Options

Prices of suncream

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
Forum Member
✭✭
The prices of suncream is a lot cheaper in the Winter then it is the Summer, Welcome to Rip off Britain. But you need it to stop from getting burned.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I've noticed for many years the deals start in the summer with half price and BOGOF offers and it changes to a 1/3 off in Winter.

Then again, supply and demand could have a lot to do with market price fluctuations...
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prices of suncream is a lot cheaper in the Winter then it is the Summer, Welcome to Rip off Britain. But you need it to stop from getting burned.

Supply and demand.

Low demand in Winter = lower prices
    High demand in Summer = higher prices
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does suncream have an expiry date? You could always buy it in Winter when it is cheaper and stock up :D
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a handsome sized bottle of Piz Bun factor 30 in tescos the other day for 8 quid....normally twice that
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bought Hawaiian tropic factor 0 in Ibiza last year for about £6. that's the stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    Got a handsome sized bottle of Piz Bun factor 30 in tescos the other day for 8 quid....normally twice that

Probably jobbing them out because all of the brands have been recently tested by Which? and that with Piz Buin, Hawaiian Tropic and Malibu, you may as well just smother yourself in lard for all the good it does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably jobbing them out because all of the brands have been recently tested by Which? and that with Piz Buin, Hawaiian Tropic and Malibu, you may as well just smother yourself in lard for all the good it does.

Oh, well, Ive used it before and had no problem..Which isnt always right........anyway theres always loads of offers in many shops...three for twos in boots for example......Im tempted to try the one you apply just once a day..P20 or something from memory, expensive at around 20-25 quid but might well save lots in the long run
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's apparently a sun cream coming out that you can drink, which one teaspoon can give you three hours protection from UV rays.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirt cheap in Home Bargains.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Supply and demand.

Low demand in Winter = lower prices
    High demand in Summer = higher prices

Yep. Pretty simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's apparently a sun cream coming out that you can drink, which one teaspoon can give you three hours protection from UV rays.

Don't think that will work but it will be great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

some people / researchers have too much time on their hands.....

:D

I will stick with lathering it on....I like being a luddite in my old age
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since it is a prophylactic medicine that protects against skin cancer; the basic version should be priced like aspirin or paracetamol which retails for about 20 pence a pack.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Since it is a prophylactic medicine that protects against skin cancer; the basic version should be priced like aspirin or paracetamol which retails for about 20 pence a pack.

You can pick up a bottle of factor 30 in Aldi for about £3.00 - bargain.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy mine in poundland and lather it on because I like the pale and pasty look.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I read that in the online version of the Daily Mail. They published a credulous article which read like an advert, and failed to spot that the product was rather obviously nonsensical.

Edit: I've just looked on the manufacturer's website. There, you'll find crap like this:

"Scientific Breakthroughs

Remarkable technology that imprints frequencies (as standing waves) onto water molecules.

Advances in the ability to “stack” thousands of frequencies onto one molecule.

Revolutionary formula allows us to reverse engineer the frequencies of substances found in nature and/or the human body.

Newly identified frequencies that have beneficial effects on the body."

It's harmonised water at £17 a bottle. Or "water", as I prefer to call it.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Boots own brand factor 50 and I've still got a tan already... My reverse-panda eyes are crazy at the moment.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    I'd disagree with the OP - Sainsburys nearly always have half price decent brand suncream in summer, whereas when I tried to buy some sun cream last November ahead of a long distance holiday, they had hardly any stock and it was full price.

Sun cream is cheap in the UK anyway - am always amazed how much more it costs abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surly natives aboard won't need suncream as they used to it, Suncream is just for the tourists.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    If I buy it I'll buy Ultrasun
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirt cheap in Home Bargains.

From consumer watchdog "Which" -

"Calypso Sun Lotion SPF 30 was the cheapest sun cream to pass the consumer watch dog's tests, priced at £1.20 per 100ml (£2.99 for 250ml bottle from Home Bargains)".
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side, they are practically giving away snow shovels at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will have to pay me to take a snow shovel home at this time of year :D
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will have to pay me to take a snow shovel home at this time of year :D

You'll be sorry come January when there's four foot of snow outside and the big snow shovel cartels have jacked the price through the roof.

You need to start thinking a few moves ahead.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I buy mine in poundland, i took a load with me to cyprus, worked a treat, and it worked out at least half the price of the nearest competitor.
    Only comes in small bottles though, but it still works out cheaper.