UK Debt is bigger than we thought

jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11117335/Just-how-big-is-Britains-debt-mountain.html

According to these figures published by the ONS. We are borrowing more than last year on the back of weak tax revenues on a basis of a jobs rich but tax poor recovery.

Remind me how is this lot any better than the incompetent Labour lot we chucked out almost five years ago?

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour failed, Conservatives failed.

The problem really is this right-wing economic theory they both keep following like some kind of religion.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Labour failed, Conservatives failed.

The problem really is this right-wing economic theory they both keep following like some kind of religion.

Absolutely. If we lurched to the left, spend 3 times as much, we'd be in a far better position for sure.

<rolleyes>
  • Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Absolutely. If we lurched to the left, spend 3 times as much, we'd be in a far better position for sure.

<rolleyes>

Yes ! And we all know that every left wing government has always left the economy in a much better shape than they found it !!!!!:confused:
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever thought Osbourne is borrowing when rates are lower.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

<rolleyes>

It isnt a left or right thing. The political class as a whole are too tied into the corporate structure, and decisions are made to benefit them and the march to globalism than what we as a country need. High employment is of no benefit if most of the new jobs ensure people remain net drains on the economy through benefits due to low wages and high living costs.

We need more contributors, not just 'more jobs'. No party of any colour will do that for us I don't think.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11117335/Just-how-big-is-Britains-debt-mountain.html

According to these figures published by the ONS. We are borrowing more than last year on the back of weak tax revenues on a basis of a jobs rich but tax poor recovery.

Remind me how is this lot any better than the incompetent Labour lot we chucked out almost five years ago?

Borrowing is up by £2.7bn over last year - a figure which could easily be turned around by the end of the financial year or vanish as a revision in subsequent updates. A couple of years ago we were in the same situation and, predictably, had the same complaints here on DS - and it was turned around.

This lot are better because at least during their term of office they will have brought the deficit down significantly, albeit not to their targets. Bu contrast, Labour will only be adding to the deficit.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Borrowing is up by £2.7bn over last year - a figure which could easily be turned around by the end of the financial year or vanish as a revision in subsequent updates. A couple of years ago we were in the same situation and, predictably, had the same complaints here on DS - and it was turned around.

This lot are better because at least during their term of office they will have brought the deficit down significantly, albeit not to their targets. Bu contrast, Labour will only be adding to the deficit.

Just reporting what the ONS and Telegraph is telling us.

Rather than speculating what Labour might do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have gone to Tesco.
    Their financial statement advice service is 25% off, and make your figures look so much better.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Tax income is based on PROFITS. If a business faces extra costs such as red tape and minimum wage, then its profits are going to suffer and so will the tax income.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

<rolleyes>

Nonsensical to imply that my criticism of an extreme belief means I have my own extreme belief as well.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the "long term economic plan" has to be amended to the "even longer term economic plan" or the "very long term economic plan"...simples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Tax income is based on PROFITS. If a business faces extra costs such as red tape and minimum wage, then its profits are going to suffer and so will the tax income.

So the Tories have created a lot more 'red tape' and upped the minimum wage substantially?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

or hidden, or disguised...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    or hidden, or disguised...

Oh, my mistake, they did that already.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has changed the way it measures our public finances, throwing fresh light on the precise state of the nation's coffers.

The latest revisions help bring the UK in line with European accounting standards, but they don't make great reading for the Chancellor.

According to the figures, Britain's debt mountain is £127 billion bigger that we first thought.

But that's ok, it will vanish by the year end...
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read the article. What interested me was income tax receipts. New jobs are being created, but they are lower paid. So more people are getting back into work, but their jobs are generating higher income tax receipts for the government.

This year, the OBR forecast a rise in income tax receipts of 6.5 pc. But income tax receipts have actually fallen by 0.8 pc.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Just read the article. What interested me was income tax receipts. New jobs are being created, but they are lower paid. So more people are getting back into work, but their jobs are generating higher income tax receipts for the government.

This year, the OBR forecast a rise in income tax receipts of 6.5 pc. But income tax receipts have actually fallen by 0.8 pc.

don't you mean lower?

when an employer has a larger pool of potential employees to choose from, then salaries will fall, and therefore tax receipts fall. what could the solution(s) be?;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because..
    In the early part of 2013/14 it is likely that income tax payments were affected by some firms delaying employee bonuses (from the end of 2012/13 until 2013/14) to take advantage of tax rate changes.

Income tax payments for August itself were up by 2.4%.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't you mean lower?

when an employer has a larger pool of potential employees to choose from, then salaries will fall, and therefore tax receipts fall. what could the solution(s) be?;-)

Solutions (all painful)

Raise the age at which the state pension is paid to 70 by 2025. For each year, the age of payment is raised, the government saves £13 billion

Increase VAT to 22%

Capital gains tax to apply to the sale of everyone's home. There will be an allowance to shelter gains from inflation

NHS charges for overnight stays or GP visits. Means tested exemptions.

Remove the upper earnings limit on National Insurance contributions (currently £41,865)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solutions (all painful)

Raise the age at which the state pension is paid to 70 by 2025. For each year, the age of payment is raised, the government saves £13 billion

Increase VAT to 22%

Capital gains tax to apply to the sale of everyone's home. There will be an allowance to shelter gains from inflation

NHS charges for overnight stays or GP visits. Means tested exemptions.

Remove the upper earnings limit on National Insurance contributions (currently £41,865)

Alternatively, do much more to grow the top line - more help for new businesses, attract more business to the UK, help existing businesses solve the issues that prevent them from growing faster, prioritise capital budgets to projects that enhance revenue etc.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Nonsensical to imply that my criticism of an extreme belief means I have my own extreme belief as well.

Please accept my apologies. I mistook you for one of our left wing diehards. You're usually quite reasoned.

My mistake! :blush:
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the "long term economic plan" has to be amended to the "even longer term economic plan" or the "very long term economic plan"...simples.

Well mismanagement by successive governments - particularly the last one - has led to this diabolical mess.

It is going to take decades of careful budgeting to put it right.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like i've been saying ..... you change the dummies in the shop window and what do you get?
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

<rolleyes>

Yeah the implication of what your saying is right-Capitalism can never deliver the good life for all hardworking people regardless of whether its under Labour,New Labour,Torys ,coalition the inherent limits of capitalism mean the good life can never be for all no matter how hard they work.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave the EU, stop benefits unless you were born in the UK to UK citizens, stop overseas aid to countries who have space programs, stop child benefit and child related benefits for more than 2 children.

That would be a start!
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Make the Queen liable for all the nation's debts and call in the debt collectors. That'll stop her purring.