LOST - The Statue - Sobek? Anubis? Tawaret?

http://www.biasci.com/polyorg/Sobek_idol.jpg

I think it's fairly obvious now that the statue is of Sobek, or possibly Anubis, or Tawaret. They're all fairly similar. Assuming it is (either one) what's the significance? Does it have any significance to the story, or is it simply a sign for 'look at the egyptian statue, that's how long the island has been here'? Were there once other statues on the island, or just this one? Was it to warn people away, or bring people to the island? Does Ben know how it was destroyed?

Comments

• leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the significance will be addressed in season six,but how awesome was that opening scene,got shivers when i saw the Black Rock and the statue and then to top it off came the Jacob reveal,triple whammy or what.:D
  • kitty_kat_ukkitty_kat_uk Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    on the ABC website for Lost under recaps it talks about the statue and when it is discovered. The website calls the statue Tawaret - (a patron of childbirth and a protector of women and children).
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has to be some good reason for the putting the Statue, and all the other Egyptian references that were frequent in series 5, into the plot.

After all, they have no normal reason for being in the middle of the Pacific. So they cannot be just seen as set decoration...

So they must have some very specific reference to the events that will unfold in series 6.
  • Shirt SlicerShirt Slicer Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moreso with the Egyptian stuff. Why the hell would an Egyptian island be in the middle of the pacific? Perhaps it's Atlantis? and it didn't sink overnight, it just moved, and everyone assumed it sank?

One thing I really wish with Lost is that the story truly had been written from the start of the show. It would mean we would've gotten so many other cool little refrences everywhere. Perhaps Jacob in the background in some scenes, just cool stuff like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the ABC website for Lost under recaps it talks about the statue and when it is discovered. The website calls the statue Tawaret - (a patron of childbirth and a protector of women and children).

Interesting bit of info - perhaps the absence of the statue is linked to no woman being able to carry a pregnancy to term?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm, childbirth eh? Perhaps someone angered the gods which is why no kids could be born on the island.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Ben know how it was destroyed?

I got the impression that Ben does know how it was destroyed.

I am also presuming the nuke going off is what destroyed it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to ABC, it's Tawaret, probably with some creative licence. I don't think it's supposed to have ankhs, but the lost one does.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ I think that was most likely to keep people guessing.

I think it's the bomb that destroys the statue as well.
  • BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heh.
    Wonder if Tawaret was a vengeful God after his statue got knocked down, meaning no babies could be born on the island.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think the baby problem was due to the statue being destroyed, as babies were still being born OK in the 70's.

I assume the statue was destroyed before then, as it could be clearly seen from the Orchid station during the time skips. Surely if it was still around in the 70's, someone would have mentioned it?

I wonder where the rest of the statue went?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    All I know of Sobek is from his role in the DC comics. Can't wait for everything to be explained - love how much they're slowly drip feeding already.

2010 can't come quickly enough!
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not worth pondering; save your braincells.

Nowadays, Lost is like a farce that bumps into a charade at a party, dances the night away and then drunkenly falls into a vat of ridiculous at the end of the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not worth pondering; save your braincells.

Nowadays, Lost is like a farce that bumps into a charade at a party, dances the night away and then drunkenly falls into a vat of ridiculous at the end of the night.

Clearly it is, based on the overwhelmingly positive response to the season five finale :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mates? wrote: »
    Clearly it is, based on the overwhelmingly positive response to the season five finale :)

And after the toxic stupidity of the vat is deemed unsalvageable, it's poured into a lake of WTF?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And after the toxic stupidity of the vat is deemed unsalvageable, it's poured into a lake of WTF?

So as somebody who I've never even seen comment on it, do you watch the show or is this just random trolling?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mates? wrote: »
    So as somebody who I've never even seen comment on it, do you watch the show or is this just random trolling?

***SPOILERS(season 3)***

You, sir, are entitled to know that I was a bit of an obsessive for three seasons, but at the end of the third run my BS detector was on unsustainable overdrive.

I feel the need to dispense the truth on this issue, which is that Lost as a well-structured series was lost upon the crest of some hysterical popularity. Did you see Monaghan's interview on Jonathan Ross shortly before his character's death? Even he admitted that the creators had an ending (excuse me whilst I GUFFAW!!), but that they were stretching it out due to the show's startlingly high ratings.

And so it has proven. Episodes now play out like the collective stream-of-consciousness of a sleep-deprived staff of writers who chuckle as they pepper each instalment with yet more vacuous enigmas. Season three insulted the show's viewers' intelligence on so many levels.

Can you really say that you're oblivious to the number of fans who've jumped ship because they feel they're being strung along by a confounded farrago of pseudo-mystery?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you really say that you're oblivious to the number of fans who've jumped ship because they feel they're being strung along by a confounded farrago of pseudo-mystery?

I'm assuming this is an opinion rather than a fact. After all, I'm not sure there are exact figures on how many have 'jumped ship because they feel they're being strung along by a confounded farrago of pseudo-mystery'.

Unless you can provide them, of course.

I can't accept lower audience figures as an answer, as you've already played the 'startling high ratings' argument for its lack of quality as well as narrowed down the demographic you've mentioned into a rather small category.

Good luck, sir.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Im pretty sure the writers had a rough idea of where they were going planned from the start! I'm sure I read somewhere that a line was cut from a season 1 episode with sayid and Danielle, where Sayid asks her what her research team were studying, to which she replies 'Time'.

The line was cut because apperently ABC didn't want to Alienate viewers who wouldn't be interested in the sci-fi elements of the show. Also the statue was only supposed to have 6 toes, but ABC decided that 4 toes was less weird and pressured them to use 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ***SPOILERS(season 3)***

You, sir, are entitled to know that I was a bit of an obsessive for three seasons, but at the end of the third run my BS detector was on unsustainable overdrive.

I feel the need to dispense the truth on this issue, which is that Lost as a well-structured series was lost upon the crest of some hysterical popularity. Did you see Monaghan's interview on Jonathan Ross shortly before his character's death? Even he admitted that the creators had an ending (excuse me whilst I GUFFAW!!), but that they were stretching it out due to the show's startlingly high ratings.

And so it has proven. Episodes now play out like the collective stream-of-consciousness of a sleep-deprived staff of writers who chuckle as they pepper each instalment with yet more vacuous enigmas. Season three insulted the show's viewers' intelligence on so many levels.

You act as if Darlton haven't admitted that. They also went out of their way to get an end date during Season 3 so they didn't have to stretch out the story anymore.
  • cassiopeacassiopea Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    I dont think the baby problem was due to the statue being destroyed, as babies were still being born OK in the 70's.

I assume the statue was destroyed before then, as it could be clearly seen from the Orchid station during the time skips. Surely if it was still around in the 70's, someone would have mentioned it?

I wonder where the rest of the statue went?

I think it's a strong condender for the reason babies aren't born on the island. You are right in that we did see the statue whole in the time skips but that was in the time skips so it was several time frames perhaps before the 70's. I don't think we know 100% that it was or wasn't whole in the 70's yet.

Other possibilities IMO are also:
    leaking radiation from the EM pocket
    a semi contained H bomb detonation
    something to do with Jacob's 2nd wife being barren (in the stories from the Bible)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not oblivious to the few fans that have left because they cannot follow what is going on, but are we going to pander to the lowest common denominator when it comes to intelligent television?
    I prefer a show that lets me think, if you don't there are plenty of alternatives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    I'm not oblivious to the few fans that have left because they cannot follow what is going on, but are we going to pander to the lowest common denominator when it comes to intelligent television?
    I prefer a show that lets me think, if you don't there are plenty of alternatives.

Well said. Lost's greatest attribute is the fact its gets ou thinking and talking. No other show minus reality TV nonsense gets people chatting about their theories on the outcome.

Its the best show I have seen and 2010 can't come soon enough.
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is probably completely wrong but someone on another thread a while ago wondered where all the cement came from to build the darma stations etc ... So, what if Darma destroyed the statue to use the bricks / cement to build the Swan ( which they may have had to build very quickly after the incident ) or something else ... if the statue was a patron of childbirth then maybe this is why no pregnancies survived on the island after the statue was destroyed! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whip wrote: »

What, do you propose some tit-for-tat series of posts whereby I boast, "But I've seen Heimat-through-to-Heimat 3", and you rejoinder, "Oh yeah? Well I've seen the complete series of Dekalog and everything ever written by Stephen Poliakoff"?

Let's not. I've written a dissertation on television, and whilst I don't think it makes me especially qualified to talk about it, it does prove that I stop and think before allowing a show like Lost to pull the wool over my eyes. There is no grand design anymore, it's just 80% arbitrary absurdity and 20% recycled ideas from when the series had anything resembling a coherent thread.

I'm surprised anyone could be so presumptuous as to assume that everyone who's given up on Lost has done so because they can't keep pace with its cast-iron complexity. The show's integrity these days is the opposite of water-tight, and whenever a teaboy happens upon a staff writing session they're as likely as not to see the scenarists plunging their hands into a magician's hat and producing the next unmotivated, unplanned tangent of mystery scribbled on a piece of paper minutes ago.