ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    On the Grauniad's Media Talk podcast, John Plunkett and colleagues actually discussed how important overnight ratings still are to Itv. Advertising accounts for 68pct of Itvs revenues so overnight ratings are still very important despite all the spin by Archie and Adam.

Overnight ratings are not as important as consolidated ratings as these take into account the many people who watch from a PVR or recording (but not on VOD).

they also form the basis of how much advertisers pay for their ads.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    mediarat wrote: »
    Overnight ratings are not as important as consolidated ratings as these take into account the many people who watch from a PVR or recording (but not on VOD).

they also form the basis of how much advertisers pay for their ads.
    How sure are you? People who record shows dont watch the adverts so surely it is less important to advertisers than the overnight ratings.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    How sure are you? People who record shows dont watch the adverts so surely it is less important to advertisers than the overnight ratings.

this is based on what BARB reports.

if barb reports a show did 9.2m this is an average for the show - they usually include the peak. you can get 5 minute data which will show you how a program performed across it's run. Commercial broadcasters see a dip of about 10/15% across ad breaks which is included in the ratings we discuss (as far as i am aware).

i read somewhere that only 1 in 3 people forward ads but i can't verify if this is correct or if barb report an ad as seen even if it is forwarded by the viewer.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mediarat wrote: »
    ITV is expected to announce a £100m of profit in 2012-13. any loss of ratings on ITV1 are being mitigated by growth on ITV's family of stations/ITV player and studio's have limited the impact of this.

It's more like £350 million actually, with £800 million of surplus cash.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/13/itv-city-darling-mark-crozier
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV yesterday

06:00 - Daybreak: 671k (15.7%), inc +1: 683k (16.0%)
    * peak: 1.08m (16.4%) / 1.11m (16.8%) exc/inc +1 at 08:15
    08:35 - Lorraine: 1.05m (18.3%), inc +1: 1.10m (19.0%)
    09:25 - The Jeremy Kyle Show: 1.41m (22.9%), inc +1: 1.53m (24.9%)
    10:30 - This Morning: 1.20m (18.9%), inc +1: 1.25m (19.7%)
    11:25 - ITV News: 1.16m (18.5%), inc +1: 1.21m (19.3%)
    11:30 - This Morning: 1.18m (17.4%), inc +1: 1.22m (18.0%)
    12:30 - Loose Women: 1.17m (13.6%), inc +1: 1.22m (14.2%)
    13:30 - ITV News: 1.17m (12.8%), inc +1: 1.21m (13.2%)
    14:00 - Dickinson's Real Deal: 1.29m (14.7%), inc +1: 1.38m (15.7%)
    15:00 - The Alan Titchmarsh Show: 1.07m (12.2%), inc +1: 1.15m (13.1%)
    16:00 - Tipping Point: 1.89m (16.0%), inc +1: 1.97m (16.6%)
    17:00 - The Chase: 3.57m (22.2%), inc +1: 3.91m (24.3%)
    * peak: 4.26m (23.1%) / 4.65m (25.3%) exc/inc +1 at 17:50
    18:00 - Regional News: 4.40m (21.9%), inc +1: 4.55m (22.7%)
    18:30 - ITV News: 3.74m (17.1%), inc +1: 3.89m (17.7%)
    19:00 - Coronation Street: 8.58m (36.9%), inc +1: 9.22m (39.6%)
    * peak: 9.00m (37.9%) / 9.64m (40.4%) exc/inc +1 at 19:20
    19:30 - The National Television Awards: 5.58m (22.5%), inc +1: 5.87m (23.6%)
    * lowest-rated such ceremony since 2008
    * peak: 6.42m (26.9%) / 6.64m (27.9%) exc/inc +1 at 19:55
    22:00 - ITV News at Ten, Regional News: 2.45m (12.6%), inc +1: 2.57m (13.2%)
    22:35 - Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald (r): 1.42m (11.8%), inc +1: 1.56m (12.85%)
    23:35 - Safari Vet School (r): 523k (6.7%), inc +1: 565k (7.3%)
    24:05 - Jackpot247 (to 26:00): 149k (4.35%) exc +1

==================================

excellent for the Sir Trevor repeat; bodes well for Tonight.
    Forum Member
    Ratings for Trevor MacDonald down half a million from last week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4.9M minus 4.6M = 0.3M does not equal half a million!
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »

I wonder if Samuel will pounce on the "Why ITV is in debt...." part of that headline. It would fit a pattern on this thread, which gets funnier by the day. If I owned a company I'd love for it to be facing the "crisis" that ITV is at present.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry wrong thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samuel, I'm sure you are delighted that Itvs afternoon share is up by +2% despite the BBC removing all children's programmes and replacing it with downmarket populist gameshows and antiquery.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

should we say repeat repeat repeat and subject matter are issues as well as removal of special interest all reasons why it could shred a small 0.3 m viewers in the space of the week
    Forum Member
    Terrible ratings for Great Night Out, only 2.6milkion yesterday. Beaten by Channel5 :eek:
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible ratings for Great Night Out, only 2.6milkion yesterday. Beaten by Channel5 :eek:

What was on Channel 5, was it regular run of the mill programming?
    Forum Member
    When Great Night out only got 3.4million for its first episode, people made excuses like it was well received by viewers and ratings wouldnt drop. Two weeks on, its lost almost a million viewers and ratings still plumetting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Great Night out only got 3.4million for its first episode, people made excuses like it was well received by viewers and ratings wouldnt drop. Two weeks on, its lost almost a million viewers and ratings still plumetting.

Oh God you were right well done. I suppose it had to happen eventually. So the moral is don't do drama outside crime and put more celebrity related shows in prime time like Chsnnel 5 - happy now?
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Oh God you were right well done. I suppose it had to happen eventually.
    Im normally right with my predictions ;)

The moral of the story is: make better comedies. People like you need to realise that viewers would watch Itvs shows if they were funnier, more gripping etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like you need to realise that viewers would watch Itvs shows if they were funnier, more gripping etc.

Coronation Street had 1.5 million more viewers than EastEnders last night. EE slumped to 7.7 million - perhaps it isn't gripping enough?
    The moral of the story is: make better comedies. People like you need to realise that viewers would watch Itvs shows if they were funnier

They need to make more comedies like Me and Mrs Jones, the Friday night hit of the Autumn season. ;)
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street had 1.5 million more viewers than EastEnders last night. EE slumped to 7.7 million last night - perhaps it isn't gripping enough?
    Eastenders normally rates worse on a Friday night because it has a young audience than Coro St. and go out. Also Eastenders viewers have the bbc3 repeat, omnibus and iplayer which they can watch on so it means bbc1 ratings are a bit lower than Coro St.
    They need to make more comedies like Me and Mrs Jones, the Friday night hit of the Autumn season. ;)
    Why do you keep bringing up Me and Mrs Jones? This is only 1 flop among many hit comedies bbc1 has. Itv has just one hit comedy Benidorm but BBC has many more. Me and Mrs Jones also had a much smaller lead in from Have i got news for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders normally rates worse on a Friday night because it has a young audience than Coro St. and go out. Also Eastenders viewers have the bbc3 repeat, omnibus and iplayer which they can watch on so it means bbc1 ratings are a bit lower than Coro St.

Coronation Street is repeated on ITV2 and available on the ITV Player.

EastEnders is in temporary decline, while Coronation Street is soaring in the ratings. The Corrie ratings almost reached 10 million last week, it's bigger than ever after 52 years on-air.
    Forum Member
    The Corrie ratings almost reached 10 million last week, it's bigger than ever after 52 years on-air.
    Coro St. used to get 16millions every day. Obviously the ratings it gets are still good but its not "bigger than ever".
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amazing that a company can produce an upswing in profits during a refit/refurb.

What kind of refit can do that? One that isn't a refit at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im normally right with my predictions ;)
    D
    The moral of the story is: make better comedies. People like you need to realise that viewers would watch Itvs shows if they were funnier, more gripping etc.

You've been wrong so many times so I guess you are being ironic

The best comedies are on Sky one these days and they get tiny audiences. Most of the stuff on BBC1 is ghastly but rates well. mrs Browns Boys is the greatest abomination to hit tv screens since the 1970's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Amazing that a company can produce an upswing in profits during a refit/refurb.

What kind of refit can do that? One that isn't a refit at all.

One that you don't understand. Just because you can't get it, doesn't make it less real.
    Forum Member
    The best comedies are on Sky one these days and they get tiny audiences. Most of the stuff on BBC1 is ghastly but rates well. mrs Browns Boys is the greatest abomination to hit tv screens since the 1970's
    Comedy is subjective. Even though Mrs Browns boys has its haters, millions love it. It is a show which stands out from the crowd, as does Miranda. Great night out doesnt stand out from the crowd, its decent but hasnt got any qualities about it to make it stand out from most other comedies around.

Which Sky comedies by the way do you think are the best on british tv atm bar Moone boy?
  • stevie67stevie67 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Samuel, I'm sure you are delighted that Itvs afternoon share is up by +2% despite the BBC removing all children's programmes and replacing it with downmarket populist gameshows and antiquery.
    But havent ITV done the same after they removed childrens programming from their afternoon schedule as well. Havent they also put on downmarket populist gameshows as well. Tipping point is awful and the chase has lost its appeal to me. I now watch the timeshifted deal or no deal at 5. Thats the far better show in my opinion. I