Options

Daughters school and marking work

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
I've been having a problem with my daughters school. The marking of her homework is terrible. (I haven't even seen any of her class work so that could be just as bad!) I brought it up with her class teacher after one of her homework pages had a big well done sticker attached to it but none of the spelling errors were corrected. The response i got was unbelievable - the teacher wasn't even aware there were spelling errors on it and i had to point them out, then a few days later the correct words had been wrote on the page. I even said to the teacher why hasn't it been marked, she is going to think it's right when it's not. All i got was ummm's and hmmm's.
So that's that, then other homework isn't even marked at all sometimes. I was also flicking through her homework book last night and I found something even more silly - sentences which had been ticked, but had spelling errors in them. So I corrected it myself along with a small note saying I had corrected it because it was wrong. If there are any more issues i was thinking of having a work with the headmaster, but I was just wondering if any other parents have come across this sort of problem at their child's school. It's just frustrating cos this shouldn't be happening at all - especially work being ticked that is wrong.
Constructive replies only please - I know what this place is like :D

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's probably just copying her Mum's way of writing.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the irony. It's not a good idea to criticise the school in a post that is full of grammatical and spelling errors.

So constructive reply, make sure you yourself are 100 per cent correct before you talk to the teacher \ head teacher again, it can only help your case.

Good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh the irony. It's not a good idea to criticise the school in a post that is full of grammatical and spelling errors.

So constructive reply, make sure you yourself are 100 per cent correct before you talk to the teacher \ head teacher again, it can only help your case.

Good luck

Well I'm not a teacher and they are so they shouldn't be marking her work wrong.

Sorry I forgot to capitalise all the I's :rolleyes: and left a couple of punctuation out. Don't be so silly - this does not give me any less of a right to bring this problem up with the school.
    But I have every right to be annoyed at the school about it, it is their job to mark work correctly.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could ask for a copy of the school's marking policy - they will have one. When I taught (modern languages) sometimes we marked for gist, sometimes for spelling, sometimes for other things. We had to make it clear which type of marking we were using each time. But we were specifically instructed that at certain times we were NOT to correct spelling or grammatical errors for various reasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    She's probably just copying her Mum's way of writing.

Haha. You invited this OP. This is one of those occasions where you need to be absolutely sure before you submit reply. :D

I agree with your point though that homework should be marked and corrected where necessary otherwise I see no point in it whatsoever.

Murder She Written lol
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    How old is your daughter?

With homework I used to proof read it (this was in primary) and if he spelt a word wrong I wrote the word out and he had to copy it ten times and I included that in the homework

How do other parents feel about the marking? Could you make an appointment to see her classroom work books?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    You could ask for a copy of the school's marking policy - they will have one. When I taught (modern languages) sometimes we marked for gist, sometimes for spelling, sometimes for other things. We had to make it clear which type of marking we were using each time. But we were specifically instructed that at certain times we were NOT to correct spelling or grammatical errors for various reasons.

I will do this, thanks. Just a thought - even if they weren't marking it for spelling, my daughter won't understand this, she will see a tick or a well done sticker and think she's done it all right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    How old is your daughter?

With homework I used to proof read it (this was in primary) and if he spelt a word wrong I wrote the word out and he had to copy it ten times and I included that in the homework

How do other parents feel about the marking? Could you make an appointment to see her classroom work books?

She's 7. I might see if I can chat to the other parents.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will do this, thanks. Just a thought - even if they weren't marking it for spelling, my daughter won't understand this, she will see a tick or a well done sticker and think she's done it all right.

It depends what the task was though, and how old she is.

I also taught literacy to Year 7s, and if say, the task was 'write a story featuring an exciting event, with an ending that makes the reader want to carry on to another chapter' then we'd mark for content and vocabulary and how imaginative and creative it was, and we'd mostly ignore spelling and grammar, unless it really hindered comprehension. If a less able child spends ages being really imaginative and creative and interested in a task like writing a story, and then gets it back covered in red pen and corrections of there/their and so on, then that's hugely demotivating. We would be far more likely to have something like a huge well done, or a comment about their imagination or creativity or something.

If the task was something driven by spelling and grammar though, say 'write pairs of sentences showing that you understand the difference between there/their, hear/here, quiet/quite' and so on, then of course we would be correcting errors.

Don't forget too, that many schools, especially at lower ages, also have policies of not emphasising errors and focussing on praise; some schools don't allow marking in red, or crossings out, or whatever. It may not actually be this teacher's marking, it may be the way her school is run. It is also almost certain that her marking is cross-marked by her colleagues - schools should be doing regular (maybe termly or half-termly) marking checks to ensure consistency.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pretty hacked off to see incorrect usage of "to" and "too" in the teacher's comment book in my 7yr old's reading folder.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I thought the same when my daughter was at primary school. They don't seem to spend a lot of time correcting spelling, grammar and handwriting these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    It depends what the task was though, and how old she is.

I also taught literacy to Year 7s, and if say, the task was 'write a story featuring an exciting event, with an ending that makes the reader want to carry on to another chapter' then we'd mark for content and vocabulary and how imaginative and creative it was, and we'd mostly ignore spelling and grammar, unless it really hindered comprehension. If a less able child spends ages being really imaginative and creative and interested in a task like writing a story, and then gets it back covered in red pen and corrections of there/their and so on, then that's hugely demotivating. We would be far more likely to have something like a huge well done, or a comment about their imagination or creativity or something.

If the task was something driven by spelling and grammar though, say 'write pairs of sentences showing that you understand the difference between there/their, hear/here, quiet/quite' and so on, then of course we would be correcting errors.

Don't forget too, that many schools, especially at lower ages, also have policies of not emphasising errors and focussing on praise; some schools don't allow marking in red, or crossings out, or whatever. It may not actually be this teacher's marking, it may be the way her school is run. It is also almost certain that her marking is cross-marked by her colleagues - schools should be doing regular (maybe termly or half-termly) marking checks to ensure consistency.
    She's 7. She gets a weekly list of words on this sheet and it's one of those look, cover, write, look, cover, write things. None of these sheets have ever been marked. Then she has to write sentences using each of those words in her book. That's some of the homework she does. Her book is at school at the minute though so can't recall exactly what else is in there.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm not a teacher and they are so they shouldn't be marking her work wrong.

Sorry I forgot to capitalise all the I's :rolleyes: and left a couple of punctuation out. Don't be so silly - this does not give me any less of a right to bring this problem up with the school.
    But I have every right to be annoyed at the school about it, it is their job to mark work correctly.

Priceless !

Can I take back the constructive advice I did give you and the good luck wishes ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Priceless !

Can I take back the constructive advice I did give you and the good luck wishes ?

Sorry thought you were being sarcastic.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to see parents being proactive and taking things like this seriously.

However as others say I would certainly make sure you are in the right.

Spelling and grammar is not everyone's strong point so best to double check before you march in saying XYZ is wrong.
  • Options
    Minor MaggieMinor Maggie Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    How long do you expect her teacher to spend marking her book?
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Help her with her homework, and teach her yourself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when i was at school, which is not that long ago, work i would hand in would come back to me literally bleeding of red, the red being all the corrections she would make to my work, and this happened from as far back as i can remember, whats changed ?
  • Options
    EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I teach year 2 and obviously it's hard to comment without knowing your child's ability. However, I rarely correct every single spelling error my children make. At this age, children still rely heavily on their phonics, so as long as they've made a plausible attempt and key words are usually spelt correctly, I'm happy. Of course, if I know a child is capable of spelling a particular word I will correct it, but generally I will only correct 3 or 4 spellings. Realistically, a child who reads back their work is not going to remember 10+ or however many corrections for next time.

Homework is also a tricky one. Again, I don't know the context of your daughter's school, but on average I mark 30 or 60 pieces of work a day, so sometimes a stamp and the knowledge I've read through their work to check their understanding is all they get!
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought but perhaps words aren't spelt the way that the OP thinks they are.

I tend not to get involved in my daughters homework and the teacher has no issue with that - I make sure that it is done but that is my only input unless she specifically asks for help.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's 7. She gets a weekly list of words on this sheet and it's one of those look, cover, write, look, cover, write things. None of these sheets have ever been marked. Then she has to write sentences using each of those words in her book. That's some of the homework she does. Her book is at school at the minute though so can't recall exactly what else is in there.

Are you sure that isn't the prep for the weeks spelling test at school - which will be marked.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked Firstborn's teacher why she didn't correct his spelling (he was 11 at the time), she said that they don't do it all the time because the children get disheartened if they have worked hard on a piece of homework only for it to constantly be covered in corrections.

I can see the point - however, he'll never learn to spell if he's not corrected.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I could see was a couple of grammatical errors in the op's posts.

Personally I would have thought correcting spelling was important, and teechers should correct them all.

If the school won't do it, maybe do it yourself.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must say having 3 kids going through the education system, so much depends on the individual teacher. Most are excellent teachers, enthusiastic and rigorously mark everything, providing excellent feedback and obviously put a lot of hours and emotion into it. If you get one of these, you are sorted.

However some are a total disgrace and should have been "managed out" of the teaching profession many years ago. My daughter had one in Year 2 who clearly did not know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're", thought 8x7 was 54, thought the island off Portsmouth on a field trip was the Isle of Man (no preparation in other words), rarely marked any work (about once every three weeks was about standard, with wrong stuff not corrected or even highlighted as wrong). The excellent Year 1 teacher had just about the lot of them knowing their times tables up to 12x12, yet under this Year 2 teacher, most had forgotten them and they needed remedial lessons in the junior school to catch up.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the markings wrong then take it up with the head teacher...thats what they're paid for i've seen stuff helping friends kids doing maths/IT thats so wrong that it screams WTF did you do in teaching school?