Late Show with David Letterman (Part 2)

Comments

• stevehotspurstevehotspur Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late-night host David Letterman acknowledged on Thursday's show that he had sexual relationships with female employees and that someone tried to extort $2 million from him over the affairs. CBS says an employee has been charged with attempted grand larceny in the case.
    Letterman told his story during a taping of his show, mixing in jokes to an audience that seemed confused about what it was. He called it a "bizarre experience" that left him feeling disturbed and menaced.
    In a release from the show's production company, Letterman said he referred the matter to the Manhattan district attorney's office. An investigation ended in an arrest Thursday after Letterman issued a phony $2 million check to keep the matter silent.
    The network said late Thursday the person who was arrested works on the true-crime show "48 Hours" and has been suspended. A person with knowledge of the investigation who spoke on condition of anonymity said the suspect is Robert J. Halderman.
    A "48 Hours" producer named Joe Halderman was part of a team nominated for an Emmy for outstanding continuing coverage of a news story in a news magazine in 2008.
    Two numbers listed for Halderman were disconnected, and a message left at a third number was not immediately returned Thursday.
    The late-night comic began his show by walking onstage and briefly leaning on a pillar with his back to the audience. Then he gave a monologue with jokes against frequent foils like Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin. He told his personal story after sitting behind his desk.
    He said he was glad the audience was in a pleasant mood "because I have a little story that I'd like to tell you and the home viewers as well."
    Three weeks ago, Letterman said he got in his car early in the morning and found a package with a letter saying "I know that you do some terrible, terrible things and that I can prove you do some terrible things." He acknowledged the letter contained proof.
    Letterman said he called his lawyer to set up a meeting with the man, who threatened to write a screenplay and a book about Letterman unless he was given money. There were two subsequent meetings with the man, the last one resulting in the check being delivered.
    He told the audience that he had to testify before a grand jury on Thursday.
    "I was worried for myself, I was worried for my family," he said. "I felt menaced by this, and I had to tell them all of the creepy things that I had done."
    "The creepy stuff was that I have had sex with women who work for me on this show," he said. "My response to that is yes, I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Yes, it would, especially for the women."
    Whether they wanted to make the relationships public was up to them, he said.
    "It's been a very bizarre experience," he said. "I felt like I needed to protect these people. I need to protect my family. I need to protect myself. Hope to protect my job."
    Letterman mixed in jokes while telling the story, keeping his audience off guard.
    "I know what you're saying," he said. "I'll be darned, Dave had sex."
    It was not immediately clear when the relationships took place; Letterman and longtime girlfriend Regina Lasko married in March. The couple began dating in 1986 and have a son, Harry, born in November 2003.
    CBS spokesman Chris Ender said Thursday that "Letterman's comments on the broadcast tonight speak for themselves."
    It's the second set of embarrassing headlines for Letterman in four months. In June, he apologized to Sarah Palin for making a crude joke about the former Republican vice presidential candidate's 14-year-old daughter. Although there was a small "fire Letterman" demonstration outside of his studio later, CBS stood by its late-night star.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's loads more just Google it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xPre-Wwz9I
    very jumpy video but the audio is ok
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xPre-Wwz9I
    very jumpy video but the audio is ok
    Poor Dave - as well as this extortion attempt, he's had someone stalking him in the past.

I was a bit worried when he mentions that he hopes he can secure his job at the Late Show after this - I hope CBS does the right thing and keeps him. He admitted he had relationships with his staff but he seems sorry about it.

I'm a bit curious how the guy thought he was going to cash a $2million cheque - surely you couldn't just walk into a bank with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I'm sorry? POOR DAVE? :rolleyes:

urgh, my first thought was for his poor wife! How humiliating this must be for her.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Dave - as well as this extortion attempt, he's had someone stalking him in the past.

I was a bit worried when he mentions that he hopes he can secure his job at the Late Show after this - I hope CBS does the right thing and keeps him. He admitted he had relationships with his staff but he seems sorry about it.

I'm a bit curious how the guy thought he was going to cash a $2million cheque - surely you couldn't just walk into a bank with that.

Well, Dave did say it was a fake check, so theres no way ANY bank would process it anyway, after doing all the usual endorsing processes that an American bank does cos they have far more up-to-date modern technology than, say our banks do!!!!

Maybe the fake check was a way of catching this guy out!!!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

urgh, my first thought was for his poor wife! How humiliating this must be for her.

I'm a huge fan of Dave but i have to agree, it's his wife and son i feel sorry for, not him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I said "Poor Dave" I was referring to the whole extortion incident - not the fact he had affairs. The fact that Dave had affairs with his staff is wrong, but he shouldn't have been extorted for $2million for doing so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen this report and video on Virgin medias homepage, I'm not sure what to think to be honest.
    All I will say is, that Dave, like everyone else on this planet is only human, and just as fallible as the rest of us.
    I hope he can work things out with his wife.
    I for one, will continue to support him and watch his show as long as he is on air!:)
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a joke from the crowds reaction...I guess they didn't understand what was happening?
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8286258.stm

Lettermans so overrated and unfunny.

Even when hes telling a true story the audience laughs. :confused:
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Well, it isn't clear WHEN he had the relationships.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave has been with his (now) wife since around 1986.
    They only married this year.
    I'm assuming the "relationships" took part whilst he is at CBS. (1993 -present day)
    Not really a good sign for Daves "defence".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for the whole Letterman family. Obviously, it's not nice for Regina, but it can't be much fun being the target of a blackmail plot either.

Wonder whether this will impact on Dave cracking jokes about politicans having affairs, such as his Spitzer and Clinton jokes though.

EDIT:

Woah. Just been reading more about this. Dave's blackmailer is a former boyfriend of one of the women he slept with. Who used to live with the blackmailer? The lovely Stephanie.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/10/01/2009-10-01_david_letterman_reveals_extortion_plot_con_man_wanted_2m_for_sex_secrets.html?page=1

This would certainly explain why Steph seemed to just disappear from the show after having a regular starring role for some years.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    mark01942 wrote: »
    Dave has been with his (now) wife since around 1986.
    They only married this year.
    I'm assuming the "relationships" took part whilst he is at CBS. (1993 -present day)
    Not really a good sign for Daves "defence".

I really don't know what went on or when. I do know he was notoriously reluctant to marry again, and they weren't 'together' in a 'live-in' monogonous relationship until much later, so...at least it's complicated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder whether this will impact on Dave cracking jokes about politicans having affairs, such as his Spitzer and Clinton jokes though.

Yeah, it's going to be harder (and hypocritical) for him to mock sleazy politicians and presidents from now on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poor harry letterman!!!

big story in London lite and madonna story in london Metro, im waiting desperately for both the admitting and madonna shows to come up!!!

this is pretty bad news for dave, didn't know he would do such things, but i suppose you never know what goes on behind closed doors :/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ""What we don't know, of course, is whether Letterman simply had consensual relations with a fellow grownup at a time when both were free agents or whether other factors were at play, like age or job description. We may never know, and frankly, it would be none of our business except that sometimes this stuff slips out and, okay, we love it when that happens. In any case, Dave's performance last night ensured extortion will not be the main story here. ""

The New York Daily News's David Hinckley thinks Letterman's sex life has become the chief focus of interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Letterman story is still a shocker. In one way I feel sorry for him for being a victim of possible extortion. On the other hand I feel sorry for his wife and Harry.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday shows are now available at the usual source.

Hopefully Wednesday's show will appear at some point.

Letterman had big pieces in the London Lite and the London Evening Standard today. I would expect it to be in the tabloids like The Sun, The Mirror, etc tomorrow.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just searched all the media coverage of Daves extortion case on Bing.com and in a few of the publications it names one of the females that Dave has had sexual relations with as being Stephanie Birkett. Up untill the birth of Harry she worked at the Late Show as a regular walk-on as the girl who used to hand out the envelope prizes to audience members!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Apparently she had an affair with this CBS Producer as well, while he was married, cos his ex-wife lives in Colorado somewhere!!!
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    I have just searched all the media coverage of Daves extortion case on Bing.com and in a few of the publications it names one of the females that Dave has had sexual relations with as being Stephanie Birkett. Up untill the birth of Harry she worked at the Late Show as a regular walk-on as the girl who used to hand out the envelope prizes to audience members!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Alsways thought he looked like a sex pest and it comes out he is one, using his position and power to shag interns, very disappointing.

And all those jokes about Clinton when he could have been talking about himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently she had an affair with this CBS Producer as well, while he was married, cos his ex-wife lives in Colorado somewhere!!!
    Wow, Stephanie "Mr Carney" Birkett?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/10/david-letterman-stephanie-birkitt-extortion.html

She still works on The Tony Mendez Show for the Late Show on cbs.com doesn't she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Stephanie "Mr Carney" Birkett?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/10/david-letterman-stephanie-birkitt-extortion.html

She still works on The Tony Mendez Show for the Late Show on cbs.com doesn't she?

yeah she does! damn... letterman was a player

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8287801.stm
    now the guy denies blackmailing letterman...

"CBS employee Robert "Joe" Halderman, was arrested after an undercover sting operation, New York authorities said. "
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    I was sad when I heard about this today. Dave's actions are both shocking and inexcusable. Sort of puts into perspective the huge furore over here about Jonathan Ross being partly responsible for leaving a rude message on an elderly gentleman's answerphone. Compared to this, it's trivial at best. At least this actually warrants being called a "scandal" and the level of coverage it is getting.

The Late Show is a great programme but I'm afraid to say Dave himself has gone way down in my estimation after this. I feel so letdown I might have to start watching Conan.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shocker. I really liked her. Now I know what that weird energy between the two of them on-screen was all about.