Stephen Hawking: A Brief History of Mine

soransoran Posts: 1,646
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else watching? I have always been fascinated by him, and can't believe he is still going strong at 71! No one with Motor neurone disease has ever lived as long as Stephen, and he just shows what is possible regardless of what disability you have.

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I'm watching but missed the first 10 mins. Will catch up on +1 tho.

He does totally amaze me and I will admit I thought he was American :blush:
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quite interesting better than watching X Factor.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not a genius, he's pretentious. Born in Oxford and talks with that fake American accent.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    better than watching X Factor.

Put that quote on the DVD box!
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed! Even Stephen could sing better than half the people on that show.

He's a true British icon, I can't believe he's 71.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

This sort of post is getting right on my nips.
    'Better than X factor, better than chav, reality tv, etc, etc'
    WTF does X factor or whatever had to do with it?
    Nothing and F'all, that's what.

How about discussing the actual content, rather than compare and contrast with something that has buggerall to do with it.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sort of post is getting right on my nips.
    'Better than X factor, better than chav, reality tv, etc, etc'
    WTF does X factor or whatever had to do with it?
    Nothing and F'all, that's what.

How about discussing the actual content, rather than compare and contrast with something that has buggerall to do with it.

Calm down, the reason people are saying it's better than the X Factor is because it ran alongside it and it's probably what the majority of British audiences are watching right now.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed that - a good example of counter-programming which the BBC could take a leaf out of (re Ripper Street demise), although a somewhat "authorised" biography it didn't ignore the breakup of his first marriage and the stress on his wife.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Indeed! Even Stephen could sing better than half the people on that show.

He's a true British icon, I can't believe he's 71.
    They all use auto tune as well
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    It was interesting that they spoke openly about the stresses and strains caused by the various interactions between everybody, and that his first wife (Jane) agreed to take part - for a long time she didn't want to be interviewed or contribute to programmes about Hawking. I am glad that he emerged from his second marriage OK.

This afternoon I re-watched the "Hawking" film from 2004 starring Benedict Cumberbatch, to remind myself of the early period. Fred Hoyle was a nincompoop.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    It was interesting that they spoke openly about the stresses and strains caused by the various interactions between everybody, and that his first wife (Jane) agreed to take part - for a long time she didn't want to be interviewed or contribute to programmes about Hawking. I am glad that he emerged from his second marriage OK.

This afternoon I re-watched the "Hawking" film from 2004 starring Benedict Cumberbatch, to remind myself of the early period. Fred Hoyle was a nincompoop.

It's a bit unfair on Hoyle who was a respected scientist in his day even if he did have some crazy notions.In that respect he was by no means unique!
  • Hilda's MurialHilda's Murial Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    One thing I never could work out, and it didn't really explain it in any detail in this programme either, was how long it took for Stephen to create a voice response. I understand the method by which it's created, but not how long it takes. We saw a little bit about the fact that he gets frustrated with errors, which is totally understandable.

Fantastic person who might, just like you and I, have had a varied and turbulent private life, but who must still at 71 remain an icon for so many cosmologists and other scientists.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I never could work out, and it didn't really explain it in any detail in this programme either, was how long it took for Stephen to create a voice response. I understand the method by which it's created, but not how long it takes. We saw a little bit about the fact that he gets frustrated with errors, which is totally understandable.

Fantastic person who might, just like you and I, have had a varied and turbulent private life, but who must still at 71 remain an icon for so many cosmologists and other scientists.

I quite liked the idea that at the same rate as Hawking's body is failing him, technology is improving to compensate. Once all his face muscles go i'm sure that they will invent a brain wave detector to allow him to continue (I think the technology already exists). Then eventually . . . Robo-Hawking!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member

Yes indeed, I've wondered that for many years and this programme was yet another that avoided the issue. I've no idea why.

But it was an interesting any enjoyable programme. I'm glad that his first wife agreed to take part, and that she is now in contact with him again from time to time. She had a lot to put up with and it must have been difficult for her to endure for as long as she did.

What an amazing mind he has, though... and to have survived so long, wow. Just wow.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

I think when he's speaking in public a large part of what he is saying is pre-formatted. From a programme I saw a few years back, real time responses work out at no more than a word a minute, IIRC - although his 'interface' may have improved since then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    He is perhaps the most extraordinary global media person ever. In this country probably since the Prince Regent.