Options

Will I get sued for quitting McDonalds without notice?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I did retail, was a lot better, I had even more hours! Its only Mcd, has anyone even worked there before?

I heard that they have a good management training scheme. Maybe you should try another retail job.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did retail, was a lot better, I had even more hours! Its only Mcd, has anyone even worked there before?

I have to admit this thread is giving me a chuckle!

To answer your question though yes, I worked in McDs when I was at high school, was after several jobs from the age of about 13, (I'm 31 now), and then as a student I had some other jobs including security, veg picking, care work, bar work, retail, call centre etc etc and quite honestly McDonald's was a walk in the park in comparison to those types of 'easy entry' jobs I did as a younger one...

I can't see how you've given it a fair go, just quit when it's got a little tough, I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you might still be at school? If so, get some work ethic engrained in you, or REAL working life is gonna be a struggle for you!
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »

I can't see how you've given it a fair go, just quit when it's got a little tough, I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you might still be at school? If so, get some work ethic engrained in you, or REAL working life is gonna be a struggle for you!

According to one of his previous threads that were pointed to earlier on in this one, he's either just turned 21 or will do so in the next few days.

Shame he won't get his adult rate NMW now!
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of an employer suing an employee for leaving without notice.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It happens.... if, say, you're a director at Amazon and leave for Walmart, or a project head at Facebook and leave for Google.

It doesn't happen to 21 year olds who have been frying burgers for 4 days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting a new place is hard generally, unless it's being a pie or cake tester or something, for the most part you do want to just bury your head in the sand when the alarm starts ringing in the morning. Having bills to pay and a mortgage I find is superb for focusing the mind. It usually gets better once you're used to the place, I'd give it at least three months for a fair crack at it. Think of that free yummy McDonalds scran too.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Probably not if you only generally deal with an unskilled cohort.

As soon as you start dealing with educated professional or skilled workers, it's a very different matter.

When I finished up at my last firm I was *forced* to take 6 months paid garden leave (April to October) prior to leaving. If I had started working sooner, either paid or unpaid, my firm would have taken formal legal action.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not if you only generally deal with an unskilled cohort.

As soon as you start dealing with educated professional or skilled workers, it's a very different matter.

When I finished up at my last firm I was *forced* to take 6 months paid garden leave (April to October) prior to leaving. If I had started working sooner, either paid or unpaid, my firm would have taken formal legal action.

Many a personal business is set up during gardening leave! It's a blessed time!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Happens at a senior level. It would never happen to a burger flipper who had been there 5 minutes.

If the Managing Director of McDonalds UK suddenly quit to start working for Burger King UK then they would be issued to an injunction to stop them working for a competitor for at least 3-6 months.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 days a week for long hours, felt like a year!

You lasted two weeks in a McJob and quit because you thought it was hard work? You don't know what hard work is. Little wonder the Country is going down the shitter if people like you are the new face of the work farce.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have thought it was entirely predictable what working at McDonalds would entail.
    Everyone has to do tasks they don't like or work with people they don't like in order to maintain gainful employment. You shouldn't throw the towel in so soon.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 days a week for long hours, felt like a year!

I like how everyone who assumes because you said this, that you thought it was hard work, those assumptions are usually made by idiots.

Like you I felt like that about a job, and quit after 5 days, yes it was long hours, but the work was easy...what made the job awful and felt like a shift lasted a lot longer than what it was, was the fact it was so sheer mind numbing boring.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    No, but you'll never be allowed to step foot in another branch of MacDonalds.... anywhere in the world!!!!

I quit my Maccy D's job after 3 days to go and work in a Burger King..... I've never set foot in a Maccy D's since everytime I try a security guard throws me out :(:o

Mcdonalds has security guards?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mcdonalds has security guards?

many do, yes.
    they essentially have bouncers on the door.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    many do, yes.
    they essentially have bouncers on the door.

My sister worked at one of the MacDonald's in Leeds, it had bouncers - and they were definitely needed, especially after the clubs shut in the wee small hours.
This discussion has been closed.