SCD Week 1 Discussion Thread (Friday 9pm/Saturday 7pm)

Comments

• Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    You keep your negative thoughts of "that man with Natalie" - Tim Wonnacott!!!! He's my favourite. Get rid of all the others and leave the gent with a romantic reason for wanting to learn to dance alone.

I am delighted for Tim that he has such a loyal fan!!!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My feelings about Saturday show:

Mark - too gimmicky, but has potential

Alison - the flat shoes didn't help, and far too 'disco'

Steve - best so far

Jennife - the 'luck of the Irish' clearly ran out

Thom - nice routine, but flat footed especially on run arounds, and very poor posture

Sunetra - really liked this, badly undermarked

Greg - appalling ................. but please can I have Aliona's dress ?:D

Frankie - best of series so far

Simon - on par with Frankie

Claudia - looked more herself; though I liked her swept back fringe on Friday

Darcey - looked bored, sounded boring & seems obsessed with shoulders

Biggest moan
    When Wardrobe dress celebs in tail suits, WHY WHY WHY do they make them look ridiculous bt giving them a conventional tie and tucking it into the cummerbund? Keep the tie & ditch the cummerbund, or if they keep it then team it with a bow tie.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Well it is showbiz! Could not believe Natalie when she was absolutely THRILLED by her partner who looks old enough to be her grand-dad and walked through his dance routine. At least Alliona is honest when she reacted with disappointment when she was partnered with Gregg whom I dislike but I do not know why, something off about him!!
    He is old enough to be her grand-dad - he's 61. He wants to learn to dance so he can dance with his wife on their 30th wedding anniversary - what better reason is there than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is old enough to be her grand-dad - he's 61. He wants to learn to dance so he can dance with his wife on their 30th wedding anniversary - what better reason is there than that.

If that was honestly his reason there are plenty of dance schools that would teach him far more usefully. All he will learn on Strictly is routines based on the dances which are not something he will be able to use elsewhere.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You keep your negative thoughts of "that man with Natalie" - Tim Wonnacott!!!! He's my favourite. Get rid of all the others and leave the gent with a romantic reason for wanting to learn to dance alone.

I'm sorry, I don't know him as I don't watch his show and his name escaped me this morning.

He seems a very nice man, but a dancer he will never be and that's all I said. In a show where you go on it to dance and be judged by the dancing, that's all I did, judge his dancing. That is no reflection of him as a person.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    How did Gregg get so many points that was absolutely terrible - but I will say he lived down to my expectations.

Greg was comedy gold. One of the strangest dances I have seen in a long time.
    I was away from the computer last night, but everyone did about as well as I thought.

Hope it doesn't disintegrate into predictability.
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for Greg - he looked so nervous! Yes, his dancing was appalling, but good on him for giving it a go.

On a positive note, Frankie, Simon, Caroline and Steve were all fab, and Sunetra might be a grower.

Edit: spelled Frankie as Franke, oops!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually really bored of both SCD and X Factor now.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish! Bruce was cringe worthy at best. Tess is ok, Claudia is hilarious and very natural with the dancers. Claudia entertains me, we'd been FF through Bruce for years.

I'm glad I'm not the only one - never did like Brucie - sorry but there you have it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Tess was better at the scripted auto-cue stuff but she was found lacking at the interaction with the judges post dance. It was so stilted and her OTT guffawing has the potential to be irritating. Claudia is better in the 'old' Tess pit as she is far more instinctive in her presenting. May be too off the wall for some but it is just what is needed in my view.

So personally I think the best option would have been a male presenter replacing Brucie and Claudia replacing Tess. Tess struck flippin lucky with this gig as Strictly was never seen by BBC as the mega show it has become.

Interesting what has happened as I was on a P&O cruise in May 2013 and the producer told us that Brucie would definitely be replaced by a male when he decided to step down. He even threw names to the audience to get a reaction. No doubt good old BBC diversity ruling from the top got us Tess and Claudia as presenters rather than ability!!

I'm distinctively meh with Tess but I think she's ok and I think it's more a case of playing safe than pandering to any PC considerations - people know Tess they know she's done the Brucie role before and been ok in it. Most of the mooted replacements for Brucie have been meet with as much derision as with praise - going with a complete or relative unknown or a distinctively marmite personality like Graham Norton or John Barrownman would have been a gamble that might not have paid off. I personally would have have Tess than her awful husband who makes me want to throw things at the telly.
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Here I lie hungover after a mate's wedding and a hideous encounter with the M1 - well caught up with everything .

Gregg made Julian Clarey look manly!!!!
    I actually saw dancing very similar at this wedding.
    I think tht put me off drink now for life!!!

How I chortled at the Blue boys in the third row and the Saturdays at the front!!!!

There were some ... Interesting "interpretations" of the songs *cough* Someone Like You/You Raise Me up*

Frankie head flick - epic!

Read back some of the comments last night to try and stop the room spinning and y'all were so funny - whoever said that Simon looked like he was shaking dog poo off his shoes made me forget that last foolish whiskey!!! And the comment about the raptor hair!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what diversity has got to do with it, the girls were already a part of the show and presented on the "Sunday" show. Maybe they felt they had a workable pairing and decided not to rock the boat. I'm sure they probably looked at replacements. I'm just glad Vernon Kay didn't appear.

You sir are a man after my own heart ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »
    I'm not homophobic. I take it you're gay and are doing the now usual screaming of "homophobe" at any straight person who even remotely objects to having homosexuality forced on them, especially in a pre-watershed entertainment show.

I lost count of the number of times Scott Mills' boyfriend was mentioned last night. Yes, he's camp as Christmas. It's blindingly obvious to everyone. I don't think we all need to be told multiple times. If we're all equal, what does his sexuality matter on a dancing show? Why does the BBC feel we all need to be told that he's gay?

Why does mentioning someone's boyfriend count as shoving their sexuality in our faces? In the immortal words of Stonewall "some people are gay - deal with it" or you could refuse to watch any program at even mentions a homosexual partnership - your choice really.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    Frankies dance was boring and easy. Like that footballers wife who won last year, they are hyping her up. At least most of the others tried something more challenging

That's exactly what I thought. Hardly anything to it, though she is beautiful and made some pretty poses. I also thought Thom was pretty much rubbish. He feet looked frenetic and just wrong - and his posture was laughably stiff. That's what I hate about this show - the fake propping ;(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aljaz really enjoyed that, you can tell - he's embracing the fun of it now!

I agree and I'm really liking Ali and Ali - I re-watched the launch show because my daughter hadn't seen it before yesterday and you can tell they were getting pretty well at the rehersals they showed for the celebs first dance - I think they were paired as much on that basis as on height and not giving the reigning champ a ringer. He seems a lot more relaxed with her than he was with Abbie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scout2006 wrote: »
    I think Alison's hideous and I adore Claudia so you're right, we are all different :)

I like both of them - you can both shoot me if you like ;-) it's strange apart from Greg I like everyone this year that said it took time for some people to annoy me last year and I'm not sure I wasn't a bit mean about some of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sueh21 wrote: »
    I see Brucies joke writers didn't retire at the same time as him.

At least Tess accepts that they are rubbish and doesn't try to justify or explain them though - I so do not miss that from Brucie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I thought that was a bit of a cop out. Iveta didn't get him to do much. And he looked uncomfortable. Really disappointed.

Ironically Mark Benton was better :-) I want them to be good for Iveta's sake if nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymix53 wrote: »
    I don't like them too good at the start, it's better to see the ones that progress through the series and just get better week by week.

I think it takes all sorts - it's nice to have people who are good from the outset but also some journeypeople - I have a soft spot for non-obvious good dancers - I think I might become a Jake woman this year which was not something I would have expected from the start - I've got a feeling I might be rooting for Suneta too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly haven't thought that once tonight or last night.

Me neither not missed the whittering, the cliches, the argueing with the judges, the desperately milking the lame jokes or any of it - it all much more relaxed without everyone having to pander to his ego.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wouldn't be difficult. The men are pretty poor dancers this year.

They have been worse - Mark's ok, Steve's ok, Thom's ok and has I think potential - admittedly there are a lot of terrible men cha chas but I think some of them might be better in the ballroom - might.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very unlikely the poor dancers will improve significantly as the weeks go by.

In just the same way it's very unlikely the poor presenters will improve significantly as the weeks go by.

What you are is what you are.

Tess and Claudia are about 85% there (so not dreadful) but I was left feeling something was lacking. I doubt they will be able to sort that- because their style of presentation is their style of presentation.

What interests me about this year is there are a few people like Mark, Steve, Thom, Sunetra who I think could go either way - I wouldn't even totally write off Jennifer until
    she's done something that's the jive which is never to a friend to a middle aged lady apart from Susannah. There are also some no obvious people like Caroline and Jake who might prove to be good. Most of the people who are bad seemed to either endearing or enjoying themselves.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where this should go - or if anybody else is even interested - but I watched the pro dance a few times, trying to figure out the pro pairings (if they have "regular" pairings and I think they do, despite them switching up a bit - well they have to with an extra female.) I think it's

Aliona/Brendan
    Aljaz/Joanne
    Anton/Iveta
    Karen/Kevin
    Kristina/Tristan (confirmed via Twitter - Robin sent his well wishes)
    Natalie/Trent (biggest surprise to me but I do think babyface Trent might be the tallest male pro)
    and Ola/Pasha (James commented they looked sexy together)

I guess Janette is a free agent - I think I saw her with Kevin for a minute (or maybe it was Pasha.) Kevin did also dance with Joanne a bit (as per her Twitter) and I think Kristina was with Anton or Brendan when Tristan was playing drums (along with Aljaz), and Anton lifted Natalie up at one point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »

Natalie/Trent (biggest surprise to me but I do think babyface Trent might be the tallest male pro)

Putting the two Aussies together was no great surprise! Trent is 6', the same as Brendan.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,548
    Forum Member
    I like it that at long last the singers are much more viewable in the background and I spent a lot of time watching the singers and rewinding bits to see the dancing but on a lot of the dancing I couldn't be bothered to rewind as I got the general gist of how the dance went.

I hope they stick to keeping the singers in viewing shots.

Claudia looks so different these days and I'm not sure if its just her hair or not. She used to look really good when she had long brunette hair with a fringe, I think she should go back to that hair do btw but she looks different in general.

Yet again, I think the judges are overscroring major BBC stars and they have to stop doing that.

I didn't like all the pre dance gimmicks, its time to stop that too.