Teen runs up £1,158 phone bill voting on I'm A Celebrity

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-12-09/teen-runs-up-1-158-phone-bill-voting-on-im-a-celebrity/

Oh dear, 18 year old racks up £1158 on some TV show.

Why wasn't she paying the bill? Well she is now :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How refreshing to learn that the network provider has not been blamed.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Get a bit of publicity out of it and now hope they will cancel the bill

How can a 18 year old who will have grown up with a mobile in her hand most of her life not know how much they cost to text ect
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more gobsmacked people still watch that guff.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I look at people strangely who vote ONCE on those reality shows...so I don't really have any words for this case.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serves her right.

Hope the mother makes sure she pays every penny herself...
    Forum Member
    "...calls from your mobile will cost considerably more..."

Said loud and clear by Ant & Dec several times during each episode.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely if the bill were to be cancelled, or even reduced, then the associated votes become null and void and ITV will have to do a recount? It's the only fair and equitable thing to do. ;-)
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the phone company
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sounds like partly her parents fault by getting her a phone on contract.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if an idiot who buys a picture of an Xbox on Ebay can get a free console, why can't an idiot who runs up a massive phone bill get it cancelled?
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    College student Nicole Hassall was unaware she was incurring charges when she repeatedly rang the ITV show's voting line on her mobile with the enormous bill only becoming apparent when her telephone operator sent her mother a warning by text message.
    She's either a liar or terminally stupid.
    The 18-year-old's mother, Eileen Hassall, who is also the bill-payer, said she wanted people to be aware how quickly charges can build up, after now facing the prospect of paying a huge bill at Christmas time.
    Every man and his dog are 'aware how quickly charges can build up' with the exception of this woman's idiot daughter.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Well, if an idiot who buys a picture of an Xbox on Ebay can get a free console, why can't an idiot who runs up a massive phone bill get it cancelled?

I just read in another thread that Orange have agreed to half it so if that is true all she needs is one or two newspaper stories with her giving the sad face with phone in hand and it will be paid off
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Hands up who believes her when she says she didn't realise it was costing money? :blush:

These cases are just the tip of the iceberg though.
    For every muppet like her, there's probably 10,000 who run up a bill of £20, £50 or £100 each week on shows such as BGT, X factor, Dancing on Ice etc.

Utter madness.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

Cause those two things are completely different? The guy did NOT obviously go on ebay to buy a picture of an Xbox one for £450. The seller was obviously trying to scam him. Of course he deserved his money back. Scams don't get judge on the actions of the victim, no matter how foolish they may be.

This case is nothing alike.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read in another thread that Orange have agreed to half it so if that is true all she needs is one or two newspapers stories with her giving the sad face with phone on hand and it will be paid off
    Ah - she's not nearly as thick as I thought ;-)
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can she pay in Dingo Dollars?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    I blame the phone company

I blame Australia.
    Forum Member
    I blame Australia.

Bunch of crooks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being on PAYG I know exactly how much I'm spending on calls.:D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cause those two things are completely different? The guy did NOT obviously go on ebay to buy a picture of an Xbox one for £450. The seller was obviously trying to scam him. Of course he deserved his money back. Scams don't get judge on the actions of the victim, no matter how foolish they may be.

This case is nothing alike.

It said 'Photo' in the title of the ad on Ebay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says on the Mirror site that the girl has mild learning disabilities, however I'm sure the situation was mostly avoidable. It's easily done, my sister ran up a similar bill a few years ago (mainly out of spite). Parents need to take responsibility when young/immature people are given things like mobiles and more recently tablets.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There truly is a breed in this country for whom the simple act of breathing in and out must pose a daily challenge.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I don't believe it for a second. The girl knew fine well what she was doing. We usually use our mobiles to vote and it is only a few pence extra, NOT pounds and certainly not tens of pounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read in another thread that Orange have agreed to half it so if that is true all she needs is one or two newspaper stories with her giving the sad face with phone in hand and it will be paid off

Update here:
    http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2013-12-09/1-158-im-a-celebrity-bill-halved-as-goodwill-gesture/

I still think she should be on PAYG!