• Options
    maakymaaky Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    t-mob wont be releasing the update until late summer

so, we sim free owners have truely been samdunged
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Samsung's response does not make sense. The networks don't have that much integration with a phones OS. Its just the Network side of the system (calls and 3G etc) which isn't that much of a biggie.

+ why the F would networks be sending out and testing Android firmware first ?? Its Samsung's job to get the system running correctly and networks to make shure it all works on their end (which is all the same anyway) before release.

Basically ICS isn't working somewhere. Probably with Touchwiz and the Samsung bloat, who knows.

Anyway, no worries I'm on the "official" 4.0.3 XEU firmware from XDA and its fine. :D

To be honest this is why Apple is so good. They get blanket updates out and support the users and phones. If the iPhone 5 is any good I think my S2 will be ditched fast.
  • Options
    southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the phone was bought from Phones4U on Vodafone, but it's unlocked (How it came from the shop) so any sim card can be used... will I have to wait for Vodafone update or the Sim-free update?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Sooooo, as I have an unlocked T-Mobile phone (unlocked by T-Mobile) can I stick a borrowed or payg 3 sim in, download their ICS, and then put my T-Mobile sim back to find all is well and ICS works?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sooooo, as I have an unlocked T-Mobile phone (unlocked by T-Mobile) can I stick a borrowed or payg 3 sim in, download their ICS, and then put my T-Mobile sim back to find all is well and ICS works?

each carrier has their own branded firmware, so nope,
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member

Branded ICS shouldnt affect the Sim lock and will work, but in any case there are plenty of ICS roms kicking around now, so avoid the carrier bloatware:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544487
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maaky wrote: »
    t-mob wont be releasing the update until late summer

so, we sim free owners have truely been samdunged

Is that true? That's rubbish if it is.
    Seems a bit unfair that I got my s2 from phones4u as a continuation of my o2 contract that I've had for years and can't get the update.
  • Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung you suck :mad:
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple's blanket updates have the habit of making the previous generations gadget less usable.
    It is not different from Windows release working best on new hardware.

To me the most important part is being able to roll back an update.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    red_g00ner wrote: »
    Samsung you suck :mad:

A bit sweeping!!? I don't subscribe to the idea that those with sim free phones should be first. The vast majority of the phones will be via networks.
    The only reason people are jumping up and down, is not because their phone has suddenly become unusable or rubbish. It's because they can't go down the pub and show off!!;)
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Apple's blanket updates have the habit of making the previous generations gadget less usable.
    It is not different from Windows release working best on new hardware.

To me the most important part is being able to roll back an update.

well not really.

The updates are pretty reliable, stable and offer genuine improvements etc. - Like any company they don't have to.
    Previous generations would have also had their updates in the past adding new features etc but there's also eventually the hardware limitations and the fact there's now 2=3 newer models.

Apple are much better at Customer support and getting fixes out than Samsung.
  • Options
    maakymaaky Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    orange customers, your ics update now available in kies

enjoy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    sorry, only got the phone a week ago, i've connected to kies, but no update. I'm with orange. Do I need to update kies?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member

enjoy

Are you sure? I'd be very surprised if Orange released this on a Bank Holiday before a Bank Holiday weekend. Orange UK Twitter is closed and support will be restricted.

I'm with Orange but I have an open market phone. Yesterday Orange support had no idea when ICS would be available!
  • Options
    Jakatta75Jakatta75 Posts: 59
    Forum Member

enjoy

I`m with Orange. My Kies ran a software update, but that was all.
    No sign of ICS.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    My manager at work updated his phone last night. He is on Orange. It was an over the air update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just looked on the Orange Helpers UK twitter page. In response to questions about when will ICS be available for the S2 the answer is they don't know now but when they have a release date it will be on the Twitter page
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive just conected my s2 via samsung wifi and the new firmware is there, but i get a message saying i need to connect usb in order to download it..have tried numerous times, sometimes i get driver not installed message then when I do fnally get connected it says no updates available un-yet the new firmware number is there on my kies screen.????....bloody confused.com..:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    madj40 wrote: »
    ive just conected my s2 via samsung wifi and the new firmware is there, but i get a message saying i need to connect usb in order to download it..have tried numerous times, sometimes i get driver not installed message then when I do fnally get connected it says no updates available un-yet the new firmware number is there on my kies screen.????....bloody confused.com..:(

Is your phone a network phone or open market?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I got it from the car phone warehouse band im on orange contract...if thats any help...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spoke to CS this morning(Orange) and they said rollout was on between now and 9th April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try *#1234# on the keypad. Look for the CSC line. If you see "XEU" in the text it is an open market phone.
    Mine shows I9100XEUKH2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WillowMan wrote: »
    Try *#1234# on the keypad. Look for the CSC line. If you see "XEU" in the text it is an open market phone.
    Mine shows I9100XEUKH2.

just checked and mine says 19100CPWKH1...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi all! Has anyone tried that yet? :

3 April, 2012 12:37

Guys, Why to wait??

Simply change you SGSII CSC code to NEE and Kies will detect the official ICS upgrade for your phone. No need to root or to install any kind of custom ROM's....

Follow the simple steps to change your CSC code:
    1. Press *#06# to get your IMEI.
    2. Press *#272*IMEI#
    3. Select NEE and click install. Phone will reboot.

Connect it to KIES and it will detect the Latest ICS upgrade.
    Keep it simple Silly!!!

Trust me guys ICS is awesome!!!
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that what Steve did?

Strange that you need a new ID to promote it.