EastEnders: What is Linda's problem?

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
In last night's episode of EastEnders, Linda was trying to force Johnny to turn straight and go with whitney.

This is setting a bad example in real life >:(

At first when we found out that Johnny would be gay, I thought Mick would have a problem with it but thank god he is not :D

And then it turned out Linda is the problem with Johnny been gay >:(

Comments

• Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it is a bit stupid but EastEnders do need to show some people having a problem with same sex love because sadly this does still happen in the real world and so to make the storyline realistic....remember how much trauma poor Syed had to go through before his parents finally accepted him though Tamwar accepted him straight away. Of course in Syed's case because he was a Muslim, this created complications (though in an ideal world it shouldn't as believing in God has nothing to do with who you fall in love with) whereas Linda is just a bitch who has no excuse unlike Syed's family.
  • soapfan2005soapfan2005 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people still find the idea of having a homosexual as a member of their immediate family difficult to accept. I think EastEnders are doing a good job of exploring different ways in which people do react, and they are bucking the trend because more often than not, it's the mothers who are seen to be welcoming and comforting and the fathers that have the issue, it's nice to see it play out differently.

Wonder if they'll explore trying to get Johnny to go to reparative therapy???
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda is a bitter woman losing her looks and jealous that her kids are hot, sexy, beautiful and of age to have sex with as many men as they like :D
  • Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    Linda is a bitter woman losing her looks and jealous that her kids are hot, sexy, beautiful and of age to have sex with as many men as they like :D

Bright may be ageing a tad, but she's still relatively young and Linda looks cracking on most days, if you ask me. How many gay people do you know whose parents were honestly completely fine from the start? Frustratingly heartless and ignorant, yes, but she's doing what many would do. She'll come around eventually. 'It was wrong for me to think I can change who you are... go for men if you prefer them' etc, etc.
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If soaps just produced an idealised view of contemporary issues, there would be no drama and it would be unrealistic. Nowadays, probably the majority of young people coming out still receive a negative reaction from some member of their immediate family.

What I find refreshing is how supportive a traditionally male dad like Mick is being.I think the journey of Linda ultimately accepting her son will be lovely to watch.Linda is shown as being a very caring mother and people shouldn't write off the character because of one storyline thats just started.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    ameew wrote: »
    If soaps just produced an idealised view of contemporary issues, there would be no drama and it would be unrealistic. Nowadays, probably the majority of young people coming out still receive a negative reaction from some member of their immediate family.

What I find refreshing is how supportive a traditionally male dad like Mick is being.I think the journey of Linda ultimately accepting her son will be lovely to watch.Linda is shown as being a very caring mother and people shouldn't write off the character because of one storyline thats just started.

But it's not just her attitude to homosexuality that bothers me, it's also her attitude to Nancy. she doesn't accept her as she is, and wants her to live up to her expectations, be more like her. She is very narrow minded.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe Linda is homophobic at all, I think Linda is just so worried that Johnny will have a hard time, her line this week about knowing what men were like was quite telling, she is scared as she knows that Johnny is quite sensitive and can be easily led and fundamentally doesn't want Johnny to be hurt by a man. I think it is a great story and the actors are all doing a great job with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I don't believe Linda is homophobic at all

In other news, the world is really flat.
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people still find the idea of having a homosexual as a member of their immediate family difficult to accept. I think EastEnders are doing a good job of exploring different ways in which people do react, and they are bucking the trend because more often than not, it's the mothers who are seen to be welcoming and comforting and the fathers that have the issue, it's nice to see it play out differently.

Wonder if they'll explore trying to get Johnny to go to reparative therapy???

That would be an intriguing story certainly, but obviously Mick wouldn't think that was acceptable so it'd be some serious coercion from Linda to get him to do such a thing. I think the furthest the character would go, given that he has a gay auntie and accepting family bar his mum, is temporarily date a girl to make her happy, whilst dying inside!
  • Bart_MitchellBart_Mitchell Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Her biggest problem is the ugly rollers every day in her hair.
    Makes her thinking not straight ;-)(as a matter of speaking)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I can see that Linda may just be the "demise" of the Carter clan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Linda wants grandchildren later on in life!

Wouldn't have high hopes for the daughter though, trying to work out if she is really a female or a guy with the dress sense and the voice.
  • alakazzamalakazzam Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Ironic that she can't accept that her Sausage likes the sausage.

I think they portray it well though, many mothers may feel and react this way. We all know in the end eventually she will accept it,
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other news, the world is really flat.

What's homophobic about her?
  • SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can people brand Linda as homophobic? As a mother isn't it understandable that she's upset that her son who she's treasured all his life isn't exactly who she thought he was. I do think she's being quite cold and nasty to him especially last night but that's just the way her character is and I think EE are doing a great job at making it realistic because not everyone will be immediately accepting off someone who comes out and sometimes it's the ones who you wouldn't think would react badly, who do.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the hate Linda is getting. I don't think it is fair to label her homophobic she is just protective of her baby. She thinks that being gay will make life more difficult for him.
    Despite the fact that society is more accepting now there will always be prejudice. I guess she also thinks that he may not find a long term partner and due to his youth and good looks might get exploited by the wrong sort of men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonicmfc wrote: »
    How can people brand Linda as homophobic?

Let me put it to you this way - a mother who says there's nothing perverse about her stolen nude image being leered at by drunks because "it's natural" and then tries to level the source of corruption at her son because of his sexual inclination.... is hardly sailing down Bridge Street on the gay pride float.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me put it to you this way - a mother who says there's nothing perverse about her stolen nude image being leered at by drunks because "it's natural" and then tries to level the source of corruption at her son because of his sexual inclination.... is hardly sailing down Bridge Street on the gay pride float.

So because she's not an avid supporter or a gay rights activist she's a homophobe?

Love the logic.
  • SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL are you serious? So because she's not jumping with joy she's homophobic? :confused:
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whether i approve of her actions, i sort of understand where linda is coming from... plus i have a feeling it would be best drama when she finally accepts her son's sexuality...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    So because she's not an avid supporter or a gay rights activist she's a homophobe?

Love the logic.

Of course she is homophobic and ready to humiliate her own son in the face of ingrates wanking over her image if need be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course she is homophobic and ready to humiliate her own son in the face of ingrates wanking over her image if need be.

Of course she is. I suppose I am too, given the fact I'm not waving any flags.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    She is being so cruel to him. It's uncomfortable to watch :( But then I think it's a very good storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    ameew wrote: »

Very good post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scarlettj wrote: »
    She is being so cruel to him. It's uncomfortable to watch :( But then I think it's a very good storyline.

It's abuse and it is indefensible. It's not about love, it's about possession.