was quite enjoyable. Far better than the Hollywood types reeling out their anecdotes.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this on catch up. Miriam is great, it's a shame she didn't have better guests with personalities to bounce off like she could with will.i.am.

Lily Allen is really awful.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    It's funny how people see things in different ways. I thought there was quite a good rapport between Miriam and Lily. I think Lily was quite genuinely shocked by Miriam and it really did seem as if she was totally unfamiliar with the term "periods". I think Miriam found Lily quite fascinating - perhaps fancied her.

I just thought it was generally entertaining all round. I'd never heard of the guy who was on or even seen him before, but it was all good fun. I'm not particularly a fan of Lily Allen, but I thought her song was quite enjoyable. Far better than the Hollywood types reeling out their anecdotes.

As opposed to British and European types that reel out their anecdotes. :confused:Surely an esstential part of being on a chat show I would have thought.

Lily Allen was dire as per usual.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    Same here. Very over-rated, and the same "shocking" stories, but in different locations every time, but she earned her place by pulling up Lily for pulling the lever on the nurse before she'd told her story.

I know they sometimes pull the lever before they get into their story, but usually it's when they look a bit cocky, or they have a profession that has image problems. Graham was taking the mickey, but the humour was based on her having an important job. Lily's lever pulling didn't look to be done in jest. She looked like she was trying to put her in her place.
    Trying to put her in her place? After she said she was a cardiac nurse from NI?
    I think it was as simple as she was trying to be the centre of attention and it backfired like the rest of her appearance on the show.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Are the Allen's two of the most annoying siblings on TV? Lily who is crap at singing and Alfie Allen who I want to die in every single episode of Game of Thrones.

Interesting they are both supposed to be the basis for "Harry and Lulu" the babies performed by Harry Enfield and Kathy Burke, as he was living with their mother at the time "Harry Enfield and Chums" was made so observed their interaction.

Bearing in mind the respective ages of the Allens, that would make the Lily the attention seeking devil-child (played by Harry) doing unspeakable things to the younger sibling.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last nights episode was quite boring. Dominic looked scared of Lily and Miriam

Miriam was the only half decent guest

Ant and Dec will be much better next week
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Allen must have been on something. She was really odd even by her standards and ruined the show for me.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Last nights episode was quite boring. Dominic looked scared of Lily and Miriam

Miriam was the only half decent guest

Ant and Dec will be much better next week

You reckon ?? - So! productions was sold to ITV, so it will be a total fawning cringefest.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come it was'nt on the credits that Cher Lloyd sang at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Allen must have been on something. She was really odd even by her standards and ruined the show for me.

Did she actually talk ? I think she spent 90% of the show giggling like a schoolgirl and rubbing her nose. Hmmmmmmm ?
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with the show and like a few others here I don't share the "love" for Miriam. Her stories were gross and she came across just as rude as Lily Allen. Fancy telling everyone about your friend in the audience being single! Not surprised Arnie would want to fart in her face!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant stand Miriam - she was funny when she first started doing this "swearing crude wacky pensioner" act on chat shows, but when you've seen it for the 10th time, it gets very very boring. Instead of being unpredictable she is the opposite - she is totally predictable. I just knew she would mention periods, her vagina or farting.............and she did, because she does it ALL the time. Yawn !
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the guests or not, the best thing about Graham Norton is that the show is about THEM not him, unlike other chat show hosts. He's so professional and endearing and cheery plus it's not the me me me show. Neither is he rude to them or makes them the butt of his jokes. So glad he's getting the best guests.
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Trying to put her in her place? After she said she was a cardiac nurse from NI?
    I think it was as simple as she was trying to be the centre of attention and it backfired like the rest of her appearance on the show.

Exactly. Lily wanted to be the centre of attention, and resented that Graham was talking about how the nurse might have to deal with emergencies, and generally underlining that she had an important job. The likes of Lily don't like that, so Lily wanted her off-screen as quickly as possible.

The "putting her in her place" was reminding her that she wasn't the celebrity, or the one in a position of power. I'm not condoning the behaviour, or suggesting that the nurse is more lowly than Lily. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Cant stand Miriam - she was funny when she first started doing this "swearing crude wacky pensioner" act on chat shows, but when you've seen it for the 10th time, it gets very very boring. Instead of being unpredictable she is the opposite - she is totally predictable. I just knew she would mention periods, her vagina or farting.............and she did, because she does it ALL the time. Yawn !

Sadly, I completely agree with you. She is obsessed with farting, and no matter who she has worked with, the conversation will inevitably come round to when they farted. And the resemblance to the judge who once asked 'So who are the Beatles?' Is wearing thin.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lily was on the verge of doing some thing " outrageous " . By that I mean just stupid , but she managed to contain herself . Miriam was funny , but she has turned into a kind of Kenneth Williams / Beryl Reid chat show guest . Dominic looked lovely as always and wold have looked better if the beard was not quite so thick .
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I mute the teli when I see Miriam . Its like deja vu watching her repeat the same stories ( just a different location ) and giggle like a schoolboy about a fart or a period etc .

Did Lily Allen speak at all or just sit giggling ?
  • Options
    marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    She repeated the word period the way Miriam said it , as though she had never heard it before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Not surprised Arnie would want to fart in her face!

If you condone that then I just hope it happens to you. Not from him, of course. Anyone will do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dominic looked lovely as always and wold have looked better if the beard was not quite so thick .

Forget the beard. I just wish he wasn't quite so thick.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    Exactly. Lily wanted to be the centre of attention, and resented that Graham was talking about how the nurse might have to deal with emergencies, and generally underlining that she had an important job. The likes of Lily don't like that, so Lily wanted her off-screen as quickly as possible.

The "putting her in her place" was reminding her that she wasn't the celebrity, or the one in a position of power. I'm not condoning the behaviour, or suggesting that the nurse is more lowly than Lily. Quite the opposite.

And the irony to that is neither is Lily Allen the celebrity. I don't rate her as a singer but thought she might be an ok guest as opposed to her boorish and boring old fella (could've been worse...some bright spark of a producer might have thought to book them both). She had nothing to say like a dis-interested teenager and the childish giggling added to the yawn fest. Miriam Margolyes seems to have done an Ann Widdecombe as, having reinvented herself from being a bit of a nark to a funny ole eccentric having schmoozed the public, shes now on the list of budding "national treasures" as the press readily label them. Don't get me wrong, some of the anecdotes are amusing but she does tend to grate a little through her over-doing the crude delivery. Thought GN had his work cut out with this sofa and he did well.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree. It may be funny the first couple of times and it actually worked well with William but then it's just the same old.
    Blueju wrote: »
    And the irony to that is neither is Lily Allen the celebrity. I don't rate her as a singer but thought she might be an ok guest as opposed to her boorish and boring old fella (could've been worse...some bright spark of a producer might have thought to book them both). She had nothing to say like a dis-interested teenager and the childish giggling added to the yawn fest. Miriam Margolyes seems to have done an Ann Widdecombe as, having reinvented herself from being a bit of a nark to a funny ole eccentric having schmoozed the public, shes now on the list of budding "national treasures" as the press readily label them. Don't get me wrong, some of the anecdotes are amusing but she does tend to grate a little through her over-doing the crude delivery. Thought GN had his work cut out with this sofa and he did well.
    Even worse was her fake reaction to Cooper's anecdote. Why would she be that shocked after the anecdotes that she tells?

I was also amazed that Lily Allen was the star guest? Either that or non of them were deemed famous enough to be lead so just went girl boy girl.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite strange that there is so much hate and venom directed at Lily Allen (almost entirely by females) when she's actually quite a decent songwriter with a rather shy and unassuming personality. Anybody would think she'd killed somebody by the rather vindictive posts about her. I tend to think she must have something going for her to attract such weird abuse.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I find it quite strange that there is so much hate and venom directed at Lily Allen (almost entirely by females) when she's actually quite a decent songwriter with a rather shy and unassuming personality. Anybody would think she'd killed somebody by the rather vindictive posts about her. I tend to think she must have something going for her to attract such weird abuse.

I really can't stand Lily Allen's voice. I did actually think she came over as nervous though. She quite clearly had no idea how to react to Miriam, but she wasn't awful on the show.

Miriam is always hilarious to watch.