Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    But the information (disinformation) passed on by the cameraman (and how is he exempt from the non-disclosure agreement?) is specific about filming two versions of the wedding -- one in which it comes off, the other in which it doesn't. Supposedly this is to keep people guessing, which seems rather pointless to me since glimpses of the rest of the series should make it reasonably clear whether or not they are at least living together. Unless the wedding episode is truly the 8th and they want the choice to end on a cliffhanger. It just makes no sense to me, but I suppose that's the state they want their fans to be in.

Or -- the camerman may have misunderstood something, and there's a big bust-up just before the wedding and DM goes storming off and this time LG goes after him and all is smoothed over and the wedding goes on. But I don't think the cameraman misunderstood.
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I wonder if the the comments by the PA, or cameraman, or whoever it was, were sanctioned from on high to deliberately throw us off the scent as to what is really happening. The non-disclosure agreement that the others have to abide by seem to be very well enforced. So you're right, NewPark, to question how he/she would be allowed to talk about the plot of the show without consequences. That's why I think it may be an intentional ploy to keep us guessing.

And it worked! We are all guessing now about the circumstances of the plot as to whether they really will get married! Even though an onlooker saw them doing the first dance. It's so expensive to shoot a scene over and over, it is hard to fathom that they are doing that just to confuse the fans. It could be a dream sequence. Even though they don't use dream sequences very often, and when they do the scenes are very short.

You two have touched on the single most important thing that makes me believe the dual-ending is a deliberate attempt to mislead us. Even one-time extras have been instructed to keep their mouths shut about what's happened so far during filming. An example is this that dmptrader posted:
    I just found in FB don't even know how I searched DM. Phillip Blackwell says that he just finished two days of filming as an extra and it was grueling. He says he cannot say anything or they won't use him again. But he says that "it's going to be an interesting series once again" and "make sure to watch every episode it's an emotional rollercoaster of a show again"

So if even one shot participants are being instructed not to disclose anything, what sense does it make for an actual crew member to run around telling people such detailed and bizarre info? None! It therefore has to be a deliberate attempt to keep us from knowing the truth. I figure any crew member questioned that day may have said the same thing, or a variant of it. Inconveniently for them, the next day we heard about the reception at the hotel, complete with a first dance and stepping on toes, as well as photos, including Doc and Bert wearing flowers in their lapels, and Louisa in a floor-length wedding gown with a ring on her left hand. I suspect that dual endings business was a red herring cooked up for that day's filming. If someone had asked specific questions of crew members or actors at the hotel the next day, we may have heard yet another misleading statement (but I can't imagine what, considering that LG was in her wedding dress).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one of the very recent articles (written, I think) MC said "never say never" when someone asked him if there would be another series after this s6. ITV would love it, acorn would love it, the fans would love it...it's all up to MC and BP. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Capital gain is a wonderful thing.
    Unless you've just finished filing your U.S. income taxes.

:D:D:D
    I did just that yesterday. But no gains here, capital or otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you've just finished filing your U.S. income taxes.

:)
    Just be happy you are not subject to Australian tax laws!! We pay upto 45% in income tax and cap gain is just added to your income so it can push you up a tax bracket and make you shudder. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Some random ideas:

Hey, BodminDM, sorry I haven't had a chance to comment on your interesting "Boho/Born with a Shotgun" list. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to watch it, but I hope within a day or two. I'm going to keep your ideas in my mind as I watch and I'll respond as soon as I've watched it.

Thanks!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Posted on FB.

The post-er is the one who thinks it's more fun not to know until the series is shown, definitely not my sentiment.

Not my sentiment, either, NewPark. Don't you think it amazing that she (and she's not the only one on FB who has said the same thing) is avidly reading FB for DM news but doesn't want to know anything until the show airs? :rolleyes::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to point out that MC several months ago in more than one interview said he and Louisa will marry or "cohabit" with the intention to be together. I guess we'll see if and how that works out.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/martin-clunes-martin-clunes-interview-doc-martin-s6-video-gw_wGhAFlq8-38614-1.html

This is the interview where MC said they'd "achieved a kind of tolerance for each other."

Interesting for his view of the story arc of S6.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    If you haven't seen this new video done by the ladies who do the Rock the Doc podcast, I recommend it. It's very, very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9ugQhDdhg

I was waiting for the funniest and best done (to me) "bump and fall" and there it was, right at the end. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/martin-clunes-martin-clunes-interview-doc-martin-s6-video-gw_wGhAFlq8-38614-1.html

This is the interview where MC said they'd "achieved a kind of tolerance for each other."

Interesting for his view of the story arc of S6.

Thanks, NewPark. I listened to that a couple of weeks ago (I think) but forgot to bookmark it. It's a good interview. I have a little bit of a gripe with what MC said. The entire sentence is, "They're going to work at a relationship that functions having achieved a sort of tolerance in the last one." They achieved a sort of tolerance in S5? Well, I guess in the last five minutes they did.

He also said there's, "A lot of love going on. Two slightly dysfunctional people. Well, extremely dysfunctional in the doctor's case but she's not brilliant." When the interviewer says they're "Drawn together by their dysfunctionality," MC agrees (and so do I).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I was waiting for the funniest and best done (to me) "bump and fall" and there it was, right at the end. :)

Right. That's probably the favorite of most of us. I suspect they left it for the end because it was so well done and such a hard hit!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the "long wedding dress" info. I did miss it.

The Rock the Doc video is such fun! Thanks for the link to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock the doc Podcast.

Interesting to listen to but not really funny are they? Or is it just my odd sense of humour?
    I wish they wouldn't swear so much so unnecessary. I think I'm getting old. : (
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some random ideas:

1) I love the little "dance" at the beginning. He really is willing to come a long way to meet her needs. He doesn't see any sense in it, he feels uncomfortable, he is rubbish at it - but he does it because she expects him to do it. If that isn't love:)

20) I think you can just love the scene at the end. And for a change DM and LG agree on the importance of bedtime stories. OK, not the content, but the fact in itself.
    However, at that age a baby hasn't got a clue what is read to him and just reacts on the sound of the voice, so it's a good way to get your stuff sorted and read to the baby. To kill two birds with one stone.

Love both of those!

I still don't get LG's decision to go to London with DM. There has been no reason for her to change her mind. He's done nothing or said nothing that would suggest to her that he might change. Imagine wanting the relationship they currently have to go on indefinitely? There is optimism and there is insanity! :rolleyes:
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not sure LG will become LE.

I'm not wholly sure what being "traditional" means, in the entirety of it. But, LG is a professional, single, self-established woman, and if she is still LG to ME, I don't really think at this point DM would care. I think he might see the bigger picture of making her happy, no matter her last name, so they stay together, but I do not really feel DM would mind if she kept her Glasson last name.

I am in your corner. I don't think she wants to be an appendage to Dr. Ellingham. She has gained a fine reputation in PW as a Glasson after her disastrous parents left town with less than favorable impressions in the minds of the villagers. She has worked many years to attain this and doesn't want to loose it in the shadow of her husband.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......GPs earn 80,000-100,000 GBP (see nhs site) pretty good for someone who spends nothing. DM didn't have to buy the surgery I am pretty sure (from previous research h regarding the hospital/surgery set up in UK) that it goes with the job.

In S1 ep1 there was a for sale sign on the surgery property at the beginning as the moving vans drove up. And it had an "under offer" addition meaning someone was purchasing it. We know Jim Sims had his surgery there. And Doc saws the sign off at the end when he decides to stay.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are older but nice. They require a RealPlayer video player for RAM files unless you have conversion software. The RealPlayer download is free.

Doc Martin and dog program

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/radioulster/withbennett/features236815.shtml

Goodbye Mr Chips

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/frontrow_20021218.shtml

http://www.real.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In S1 ep1 there was a for sale sign on the surgery property at the beginning as the moving vans drove up. And it had an "under offer" addition meaning someone was purchasing it. We know Jim Sims had his surgery there. And Doc saws the sign off at the end when he decides to stay.

That's true! I forgot that. :o

Then how do they explain Dr Dibbs just moving in? There are some surgeries in UK that are owned by the community or nhs and then leased out (I guess) to the drs. Not sure how Portwenn works maybe they are given permission to work there as a GP (the original interview in s1e1) but they have to buy their own premises or is it just the Portwenn effect again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Some random ideas:

I agree with all your ideas

Here are three that tickled me:

1. Mrs. Dunwich has fallen in her kitchen and Doc looks down at her and asks her "do you know where you are Mrs. uh, oh, thing" Had not noticed this the first 30 times I've seen this episode.

2. When Doc arrives at Shirley's bedroom and figures out the arsenic in the disturbed wallpaper he calls her "Mrs. Winchelsea" I laughed so hard.

3. Then when Grandad faints and he arrives in the garden he asks, "Can you hear me Mr. Dunwich?" Oh so typical Doc not to know or care about names.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Sorry to have offended you all with my comment. I was just speaking from my experiences having lived in central London for four years. My income alone exceeded the 'projections' quoted for a GP and then we had my ex's income which was on par with mine. Our investments and other income were probably in a similar range (if not better), too. We certainly could have bought a flat had we wanted to. It wouln't have been in Kensington, though, becase that was too far from where we worked-probably in Fitzrovia or Bloomsbury.

If you do not know what your situation is going to be 2, 4, 10 years down the road it makes little sense to get yourself involved in a hefty mortgage. In our case my employer could have transfered me to another location in the US/Europe/Asia, my ex was (at the time) essentially self employed and doing contract work. If you have tons of ready cash then it is no problem to buy a flat but we certainly did not have £300-750,000 in cash laying about in the bank so we would have had to have a mortgage. Along with the expense of buying a flat you also have to factor in all the other expenses associated with owning it. Real estate goes boom and bust and unless you know your job/financial situation is going to remain stable and plan on living in what you buy for the rest of your life it makes better financial sense to rent/lease. That way if your circumstances change you can get out fairly easily-either move when the lease is up or pay a fine for breaking it. You don't have to go through the hassle of selling or subletting it and dealing with renters along with the mortgage/taxes/other expenses while doing so.

Time to put on Martin Ellingham's pointy shoes....

In the case of ME he did have his original flat which he probably bought a long time ago when he first started out because he had no intention of doing anything besides being a surgeon or working anywhere else outside of central London. When the haemophobia came along he kept and sublet his flat because by then he probably had it paid off or close to it. In that situation it was a wise financial move. That is gone now-sold to pay his dad off and keep Joan on the farm.

His employment situation is far from settled. Yes, he has a job at Imperial but that by no means secure-he is no longer a phenomenon, he is damaged goods that they are rolling the dice on in hopes that he truly is back to his old form. If they think for one minute he is not totally cured he will be out the door so fast it won't have time to hit him in the butt. What makes it worse is the fact that he knows he still has a bit of a problem.

His personal situation is far from settled, too. Sure Louisa said she would go to London with him but he isn't so clueless to think that she won't change her mind at the drop of a hat as she so often does or, even worse, they get into a fight and she leaves for good.

If he loses his job there will be no other opprotunities for him to be a surgeon ever again and I would imagine that working as a GP in London would be rather uncomfortable for him because the whole medical community there would know the situation. I am sure there would be plenty of people he has pissed off that would delight in continually taking pot shots at him. He could choose to stay in London and live with the potshots or take a job as a GP, do research or teach somewhere else in the UK or the rest of the world.

If Louisa changes her mind and not move to London or outright breaks up with him he could opt to move to something a bit smaller that meets his needs as a single person and use the money saved to help pay child support.

Now....

If you were in ME's pointy shoes would you buy or lease a flat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have offended you all with my comment. I was just speaking from my experiences having lived in central London for four years.

If you do not know what your situation is going to be 2, 4, 10 years down the road it makes little sense to get yourself involved in a hefty mortgage.

Time to put on Martin Ellingham's pointy shoes....

In the case of ME he did have his original flat which he probably bought a long time ago when he first started out because he had no intention of doing anything besides being a surgeon or working anywhere else outside of central London. When the haemophobia came along he kept and sublet his flat because by then he probably had it paid off or close to
    it. In that situation it was a wise financial move. That is gone now-sold to pay his dad off and keep Joan on the farm.

If you were in ME's pointy shoes would you buy or lease a flat?

Sorry my post was so opinionated I didn't mean it to be! :eek:

In australia you can make enough money on property in 18 months to make it always worthwhile to buy rather than rent as long as you know what you're doing so I was basing my ideas (which are a pure guess) on that.

The thing is that I don't think DM would have sold his flat to pay $300,000 to chris to get him off AJ's back. I think he'd get it out of investments. He hasn't moved anywhere or had kids or gone on holiday for 20 years and I thought would have squirreled away a fair bit since he has lived a socially reclusive life and probably saved everything he earnt.

Now this could be a continuity error:
    Writer's discussion:
    s4 DM said he's sell his flat to pay out Chris
    s5 Hang on a sec we need that flat so he can move back to london - Oh the viewers will just think he got the money to pay out Chris from investment...

IF he did sell the original flat for AJ and did rent a flat to move to London why paint a rented flat? I would have thought it would be a pretty nice flat if DM was renting it so wouldn't expect it to be a dive like the ones I used to (in my uni days) rent and negotiated to paint for a rental reduction. :rolleyes:

IF he hadn't sold the flat but had rented it out then it might require repainting.

If he bought another flat to move to London then maybe it would require painting?

I don't know why we even THINK about these things in a fictitious country town. Why can't the writers just be consistent so I don't have to do my head in thinking of all these scenarios. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Some random ideas:

I agree with all your ideas

Here are three that tickled me:

1. Mrs. Dunwich has fallen in her kitchen and Doc looks down at her and asks her "do you know where you are Mrs. uh, oh, thing" Had not noticed this the first 30 times I've seen this episode.

2. When Doc arrives at Shirley's bedroom and figures out the arsenic in the disturbed wallpaper he calls her "Mrs. Winchelsea" I laughed so hard.

3. Then when Grandad faints and he arrives in the garden he asks, "Can you hear me Mr. Dunwich?" Oh so typical Doc not to know or care about names.

I remember when this episode first aired and people came on here saying it was a rubbish show because of all the continuity errors with DM calling the woman a different name in each scene!

We tried to explain it was deliberate and meant to be a joke.

One great thing about that Doc Martin Rocks Podcast (which of course - despite my above derogatory comments - I will listen to each and everyone of) is that Linda and Karen really get the jokes and it is indepth which is great too. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Right. That's probably the favorite of most of us. I suspect they left it for the end because it was so well done and such a hard hit!

Do you think he really did hit his head on that one?
    They are all convincing but that one really was a gem. :)

I also like the stair one where he falls UP the stairs.

"Mind the stairs"...what's going to happen after that...:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

I remember when this episode first aired and people came on here saying it was a rubbish show because of all the continuity errors with DM calling the woman a different name in each scene!

One great thing about that Doc Martin Rocks Podcast (which of course - despite above derogatory comments - I will listen to each and everyone of) is that Linda and Karen really get the jokes and it is indepth which is great too. :)

Oh I absolutely believe they were jokes and brilliant. They would definitely not miss that don't they have a person dedicated to continuity who sits through every scene? Love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One great thing about that Doc Martin Rocks Podcast (which of course - despite my above derogatory comments - I will listen to each and everyone of) is that Linda and Karen really get the jokes and it is indepth which is great too. :)

Oh I absolutely believe they were jokes and brilliant. They would definitely not miss that don't they have a person dedicated to continuity who sits through every scene? Love it.

Karen and Linda from Roc the Doc Podcasts say he misnamed someone 34 times in that episode alone! :D:D:D
    They might have been exaggerating (humour) I might have to watch the episode again just to check. sigh.
This discussion has been closed.