Good news regarding the hit show Damages

musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
Forum Member
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/19/damages-saved-from-cancellation-by-directv/57618

With a decrease in ratings and worries over the show's future, things will be fine as the hit show will be on for another 2 years.

Comments

• musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    No fans of Damages then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm a fan! I fully expected the third series to be the last so I'm surprised by this news but in a good way, I look forward to seeing more of Patty Hewes. It will be different without Tate Donovan of course but just because characters are dead on Damages doesn't mean they won't pop up for a chat occasionally!

I wonder if the BBC will bother showing it though, they haven't exactly treated it wonderfully up to now, I think it was on at a different time each week which never ceased to amaze me considering they had very little else on in their prime time slots.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, there is a limit to how much overseas (or at least non-EU) content can be shown by BBC1 on primetime, so perhaps they'll shift it to BBC2 or 4?

K
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the BBC did ok with Damages? The first series was on the same time every week and got bad ratings. The 2nd series got a better slot and still got bad ratings? what do you expect them to do? They did show some adverts for series 3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My memory of it was then showing Series 1 at about 10.35 on a Saturday night if not later. Then with the more recent series 3 I distinctly remember having to check every single week what time it was on, only to give up in the end and watch it the next day on iPlayer because it was getting later and later.

I know that something like Damages is never going to be a big ratings winner for them though so I do appreciate that they showed it at all. :)
  • jessicatjessicat Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up- really pleased and shocked to hear it has been renewed. I felt like the writers were assuming that they wouldn't get another season with the way they tried to tie up so many ongoing plots at the end of season 3. I agree it won't be the same without Tate Donovan, but I am still definitely looking forward to season 4 and 5.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would prefer that Damages goes to BBC Four, where it might be better appreciated than it was this year on BBC One (dropped for a week or so mid-run, always on at a different time).

This said, it would still be treated better by the BBC than by Channel 4, which has an atrocious attitude towards imports. :mad:

The only other bidders I could foresee would be FX - its home in the US - or Sky Arts, which I suspect is trying to muscle its way into this type of programming. :rolleyes: Neither of these would a great home for Damages, as they are available to Sky subscribers only … and Damages deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.
  • Anne CAnne C Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news, I thought we'd seen the last of Patty and Frobisher!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news but series three didn't grip me as much as the first two.

Glenn Close was superb as ever but the main story was weaker and Patty wasn't as evil as she had been.

I'll keep watching though and with only ten episodes a season I will be happier making the commitment.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IM SO HAPPY! Another x2 seasons!? This & True Blood are the only reasons to own a tv set!
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I would prefer that Damages goes to BBC Four, where it might be better appreciated than it was this year on BBC One (dropped for a week or so mid-run, always on at a different time).
    This said, it would still be treated better by the BBC than by Channel 4, which has an atrocious attitude towards imports. :mad:

The only other bidders I could foresee would be FX - its home in the US - or Sky Arts, which I suspect is trying to muscle its way into this type of programming. :rolleyes: Neither of these would a great home for Damages, as they are available to Sky subscribers only … and Damages deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

I'd be happy to see it on BBC4 if this meant they didn't keep moving it about and dropping it.

Loved the show but quite often forgot to watch it because of this, then lost the thread.