Can you buy a DVD from HMV online now?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,323
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been given a HMV voucher (which says i cant use it online, but none the less research) and plan to buy some stuff with it, so I went to the website to have a look around, only all I could find was music news, and nothing to actually buy.

Did they stop selling online?

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell have they done to their site? It certainly doesn't look like a one where you can buy things. I can't find anything for sale on it.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think they stopped selling online shortly after going into administration earlier this year.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    What the hell have they done to their site? It certainly doesn't look like a one where you can buy things. I can't find anything for sale on it.
    glad im not the only one
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

It could be HMV's way of trying to get their stores to take in a lot more money. It would save on delivery charges as well. For some reason, HMV must have decided to stop selling online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I believe HMV said mailing costs were so expensive online sales in mainland UK simply weren't viable...

(They have an online presence in Ireland and N. Ireland.)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe HMV said mailing costs were so expensive online sales in mainland UK simply weren't viable...)
    has someone told that to the rest of the internet?
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They have made it so you can't even see which DVD's they may have in store though, A bus ride and 20 miles to my nearest hmv, So they lose my custom before they get it because there is better options that are not as hit and miss

I can see if amazon have it without a wasted journey
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can. It's at www.hmvshop.co.uk but is actually run by HMV Ireland.

Not sure how good they are.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think they stopped selling online shortly after going into administration earlier this year.

Longer than that. They haven`t had a viable website for a long while now
    zx50 wrote: »
    It could be HMV's way of trying to get their stores to take in a lot more money. It would save on delivery charges as well. For some reason, HMV must have decided to stop selling online.
    I believe HMV said mailing costs were so expensive online sales in mainland UK simply weren't viable...

Became uneconomical for them when the VAT loophole was closed for the Channel Islands which is where they shipped most of their stock from.
    cris182 wrote: »
    They have made it so you can't even see which DVD's they may have in store though, A bus ride and 20 miles to my nearest hmv, So they lose my custom before they get it because there is better options that are not as hit and miss

Their stock-control system was always useless. I lost count of the number of times I was told on the phone they had something in-stock in-store so I went and they didn`t have it. Worse than useless, actually actively misleading.

Still, over the years they helped me make good money selling their stock online. One particular DVD bought from them for less than a fiver in-store sold on EBay for a good two years for anything up to £50! That was the gift that kept on giving!