Getting driving again after a ban

Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My husband's ban ended 4 weeks ago but the DVLA is taking it's sweet time officially reinstating his licence. He rang up to see what was happening and was told he can drive while he's waiting as long as his dr says he's fit to drive.

It's just verbal instruction tho so he doesn't want to act on it then find out the hard way it wasn't accurate advice. Does anyone know if this is legally ok?

Comments

• Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fanny. So from that it looks like he can't drive until he gets his licence back as the ban was longer than 56 days he has to wait, if I've understood correctly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    Thanks Fanny. So from that it looks like he can't drive until he gets his licence back as the ban was longer than 56 days he has to wait, if I've understood correctly.

There were some links at the bottom of the page, I did not check them. I would err on the side of caution as I have found in the past that you can phone somewhere like the DVLA six times in an hour and get six different advisors who will tell you six different things. I did have a look online, but most sites seemed to concentrate on drink driving. Maybe you could look for a driving ban forum, or contact you local police or the CAB?
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband's ban ended 4 weeks ago but the DVLA is taking it's sweet time officially reinstating his licence. He rang up to see what was happening and was told he can drive while he's waiting as long as his dr says he's fit to drive.

It's just verbal instruction tho so he doesn't want to act on it then find out the hard way it wasn't accurate advice. Does anyone know if this is legally ok?

They only want safe drivers on the road. Stop making out its their fault >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, i know they do but it's a combination of their fault and the gp's fault. He should have his licence back by now, his ban is served and he's medically fit to drive. It's a problem of communication and paperwork.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your advice, I think he's just going to wait until he has the licence in his hand to be safe.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he reapplied? From the DVLA link upthread...

How do I get my licence back after a ban?

<snip>

If the disqualification is for more than 56 days, your licence will automatically be revoked. As a result, you have to formally apply for a new licence, which requires making an application and paying a fee. If you fail to make a formal application, the licence will still be invalid, regardless of the fact that the disqualification has been served.

However, if he had his licence revoked due to medical reasons, perhaps the requirements are different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he has. He was supposed to get his licence back within 6 weeks but it's been about 9 now and still haven't heard anything.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was he banned for?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was he banned for?
    Not sure if the OP has told us correctly. :confused:

She mentions GP and fitness to drive which suggests to me her husband had his licence revoked due to medical reasons which is not a ban. The two are entirely different.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was he banned for?

Considering the OP's husband is an alcoholic and a drug user, I'm guessing the ban may be for either of those reasons...
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once the disqualification term has expired [ and there is not requirement to re-sit the test ] you can resume driving.

Your Licence was only suspended for the length of the ban, it wasn't cancelled.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

during my time working for the courts i used to get plenty of enquiries about those who had been banned and about when they can start driving again. Many didn't realise you had to reapply so the blanket advice i used give which was endorsed by the Magistrates Association, was 'do not get behind the wheel until you are holding your valid license in your hand'