Options

Why no smokers in Hollyoaks?

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
I know it's a dirty, expensive habit etc, but why does Hollyoaks not have a single smoker in the cast? I'm not encouraging smoking, just curious.

EastEnders has Dot Cotton and Coronation Street has Deirdre Barlow, Liz McDonald etc. I don't know if Emmerdale has any because I've never watched it in years.

Comments

• Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale has Kerry.

sure iv seen nancy smoking in hollyoaks. but maybe as its aimed at the younger market its best not to promote smoking
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Isn't against the law to smoke in a person's workplace? A set is a workplace. Although i've heard there can be exemptions for art - or that you can pay a fine.

More likely its because its got a young audience and they wouldn't want to encourage it.
  • Options
    paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I read a few years ago that they felt characters smoking was an unsuitable image for their targeted audience. Obviously this may not have been said and I've remembered something totally different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Dare I say it and in regard to hollyoaks at mo completly off the wall but its not politically correct! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Well I think that it's a good thing that they don't promote smoking
  • Options
    lolla_7lolla_7 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    All the characters,, that I know of, smoking in other soaps are from a different generation. Where the health impacts, social dislike of it were different. It wouldn't fit having young characters smoking.
  • Options
    BBTObsessedBBTObsessed Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    People may dislike Hollyoaks, but fair play to them for this.
  • Options
    Andrew_NeilAndrew_Neil Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks and its residents are glamorous, and smoking is not.
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't against the law to smoke in a person's workplace? A set is a workplace. Although i've heard there can be exemptions for art - or that you can pay a fine.

More likely its because its got a young audience and they wouldn't want to encourage it.

From what I've read (for example) June Brown wouldn't be able to smoke whilst rehearsing an interior set scene BUT during filming she'd be allowed to.

Personally, I smoke HOWEVER kudos to Hollyoaks not featuring a smoker...
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swear I've seen Ste smoking before? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the actor idek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive own goal here by HO, smoking is extremely cool.
    Only a fool would think otherwise.

What sort of idiots would aim a programme at teens and not include smoking in it??
    It’s almost as if they want it to fail isn’t it.

I bet they’re the only teens in the whole world that don’t say “f*ck” as well.

Really wish my kids could grow up in idyllic Chester.
    That’d take care of all the parenting worries for me, and leave me free to go to Bingo and attend the daily ‘Happy Hour’ down the Dog & Biscuit every day.
  • Options
    DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Really wish my kids could grow up in idyllic Chester.
    That’d take care of all the parenting worries for me, and leave me free to go to Bingo and attend the daily ‘Happy Hour’ down the Dog & Biscuit every day.

:D

Just a shame really that if they did, they'd get involved in gangster crime, drugs, murder, incest, secret pregnancies, kidnap and owning a mobile phone that you just happen to leave somewhere that any old nutters can pick up. All in one tea time friendly week.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks, like Brookside, rarely (if ever) features smoking unless it's a storyline to show the dangers. Phil Redmond is very anti-smoking, and one of the final episodes of Brookside was dedicated to Jimmy Corkhill ranting about smokers and the risk of passive smoking after he had a lung cancer scare.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks, like Brookside, rarely (if ever) features smoking unless it's a storyline to show the dangers. Phil Redmond is very anti-smoking, and one of the final episodes of Brookside was dedicated to Jimmy Corkhill ranting about smokers and the risk of passive smoking after he had a lung cancer scare.

Aswell as ranting on about the developers in the last couple of episodes. :D

I never really noticed that Hollyoaksters don't smoke, I guess it's only one of those things that spring to mind if you think about it.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    They brought in TV rules that you couldn't portray smoking on TV unless it was established as being part of the character.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So smoking is an absolute no-no but they'll feature drink abuse, drug abuse, rapes, murders, gangsters, prostitutes, pimps, assaults, muggings etc etc?
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from what we can see they don't even have a cigarette dispenser behind the counter in price slice, maybe they just dont exist in Hollyoaks? :D
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I know it's a dirty, expensive habit etc, but why does Hollyoaks not have a single smoker in the cast? I'm not encouraging smoking, just curious.

EastEnders has Dot Cotton and Coronation Street has Deirdre Barlow, Liz McDonald etc. I don't know if Emmerdale has any because I've never watched it in years.
    Because smoking is vile and should be illegal
    I hate how it's the 'norm' for people to smoke

I think I'm the only person from my group of friends that still hasn't smoked one cigarette in my life
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    So smoking is an absolute no-no but they'll feature drink abuse, drug abuse, rapes, murders, gangsters, prostitutes, pimps, assaults, muggings etc etc?

Yes, but these things aren't portrayed as being casual or normal- though from their frequency, they practically are normal.

It's not that they would never have smoking but it would have to be addressed in a storyline. For example, no character takes recreational drugs without some sort of outcome.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably incase they forget to extinguish the cigarette properly and it strikes against Freddie causing an inferno.

Actually, that's probably the plot for the annual 'storm in a teacup' stunt ruined
  • Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,489
    Forum Member

Lmfao I completely agree with this!!!! By their logic they'll have at least 1, maybe 2 murders per month then try to make you sympathise with the murderer in order to keep them in the show!

But woe betide showing said murderer or anyone else smoking, because that WOULD be a terrible example wouldnt it:o?!?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw Sam with a packet of cigarettes after she found out about Danny's affair.

Cheryl and Lynsey smoked in Hollyoaks Later, and Kris was revealed as an ex-smoker.
  • Options
    laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nana McQueen mentioned a packet of cigarettes, which I think the person who raped her had. last week when she was talking about her rape ordeal.
  • Options
    laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'm sure when Kathleen McQueen first arrived back in 2009 she was smoking a cigarette, unless that's just my imagination.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    lolla_7 wrote: »
    All the characters,, that I know of, smoking in other soaps are from a different generation. Where the health impacts, social dislike of it were different. It wouldn't fit having young characters smoking.

If you walk down the street you will find that there are many young people smoking so I don't see how it wouldn't fit.

I don't smoke.