Options

Is the Wii U Dying Before its Begun?

Comments

• Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how it always seems to be Teenager(ie kids) who think the wii is a kids toy.

Anyway….don’t go thinking the next gen PS ands Xbox will be some kind of gaming nirvana, they will be hard and expensive to code and produce games to the best of their abilities. Most gaming companies are struggling at the moment, not every game can be a blockbuster. Nintendo might be ideally placed for picking up the scraps.

Which is exactly why the PS4 and NextBox already have a head start over the Wii U. Both of those systems will be pretty similar which should make producing cross platform games for them easier and cheaper than it will for the relatively underpowered Wii U.
    I don't know anyone with a Wii-U yet, I don't know anyone that plans to get one either which leads to another problem with third party game production, why make games for a system no one owns?
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More retailers are cutting the price of WiiU hardware; first Zavvi, now Asda and ShopTo.

Other retailers, such as Tesco, Sainsbury's and Grainger Games are telling Nintendo that the price needs to drop.

Why are Nintendo so reluctant to do anything? Are they frightened of upsetting early adopters? Do they think a price cut is an admission of poor performance? Can they simply not afford the losses?

The scary thought is that Asda etc are trying to offload stock so that they can drop stocking the console. With new hardware on the horizon, retailers have to prioritise their stock holding and shelf space.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local ASDA doesn't even stock the WiiU, neither does Morrisons for that matter! :(
  • Options
    gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I think the real issue is the lack of software. The games just don't get released quick enough. We live in a day and age where you can download an app in seconds and there are hundreds of thousands of different pieces of software available very quickly. Why buy a console that gets maybe 3 or 4 titles a month? I want a Wii U but there's no 'must buy' killer software yet and maybe 4 or 5 games that I would like to buy. So on that basis I can wait and will wait until the software is there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with that the lack of software is holding me back getting one just yet. I'll pick one up when the system gets the 1st party titles.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey ASDA announces a price cut 2 hours after I asked for one.
    I still think £250 is too high to play souped up Mario Kart and Zelda.
    I want it to get going. It was still a mistake to release a console no more powerful than whats already out there. Thats why also the Vita is dying on its harris. (I know its handheld but why have it over a PS3 or Xbox 360.)
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey ASDA announces a price cut 2 hours after I asked for one.
    I still think £250 is too high to play souped up Mario Kart and Zelda.
    I want it to get going. It was still a mistake to release a console no more powerful than whats already out there. Thats why also the Vita is dying on its harris. (I know its handheld but why have it over a PS3 or Xbox 360.)

The Wii U IS more powerful.
    Games like Trine 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, and Bit.Trip Runner 2, all show significant improvements over the PS360 versions.
  • Options
    General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    So its slightly more powerful than hardware thats been out for over 7 years? I'm impressed.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I love Nintendo's older consoles, the N64 was a great, post pub console. The problem I see with the Wii U is that while it can compete and run the latest games at the moment, how is it going to fair once the new consoles hit the street. I can't see developers spending hours and hours, trying to port games to a system that won't run the latest games, they will turn out to be shoddy ports, that no one will buy.
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of this thread, it's only been out three months

The tortoise and the hare

That does not work for consoles, if they don't sell well early on then they don't get good 3rd party support. Then they don't have the killer titles so no one buys them.

Its rare, for a slow starter console to pick up sales without a BIG price drop. In fact its not rare IT DOESN'T HAPPEN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that people want the Wii U fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    It seems to me that people want the Wii U fail.

Yep. They seem to think that if they keep repeating Wii U is doomed enough, it will become reality.

Nope. The Wii U is not doing as well as the Wii, but did anyone really expect it to?

Meanwhile, much more significant signs of a worrying future regarding other console manufacturers are being ignored. (Sony are in such bad financial shape, they had to sell their headquarters!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree the Wii was marketed for the casual gamer, Wii U is aimed at both casual and hardcore gamers a bold move by Nintendo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    For me it is a combination of the lack of software and downloading the day 1 update on my 1.5mbps internet connection that is holding me back. I'll pick one up when there are more games available and the update is already installed when you purchase it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evilwitch wrote: »
    For me it is a combination of the lack of software and downloading the day 1 update on my 1.5mbps internet connection that is holding me back. I'll pick one up when there are more games available and the update is already installed when you purchase it.

I believe the update is already installed on later models. (My friend that bought a Wii U recently, said there was no update at all.)
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    I believe the update is already installed on later models. (My friend that bought a Wii U recently, said there was no update at all.)

Lets hope it wasn't a return,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they said from the new year onward back when there was all the hoo-har about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been thinking about picking one up for while torn between which package to go with. Good news that the update is aleady sorted on the newer consoles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member

I just got in contact with Nintendo a few minutes ago on their Ask Mii chat on the Nintendo service centre website and they claim that the update is still not included.
    I then told them to pass on to the relevant department that including that update will probably help Wii U sales because there are a lot of people who have slow internet connections.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

U could take it 2 a friends house & update it there :) ... 1.5mbps is shockingly slow its like summit off 10yrs ago. :o
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got in contact with Nintendo a few minutes ago on their Ask Mii chat on the Nintendo service centre website and they claim that the update is still not included.
    I then told them to pass on to the relevant department that including that update will probably help Wii U sales because there are a lot of people who have slow internet connections.

Couldn't they just put the update on game discs like they do with the xbox?
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Why are Nintendo not showcasing what this console is capable off?

With the PS4 conference we seen vids of how the graphics can improve over current gen and how performance can be a lot better and more epic in scale for our games and you can be sure Xbox will do the same aswell

why did Nintendo not create and showcase some brand new IPs to get people excited

360/ps3 at least introduced/showcased new titles when there consoles were announced or launched

gears of war and uncharted

you knew you had something to look forward too

Nintendo claims there going after the big games again but all they have released is more Mario and another party game and after the wii are people gonna bother again just for this new controller I don't see it happening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Why are Nintendo not showcasing what this console is capable off?

With the PS4 conference we seen vids of how the graphics can improve over current gen and how performance can be a lot better and more epic in scale for our games and you can be sure Xbox will do the same aswell

why did Nintendo not create and showcase some brand new IPs to get people excited

360/ps3 at least introduced/showcased new titles when there consoles were announced or launched

gears of war and uncharted

you knew you had something to look forward too

Nintendo claims there going after the big games again but all they have released is more Mario and another party game and after the wii are people gonna bother again just for this new controller I don't see it happening

They have. Look at their last Nintendo Direct where games like "Monolith X" were unveiled.

https://www.yotube.com/watch?v=fIyU8-XTTLc
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    ..and the upcoming Bayonetta 2 will show the naysayers what the Wii U is capable of. I bet Nintendo also have some real exciting games liked up for E3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..and the upcoming Bayonetta 2 will show the naysayers what the Wii U is capable of. I bet Nintendo also have some real exciting games liked up for E3.

I got a WiiU at launch and i'm still having fun with it and lego city is out soon XD

But let's not pretend for a second that bayonetta is going to be an amazing system seller that will shut up all the naysayers because it's just not true