Cruelty or not?

mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
Forum Member
✭✭
The local farmer has kept a little terrier type dog in a horsebox all day. It's just a metal floor and there is no bedding or water. The thing is I can't swear it hasn't been out at all but I've been down several times with my dog - as has a neighbour with her dog - and it has been crying pitifully the whole time.
When it hears you coming it sticks its nose through the bars and cries all the more.
I know farmers can be unsentimental about dogs but it's heartrending.
What would you do? (if anything).

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ring the dog warden for your area, he/she can take a look and do what is needed.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an RSPCA line which I might ring. I've been down and taken photos as well.
    Edit: I phoned the RSPCA hotline and there is nothing to be done for the moment - they have asked me to monitor the situation. They were mainly concerned that the weather might have been hot. :confused:
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm I don't know. It's not as if a horse box is too cramped for a small dog to be in. And unlike a car which would be lethally hot, and definitely needs reporting, horse boxes have air gaps in. Lots of farmers keep their dogs in the back of land rovers during the day and their fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'll keep an eye on it. It had space though 2/3 of it was taken up with a couple of pallets and really there was just space for a small dog to walk round 3 sides of them. I was concerned because I don't know what time it went in but it was there at 8am and it was there when I last checked at 4.30. There was no water and I didn't see it taken out though I can't swear that it wasn't. Anyhow I stuck my camera through the gaps and got pics of the inside, then pics of the outside with the farmer's name emblazoned across it and registration plate plus pics of the dog trying to shove it's nose through the vents. I gingerly put my hand up and got licked to death. The poor wee thing was shaking. :confused:
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on you for caring MrsGrumpy. I thought all dogs had to have access to water 24/7?

According to this link

...provide constant access to clean drinking water

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/dogs/environment/livingoutside

Dd you tell them on the phone the dog has no water?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ILoveMyDog wrote: »
    Dd you tell them on the phone the dog has no water?
    Yes I did but they seemed fixated on whether the sun was beating down on the container.