Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    Subway are doing this in selected stores because they've modelled it and found out it will make them more money.

Where there are large groups of Muslims living nearby then it makes sense for them.

It is no different to those horrid abominations called "British pubs" that spring up in foreign countries where there is a large emigrant British population near by.

Subway are a business and do what they need to maximise profit.
    You'd think after twenty-two pages some people would grasp this repeatedly made point.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    93_ZJ wrote: »
    If you really think the method of slaughter, which takes a few moments, is an objectively bigger welfare issue than the weeks or months the animals spend in unnatural factory-farming conditions, often with no access to natural sunlight or grass under their feet, then your motives are clearly nothing to do with animal welfare. But I strongly suspect you know that.

I never said it was a bigger issue i said it was diverting attention away from the method of slaughter which is what people are talking about.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    23 pages. Oh my.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Regarding asda and halal shopping, I would imagine most Muslims would buy their meat products from a halal butcher not a supermarket.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Buy your own bacon and ham and make your own brekkie at home. It's healthier, you know that you got proper bacon and ham, and as for Subway, when they see they are losing punters, I'm sure they will rethink their policy.

Yes,they probably will lose some punters over this,hope they have a re-think soon.
  • 93_ZJ93_ZJ Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Yes there is if they can buy food in asda where they sell halal and non halal why does subway have to only sell one or the other?
    Asda's halal food is not being cooked on the premises for immediate consumption. It's sealed up until you get it home, so there's no possibility of contamination from non-halal foods.

For a restaurant (which is what Subway is) to be considered either halal or kosher, it must keep the storage, preparation and cooking of halal/kosher and non-H/K food entirely separate. Separate storage, separate prep areas, separate utensils, separate cookers and so on. There must be no possibility of cross-contamination.

The obvious expense of maintaining separate H/K and non-H/K storage, prep and cooking means that most restaurants that want to serve the H/K market decide to go solely H/K. There are quite a few restaurants in the Muslim world that cater to both, but they tend to be expensive upmarket places, where the costs of effectively running separate kitchens can be more easily reflected in the cost of the food without customers complaining that it's too expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda's halal food is not being cooked on the premises for immediate consumption. It's sealed up until you get it home, so there's no possibility of contamination from non-halal foods.

They cook chickens can they eat those and what about the veg?
    Forum Member
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Yes,they probably will lose some punters over this,hope they have a re-think soon.
    So 9 out of 10 Subways still serving pork products isn't enough for you? 1 out of 10 better serving their local communities by being halal is some kind of extremism?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    They don't have to hunt around - 90% of Subways will sell non-halal meat.

As for Christians - even if most Christians believed that (which they don't) - is there a particular reason why their needs should be put before the needs of another religion?

Depends on whether the only Subway within near distance of where you live is Halal only.

Forget about religion (whatever that may be). What about non-religious people that on principle do not want to eat meat of any type killed under religious reasons. I have no choice in eating Halal or Kosher meat, because it finds its way into the general food chain for everybody to consume, but I can never be sure, because as far as I know there is no legal requirement to label meat for general consumption as containing Halal or Kosher meat. In other words contaminated for Muslims or Jews, but in the case of these two religions they can go to a shop that only sells Halal or Kosher meat. I don't particular want to go to a non Halal or Kosher meat shop, because I can't be sure whether the non Halal or Kosher meat contains a quantity of Halal or Kosher meat within, but because we are not told, how do I know otherwise.
    Forum Member
    They cook chickens can they eat those
    If they are halal chickens, cooked in ovens that never see non-halal foods, and with a supply chain that is confirmed halal, then yes. Go into your local Asda and ask if their chickens are halal, then come back and tell us about it.
    and what about the veg?
    What about it? All fruit and veg is automatically halal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are halal chickens, cooked in ovens that never see non-halal foods, and with a supply chain that is confirmed halal, then yes.

What about it? Halal rules don't affect veg in supermarkets. How could they? I'm not aware that veg needs to be slaughtered.

I thought there might be some problem having vegetables in the same store as uncovered pork products that they have in the deli.
    Forum Member
    I thought there might be some problem having vegetables in the same store as uncovered pork products that they have in the deli.
    Nope. If they were actually stored together then yes, but they're not.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    as far as I know there is no legal requirement to label meat for general consumption as containing Halal or Kosher meat
    Yes there is. The EU mandated it in 2010 - those out-of-touch meddling bureaucrats, how dare they interfere and force British businesses to label halal or kosher meat as such? Ahem.

And think about it logically - Muslims and Jews won't buy meat that isn't clearly labelled as being halal or kosher. So where is the sense in not labelling H/K meat as such?
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Who cares?

If I want a bacon sandwich, I'll go to somewhere where I can buy one, there are other outlets other than Subway.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Who cares?

If I want a bacon sandwich, I'll go to somewhere where I can buy one, there are other outlets other than Subway.

Mind *blown* ;-)
    Forum Member
    If I want a bacon sandwich, I'll go to somewhere where I can buy one.
    9 out of 10 branches of Subway will be happy to help you.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Who cares?

I'd go to my local independent greasy spoon, or van, to buy my bacon sarnie.

Subway is shit, will always be shit and is not even on my radar for bread and meat based snacks. The local greasy gets my cash every time.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is. The EU mandated it in 2010 - those out-of-touch meddling bureaucrats, how dare they interfere and force British businesses to label halal or kosher meat as such? Ahem.

And think about it logically - Muslims and Jews won't buy meat that isn't clearly labelled as being halal or kosher. So where is the sense in not labelling H/K meat as such?

That's wrong I am afraid. They tried to get it through and it was never ratified. Which means that there is a huge percentage if meat in the food chain which is Halal and customers have no idea that it is.

We should be able to do it ourselves really without waiting for the stupid EU but that's for another thread.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    That's wrong I am afraid. They tried to get it through and it was never ratified
    I've just looked it up, and the problem was that there were objections from Jewish and Muslim groups that the labelling would have been done in a negative manner. It wouldn't have said "halal" or "kosher", it would have said "slaughtered without stunning", or words to that effect.

If non-religious people are that bothered about buying halal or kosher meat on animal welfare grounds, one can only hope that they also make a point of never buying or eating any meat that has been factory-reared.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

For a restaurant (which is what Subway is) to be considered either halal or kosher, it must keep the storage, preparation and cooking of halal/kosher and non-H/K food entirely separate. Separate storage, separate prep areas, separate utensils, separate cookers and so on. There must be no possibility of cross-contamination.

The obvious expense of maintaining separate H/K and non-H/K storage, prep and cooking means that most restaurants that want to serve the H/K market decide to go solely H/K. There are quite a few restaurants in the Muslim world that cater to both, but they tend to be expensive upmarket places, where the costs of effectively running separate kitchens can be more easily reflected in the cost of the food without customers complaining that it's too expensive.

Well, all that proves to me is that religion is generally a joke. We have refrigerators nowadays, so pork products keep well enough.

All I'm asking is that whatever meat I eat is either labelled Halal, non Halal (containing Halah meat), non Halal (containing no Halal meat), so at least I can make an informed choice. I know I can avoid Subway Halal stores, but it's the general hypocrisy of it all, that two ethnic minorities are selling only Halal or Kosher from certain outlets, but other people are not given the right to be told there are eating non Halal or Kosher meat, but which maybe contaminated by Halal or Kosher. Double standards at its best.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Depends on whether the only Subway within near distance of where you live is Halal only.

Forget about religion (whatever that may be). What about non-religious people that on principle do not want to eat meat of any type killed under religious reasons. I have no choice in eating Halal or Kosher meat, because it finds its way into the general food chain for everybody to consume, but I can never be sure, because as far as I know there is no legal requirement to label meat for general consumption as containing Halal or Kosher meat. In other words contaminated for Muslims or Jews, but in the case of these two religions they can go to a shop that only sells Halal or Kosher meat. I don't particular want to go to a non Halal or Kosher meat shop, because I can't be sure whether the non Halal or Kosher meat contains a quantity of Halal or Kosher meat within, but because we are not told, how do I know otherwise.

I agree that food should be clearly labelled - and Subway is doing just that (you can even find your local halal or non-halal branch on their website.

If you don't have a non-halal Subway near you then I suppose you will have to shop elsewhere... just like Muslims who live where I do must... the nearest halal Subway is in Cardiff.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I'd go to my local independent greasy spoon, or van, to buy my bacon sarnie.

Subway is shit, will always be shit and is not even on my radar for bread and meat based snacks. The local greasy gets my cash every time.

I SO agree!! The transport cafe wins every time for a bacon sandwich with tomato dip, fried egg and sausage (black pudding an optional extra).

Damn you!! I'm salivating at the thought. :D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I SO agree!! The transport cafe wins every time for a bacon sandwich with tomato dip, fried egg and sausage (black pudding an optional extra).

Damn you!! I'm salivating at the thought. :D

A big breakfast roll for me tomorrow, from the van adjacent to my office.
    Run by a bloke who tows it in and out every day.

2 sausage, 2 bacon, black pudding, fried egg, brown sauce, for £3.90.

Only once a month, but it's soooo good.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I'm not personally affected by this issue, but do find it bizarre that there are educated adults who genuinely believe that god not only exists but has an opinion about what they have in their sandwich. Funny and sad in equal measures.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, all that proves to me is that religion is generally a joke. We have refrigerators nowadays, so pork products keep well enough.

All I'm asking is that whatever meat I eat is either labelled Halal, non Halal (containing Halah meat), non Halal (containing no Halal meat), so at least I can make an informed choice. I know I can avoid Subway Halal stores, but it's the general hypocrisy of it all, that two ethnic minorities are selling only Halal or Kosher from certain outlets, but other people are not given the right to be told there are eating non Halal or Kosher meat, but which maybe contaminated by Halal or Kosher. Double standards at its best.

Lol. Muslim and Jewish are religions not ethnic minorities. Any race can be either of those religions including the white majority.