Options

Leaving a dog overnight, would you ever do it ?

Comments

• Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ You're being rather harsh Binky Winky... and the OP thinking about having someone to watch/let out a llittle dog overnight does not make this person unfit to keep a dog!:confused: I doubt most kennels let a dog out during the hours a dog sleeps overnight!

My dogs normally stay in their beds asleep from about 11pm until 8am or even later and then I have to drag them out from their cosy beds, especially if it's cold! The OP's dog is hardly going to come to any harm if it's like my three dogs!
  • Options
    SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a personal view as long as it's one off and someone is coming in to let the dog do it's business then fine. It's not a particularly long period of time and the dog itself, as others pointed out, would be much more comfortable in familiar surroundings than in kennels.

My dog regularly goes from 10pm to 10am without going out to do it's business. I open the front door at 8am and it's running up like a shot to bed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    It does make me laugh - all these people with privelidged lifestyles where they can either work from home or have a partner who can look after the dog, siting in judgement on people who have to to work and leave them. I live on my own, I love the dog, the dog loves me. He is on his own during the day, but he gets walked in the morning before I go to work and he gets walked when I get back. I come home to see him at lunchtime when I can. He's doing very well, everyone says and is not suffering at all, despite having to share the house with a grumpy cat!

I wouldn't leave him alone at night and only got a dog when I decided my days (or nights) as a dirty stop-out were over. I'm lucky that my daughter lives close and doesn't mind having him for a night if I go out late. I think I would consider letting her come in and out to see him and walk him if for any reason she couldn't take him (if her dog was ill or something), but then I trust her and shes knows him (she found him for me when a friend decided she didn't want him any more, poor dog; I can't understand it, he's perfect for me!) and he knows her. I less like the idea of putting him a kennel with strangers, but I put the cat in if I'm away for more than a week, so rather than leave the poor week critter at home all night on his own, I'd say get him in a kennel overnight if you can afford to.

I may have to leave mine on his own during the day, but I did think very carefully before I got him as to whether or not I'd be happy with the restrictions that he imposes. However, as a 50-year old single woman, I don't get invited anywhere any more and he is just so worth any of the restrictions that he imposes on me. I think anyone with arthritic knees, depression or a weight problem should be prescribed a small dog on the NHS! He's done wonders for me and everyone says he looks happy and lively so I don't beat myself up over him being left alone during the day - I just thank my lucky stars he's not really a barker or a whiner - he just seems to mostly sleep when I'm not there (and occasionally take down some of the Christmas decorations for me!) ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a vet, I don't subscribe tto he policy that many shelters have these days of not giving dogs to people who have to work full-time. They are as good as saying that you should only own dogs if you are well off enough to not have to work or are on the dole.

The alternative is beyond contemplation, particularly these days when shelters are fit to burst.

Dogs are social creatures (most, not all) but they are also creatures of habit. If being left for x amount of time is what they are used to, that is that. Some dogs never grow used to it but the same goes for some children with anxiety separation from their parents.

I find it strange that many people don't seem to have the same problem with leaving cats overnight, even indoor cats.
  • Options
    SoapsRmeSoapsRme Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll probably get flack for this but when our little Westie got old and after a couple of bad experiences with kennels where he came back with a raw nose where he'd obviously been scuffing to get out and another time filthy and covered in poo, we decided which was least distressing for him ?- stay in his own familiar surroundings, warm and comfortable (with dog flap so he could get out into safe walled garden any time for his wees and poos) and get neighbour to come in and feed and walk him every day (which he did twice a day) or frightened and worried in kennels with unfamiliar surroundings and people he didn't know.

We opted for the first and he was none the worse (and a lot better off in my opinion).

He lived to the ripe old age of 16 and a half - so I'd say do it as long as you know he won't go mental and rip into stuff.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make me laugh - all these people with privelidged lifestyles where they can either work from home or have a partner who can look after the dog

Makes me laugh even more that you think it is privilege that allows that to happen. I work several part time jobs at minimum pay or just above so that I can be home when my husband is working just so I be sure my dogs don't have to be left for hours at a time.
    We would be much better off financially if I worked full time days as my husband does but we don't feel that would be the best way to care for our dogs.

I don't think as a one off leaving a dog in an emergency is bad (as I have said that happened to me) but I would not make the choice to that as there are far too many things that can go wrong and I think my dogs would not like it if I did.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I haven't owned a dog for a fair few years, but I can't see a problem with the OP leaving her dog under the circumstances she has mentioned. She is intending to get a friend to walk the dog twice AND sit with it for company so its basic needs are taken care of. The dog may 'not like it' - my cats prefer me to be here too, but I can't put their preferences ahead of my own the entire time.

But obviously to a large extent it depends on the dog and the OP is the best person to know how her dog will react.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I don't think as a one off leaving a dog in an emergency is bad (as I have said that happened to me) but I would not make the choice to that as there are far too many things that can go wrong and I think my dogs would not like it if I did.

Such as what? They're not like children. They don't have fingers and thumbs. They can't turn the cooker on or put their paws in sockets. They're not even like cats, they can't climb or jump on things they shouldn't. Let's be realistic, there is nothing that they can do unless danger is left in their way (something they could swallow or harm themselves with in any other way) and they would rather be somewhere they are used to, whether accompanied or alone, than somewhere strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs can get up to all sorts if left alone, anything from chewing if they get bored or barking etc I've seen a dog dragged from a house fire too when it was left alone. My dogs (can only speak of my experience) sleep when I leave - if I am gone for just a couple of hours they don't wake up until I get back. If I am gone longer they bark and find things to amuse themselves. I am not suggesting they are like cats so no they won't climb the curtains but they can get up into my window sills and shout at passersby or open the door to the kitchen and raid the bins or open the cupboards and get hold of things they would be better not having.

Other peoples dogs may be angels and not put a paw wrong but I know my dogs and what they can do if they get bored :eek:
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    My cats (including Orientals, who get into all sorts of trouble you could not imagine) could in theory chew multiple items, raid the bins or climb the curtains when I leave them overnight (about three times a year for the past 12 years). I once came back to find they climbed the bookcase and books were scattered on the floor, but no one came to any harm. The house is pretty catproof in terms of danger because they live here full time, I would assume that would be the same for most cat/dog owners, and before I go I check there is not any additional items which will be dangerous/tempting - if you don't want them to raid the bin, empty it before you go:D

The one thing I would worry about with dogs is that they would bark and annoy neighbours, depends on the dog of course. Of course if you can take your dog wherever it is you're going, all the better:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs can get up to all sorts if left alone, anything from chewing if they get bored or barking etc I've seen a dog dragged from a house fire too when it was left alone. My dogs (can only speak of my experience) sleep when I leave - if I am gone for just a couple of hours they don't wake up until I get back. If I am gone longer they bark and find things to amuse themselves. I am not suggesting they are like cats so no they won't climb the curtains but they can get up into my window sills and shout at passersby or open the door to the kitchen and raid the bins or open the cupboards and get hold of things they would be better not having.

Other peoples dogs may be angels and not put a paw wrong but I know my dogs and what they can do if they get bored :eek:

Calm down people.... this is 'a very calm natured Chihuahua' not a huge noisy Bull Terrier or a climbing cat! ;) Even if it barked it's hardly going to make much noise and would be too small to be climbing up and raiding a bin etc etc!! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I think I pointed out I am only giving you my opinion and saying what my dogs would do, it does beg the question though why ask for opinions if you don't want to hear them and have already made up your mind ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Speaking as the owner of a tiny (well behaved) chihuahua.

I think it would be too long for them to b on their own. Im not sure I could leave my chi overnight BUT I do leave her on her own in the day and she gets checked on a couple of times by a freind and she usually sleeps all day. Basically she seems to sleep when we arent at home but we get home at 4pm and play from 6 till ten with her usually. So shes been on her own on average 7 hours a day. I wouldnt like to leave her anything longer than that.

I think that having someone come in and sit with her would help and take her for a walk etc it might be ok as a one off but I still wouldnt be happy about it as your chi would be on their own for a long time.

Is there no way you can take her with you?

I have to say that I wouldnt leave my little girl though that long intentionally. But as one off im sure they wouldnt hold it against you.

PS My chi is pad trained for use in emergencies etc but much prefers to go outside for her wees etc.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No she wouldn't be fine. Wht if she wants a wee or a poo. Perhaps before you consider this cruel act the next time you feel the need to go for a wee you should refrain for the next 19 hours.

In kennels she would be let out for a wee or a poo.

I'm disgusted you are even considering the idea. You shouldn't be allowed to keep a pet.

What a load of old rubbish. Are you a Daily Mail reader, they like being disgusted about nothing.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me laugh even more that you think it is privilege that allows that to happen. I work several part time jobs at minimum pay or just above so that I can be home when my husband is working just so I be sure my dogs don't have to be left for hours at a time.
    We would be much better off financially if I worked full time days as my husband does but we don't feel that would be the best way to care for our dogs.

I think anyone who has a rubbish job so the dogs get attention is crazy.

The dogs would have a better lifestyle if you had more money surely?

They aren't children - they don't need you to supervise their whole day. Jeez!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that rather depends on the breed of dog to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anyone who has a rubbish job so the dogs get attention is crazy.

The dogs would have a better lifestyle if you had more money surely?

They aren't children - they don't need you to supervise their whole day. Jeez!

Your opinion and your pets so do as you wish, my pets I do as I wish. Rubbish job ? Who said I have a rubbish job ? Actually love my job and am proud of the work I do, just not the best paid profession but then some of the best paid jobs would bore me to tears anyway.

Also money is not normally what impresses a dog - mine love their lives they don't need money to do so.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chihuahuas wrote: »
    I think that rather depends on the breed of dog to be honest.

why the breed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well each breed has different needs. Some breeds do need a lot more attention and stimulation than others.

husky v chihuahua for example. I would love a husky but i wouldnt have the time that the breed needed and so it would be unfair of me to take one on. My chi is lovely and totally suits my lifestyle. Sleeps a lot in the day and loves cuddles, takes up hardly any room and only needs a short walk and then tons of playtime in the evening.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think taking the dog and using the car as a dog-house is the best idea. We used to have a dog that was totally mad - you couldn't go out for an hour but he'd be up to something. Oddly enough, though, if I put him in the car with me, he'd happily sleep there for ages while I was going about my business. Must have been the scent. My aunt and uncle used to do the same when they visited my very dog-unfriendly parents overnight, they'd just leave the dog in the car and take him for walks and feed and water him, and he was quite happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading the last message, I'm reminded about what an elderely friend of mine does with her utterly spoilt dog when she goes out to the theatre for about 3 hours... She takes him with her and he'll very happily lay on his blanket on the back seat, or sometimes he lays on the floor between the front and back seats and he stays there quite happily and if she's been to her sister's for the night (with cream carpets everywhere) and she doesn't like dogs in her house, the dog happily stays in the car and can be walked at any time!
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susie!!

Its funny you say that! I have a springer spaniel who has seperation anxiety cant leave her at home as she howls and makes her self sick

But if you take her out in the car and go about your business shes fine, she will either sit happily staring out the window or will lay on the back seat and go to sleep!

Why she cant settle at home I dont know but its like the connection is there when shes in the car that she knows we are coming back!:)

I would never leave my dog alone over night! she cant be left alone for 30 minutes let alone a whole night but thats just her! xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    no you shouldnt leave your dog alone at night what if there was i freak accident or some type of electrical fire theres a diffrence between leaving your dog for a few hours cos you have to work another for leaving it to socialize these are things that should have been consided before getting a dog
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't leave my dog over night, I would have a terrible time worrying about her, so it would be pointless going out!
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    No I would not.

Happy to pay for kennels but not alone in the house. It's the possibility of fire/burglars etc that would bother me.

2 nights' kennel accommodation, £20 max. worth it, imho.