There was a very big news story last night

starwarsfanstarwarsfan Posts: 176
Forum Member
A news story so big that it took over other news stories on BBC News and Sky News. A news story so earth shattering that it had non stop continous coverage for well over an hour on the news channels. So what was this news that was so big that it took over the news channels for several hours? An earthquake killing thousands of people? Maybe another war had erupted in the Middle East? Or another financial crash?

The news was much more serious than all the above. It was the story of a soccer manager resigning :yawn:

No wonder this country is in such a sh*thole. Who cares if the economy is doing well or not? Who cares if jobs are being lost? As long as the England soccer team do well in the next tournament then everything will be all right! :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A news story so big that it took over other news stories on BBC News and Sky News. A news story so earth shattering that it had non stop continous coverage for well over an hour on the news channels. So what was this news that was so big that it took over the news channels for several hours? An earthquake killing thousands of people? Maybe another war had erupted in the Middle East? Or another financial crash?

The news was much more serious than all the above. It was the story of a soccer manager resigning :yawn:

No wonder this country is in such a sh*thole. Who cares if the economy is doing well or not? Who cares if jobs are being lost? As long as the England soccer team do well in the next tournament then everything will be all right! :D

It'll boost the economy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you would prefer earthquakes, war or a financial crash?? Why do you watch the news anyway - it's all doom and gloom, never anything happy. Its keeps you miserable and expecting more doom and gloom, if you ask me.
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say it, but it really is more interesting than Syria blowing up it's citizens. You can only take so much of death and destruction..
  • starwarsfanstarwarsfan Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    So you would prefer earthquakes, war or a financial crash?? Why do you watch the news anyway - it's all doom and gloom, never anything happy. Its keeps you miserable and expecting more doom and gloom, if you ask me.

I don't watch the news for entertainment. I watch the news because I want to know what's happening in the world. But last night was a joke. In fact it was disgusting. The BBC and Sky News channels turned into tabloid trash. There should never have been that much coverage for such an unimportant story.
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media deem a subject important, because a large number of people are interested in that piece of news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're lucky you don't watch the BBC Wales news. Their main story once was about sheep on a boat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch the news for entertainment. I watch the news because I want to know what's happening in the world. But last night was a joke. In fact it was disgusting. The BBC and Sky News channels turned into tabloid trash. There should never have been that much coverage for such an unimportant story.

Yeah, you want to know all about the sad, miserable, depressing stories that the news corps can dig up. Do you ever wonder why you don't see any happy stories on the news? Do you not think its a sad state of affairs if all you can find on news channels is endless misery and more censored misery? I suppose watching a bit about footy doesn't fit in with your love of all the disaster stories, that make good viewing with their powerful images. The news on the TV is so censored and made to look like blockbuster disaster movies to keep you glued to the TV. Nothing like a bit of sensationalism.
    Forum Member
    The media deem a subject important, because a large number of people are interested in that piece of news.

Unfortunately so. The UK has turned into a country of losers. Of soccer fanatics (even though no on in this country can play it), celebrity obsessives and chavs :(

But if people find the stories on the British economy, events in the Middle East, famine in Africa boring and depressing, well we might as well turn BBC News into a giant showbiz channel. I'm sure it'll satisfy the masses :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Fact is the news channels are a waste of time and not needed.We actually got better true news coverage before these non-stop 'news' channels existed.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I would have thought most people are capable of grasping that Capello's quitting is simply the latest episode in a pretty serious and ongoing story about British football and the multi-billon pound industry it represents?
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member

Even though there are already numerous threads about it, and you've just started another one, you seem to have forgotten what the 'F' in 'The F.A.' stands for.
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Even though there are already numerous threads about it, and you've just started another one, you seem to have forgotten what the 'F' in 'The F.A.' stands for.

Well I haven't seen any threads similar to mine. By the way it is soccer :D

But anyway this news story was so important and earth shattering that the Prime Minster even had to release a statement :rolleyes:
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    By the way it is soccer :D

If people knew where the word "soccer" came from they'd stop making the ridiculous differentiation between "football" and "soccer".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I'm sure that's already been reported on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah apparently they dropped an article about people not being able to cope with other people having different interests to them to cover it.
  • makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We pronounce it 'football' in this country dear boy, not 'soccer'.

I'd have thought you'd know that seeing as you claimed to be British in another thread. Genuine British folk tend not to refer to footy as 'soccer' you see.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My personal highlight from the rant is the revelation that the country is currently a sh*thole because of over excessive reporting of a news story.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makara80 wrote: »
    We pronounce it 'football' in this country dear boy, not 'soccer'.

I'd have thought you'd know that seeing as you claimed to be British in another thread. Genuine British folk tend not to refer to footy as 'soccer' you see.....

Fair play old boy it's an English word. The colonials got it off us. Comes from the word association as in Football Association.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, OP........the economy in decline is not 'news' - how can it be 'news' when its been happening pretty much every day for 60 years

Do you think the main story on the news every day should be 'the economy declined by another 0.00001 percent today for the 18,233rd day in a row. What does this latest decline mean for the country ?. We have the same team of experts as we had yesterday when we discussed the 18,232nd day of decline

News is something that is happening now that doesn't happen every day
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Quite rightly, we no longer discriminate on grounds of race, sexuality or religion, but the sanctimonious and smug must have a focus for their hatred now that those avenues are denied them.

Football fans. Why, we're already described as sub-human on here. Fair game then, no human rights.

Give it your best shot you muppets.
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, for one, shall welcome our new footballing overlords.

Even though I can't stand the sport meself :D
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    iannai wrote: »
    I, for one, shall welcome our new footballing overlords.

Even though I can't stand the sport meself :D

Profit!!!
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If people knew where the word "soccer" came from they'd stop making the ridiculous differentiation between "football" and "soccer".

Yes, thank you Mr. Arrogant, but I do know the etymology of the word 'Soccer' just fine, it's just that in this Country we call it Football.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Yes, thank you Mr. Arrogant, but I do know the etymology of the word 'Soccer' just fine, it's just that in this Country we call it Football.

Yes, it comes from NBA and basketball, or soccer as I like to call it.

Or was it the AA, or soccer as I like to call them? Always handy when the soccer can get my car started on a cold morning.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem happy to ignore the role football plays in the economy, particularly what affect a successful England team would have on it.