Options

Whould you let your 17 year old Daughter date a 24 year old man?

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    AIDS apparently !:eek: lol

Rife among the "24-year-old community", as they like to call themselves. Apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    AIDS apparently !:eek: lol

Ofcourse... Apart from the AIDS it was a great relationship. lol
  • Options
    kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    How did you meet them, out of curiosity?

friends younger brother
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    he's a paeeeedo
    he's a paeeedo
    he's a paedo in a paedo gang!

Want to explain just what interest a 'paedo' would have in a 17 year old girl?
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    the speaking and listening structure backstory is, they met in a shop, he is maturer than boys her own age, he is fun, he has a car and a job,

its dangerous because,

He could be a total nutter inside,
    have aids,
    can be controling, or emotionally abusive,

Gets guitar out, starts to strum

They met in a shop
    He was maturer than boys her own age
    But he is fun
    'Cause he has a car and a job BUT HE ALSO HAS AIDS!!

AIDS, AIDS, AIDS

He's a dangerous m*thaf*cker
    He's a total reject nutter
    He'll control her and abuse her
    He's a total Class A user
    And he has AIDS!!

AIDS, AIDS!!!

etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to do a speaking and listening shit about this tomorrow! :mad:

I am against it, some of the things I have is,

Age Difference
    Dangerous,

Anymore?

Could you just give me the bad points,

If not why not?
    bullet points are welcome!

My parents were unaware that their 17 year old daughter was dating a 35 year old man. I was neither taken advantage of nor did I turn out warped. The age of consent in there for a reason, even if it should perhaps be raised to match the age of adulthood.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Speaking and listening shit? Are you Jonah from Summer Heights High, OP?

Yes I so pucking am, and I also like to puck my bitchy English teacher, Ms Wheatly!
    I love that show!
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Rife among the "24-year-old community", as they like to call themselves. Apparently.

Wow - I was in the "24 year old community" a while back - and never got AIDS - not even once.......;)

Must have been extremely lucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Wow - I was in the "24 year old community" a while back - and never got AIDS - not even once.......:D

Must have been extremely lucky.

Me too! I was living the "24-year-old lifestyle" back in the day too. Flaunting it, even. It's only with hindsight that I realise how lucky I was.

It was the same for a lot of people my age, the whole "being 24" thing- hell, I'd go so far as to say ALL people my age. I mean, you experiment with being 24, but nobody ever tends to last longer than a year at it. The lustre is gone. Either than, or you've got AIDS by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too! I was living the "24-year-old lifestyle" back in the day too. Flaunting it, even. It's only with hindsight that I realise how lucky I was.

Flaunting "24 year oldness". Not quite sure how that works - but I'm sure I must have done it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Flaunting "24 year oldness". Not quite sure how that works - but I'm sure I must have done it.

They can even get married now, you know.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Phil S wrote: »
    I'd have to weigh the bloke up but if all OK then Yes.

IMO that amount of age difference is insignificant, it's what the person is like which is more important.

Agreed, I don't think that's an issue. 17 and, say, 34 might be pushing it a little, but even then it's not a huge issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can even get married now, you know.

Really :eek::eek:

Next you'll be telling me they can vote too :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to do a speaking and listening shit about this tomorrow! :mad:

I am against it, some of the things I have is,

Age Difference
    Dangerous,

Anymore?

Could you just give me the bad points,

If not why not?
    bullet points are welcome!

If she is seventeen..whats it got to do with you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to live with my seventeen year old daughter's dramas on a daily basis, her facebook is full of FML, rate for an inbox, many Jeremy Kylesque fallings out with her mates, much slagging off of each other's boyfriends and other such bollox.

If she brought home a 24yr old man and told me they were dating, to be honest I'd have to wonder what the **** was wrong with him!

Teenagers are hard work, the drama is exhausting, they are even hard work to be around when you're still one yourself, god knows why anyone would actively seek out their company when they don't have to. There is a very good reason they spend most of the time by themselves in their bedrooms!
  • Options
    KB_netKB_net Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I would be against it, I have a 4 sisters only 1 ever had an older boyfriend at a young age. She was 17 an he was 25, she is also the only one of my sisters never to go on "girls holidays" and we all feel she missed out on a lot of rights of passage events in her life. She was never "allowed" to go out with her group of mixed male/female friends from college. She never wet to our oldest sister hen weekend in Italy, she never saw her peer group often due to him not liking most of them, we suspect this was purely down to him being 25 and all her friends being 17-19. She regrets it now and is glad she never listened to him when he would suggest marriage and baby's.

I have also noticed many younger women under 20 who get into these relationships with older guys miss out on too much. They then spend their lives justifying all the good times they have missed out on.

At 17 it's important to experience things with your peer group and go through issues and problems with others going through similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to live with my seventeen year old daughter's dramas on a daily basis, her facebook is full of FML, rate for an inbox, many Jeremy Kylesque fallings out with her mates, much slagging off of each other's boyfriends and other such bollox.

If she brought home a 24yr old man and told me they were dating, to be honest I'd have to wonder what the **** was wrong with him!

To be fair - I know a few 20 and 30 some things that would fit that description too.

Don't judge all 17 year olds by the behaviour of yours ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    There isnt a right or... far from it... a wrong to it, so to cover it in a speech would be difficult....verging on unneccesary
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KB_net wrote: »
    I would be against it, I have a 4 sisters only 1 ever had an older boyfriend at a young age. She was 17 an he was 25, she is also the only one of my sisters never to go on "girls holidays" and we all feel she missed out on a lot of rights of passage events in her life. She was never "allowed" to go out with her group of mixed male/female friends from college. She never wet to our oldest sister hen weekend in Italy, she never saw her peer group often due to him not liking most of them, we suspect this was purely down to him being 25 and all her friends being 17-19. She regrets it now and is glad she never listened to him when he would suggest marriage and baby's.

I have also noticed many younger women under 20 who get into these relationships with older guys miss out on too much. They then spend their lives justifying all the good times they have missed out on.

Surely those are all arguments for not having a posessive, controlling boyfriend rather than an older one?

I had an older boyfriend when I was a teenager and it never stopped me from doing any of the things you've mentioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Surely those are all arguments for not having a posessive, controlling boyfriend rather than an older one?

I had an older boyfriend when I was a teenager and it never stopped me from doing any of the things you've mentioned.

Perhaps but from 4 sisters all who had boyfriends along the way only 1 missed out on important parts of life. It just so happened to be the one with the older boyfriend.

Sure she go with him and his friends, but he never wanted to go out with her an her friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How often did your older boyfriend spend time with you and your teenage friends? How often did he accompany you and 8-10 of your friends to Pizza Hut , ice skating , cinema, etc? As I remember doing that many times with my girlfriend and mixed group of friends when I was 17.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often did your older boyfriend spend time with you and your teenage friends? How often did he accompany you and 8-10 of your friends to Pizza Hut ? As I remember doing that many times with my girlfriend and mixed group of friends when I was 17.

Me and my friends weren't really the Pizza Hut type. Not all teenagers are the same...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps but from 4 sisters all who had boyfriends along the way only 1 missed out on important parts of life. It just so happened to be the one with the older boyfriend.

Sure she go with him and his friends, but he never wanted to go out with her an her friends.

Whats an "important part of life" to you might not be to someone else.

I don't think I missed out on anything special just because my boyfriend (my blummin amazing boyfriend to be specific!) didn't want to hang out at Pizza Hut with me and my mates...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me and my friends weren't really the Pizza Hut type. Not all teenagers are the same...

I have edited to include other activities, but we did all sorts of things. I can imagine one of our friends turning up with a 25 year old partner it would of just been embarrassing for all.