Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have posted this before but in another thread but anyway it deserves a second airing. My son who is partially sighted and attended a mainstream junior school with a V.I unit (he now attends a senior school with a V.I. Unit as in visually impaired) was invited along with his teachers and other visually impaired classmates to a free matinee to a West End production.On arrival they were met by a guy who gave them a tour of the set and then took them into a room where armed with a guitar he got the kids and their teachers to shout out the names of family and particularly their pets and then made up funny songs with the names included and funny jokes. He then went on to perform in the show in one of the lead roles. When I collected my son he was raving about this guy and I was asking about the show but he was more excited about his experiences beforehand although he loved the show too. He didnt have a clue who the man was but I found out through his teachers (and more than a couple fell in love with him that day) that it was Phil Jupitus
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,765
    Forum Member
    Ive met Stefan Dennis - Paul Robinson in Neighbours, he is lovely.

Wow, I'm soooooo jealous.

I'm pchuffed to hear he was lovely.

I adore Stefan.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    A musician friend was involved in Lulu's tour a few years ago and reported that she was an absolute cow to everyone backstage. Dunno how she is with the public though

I was very disillusioned by her autobiography. She obviously was not aware of the awful way she came across. Ghastly. Totally self involved, only interested in her career, no wonder she has been married twice!! Always keeps banging on about her marriage to Maurice as he is so famous. Obviously, Brendan disliked her as he keeps going on about how marvelous Victoria is and how he enoys coming to work each day. Would love to read a book about how the pro dancers REALLY feel about their celeb partners!!!!

Regarding meeting celebs. I think Dawn French (I am on my day off!) is understandable. When I see a celeb I do not approach them. I usually smile and move on. I would not approach anyone who was eating etc. Perhaps some of these celebs have a reason to be so rude. I know people who have met Dawn and they all say she was delightful unlike Jennifer who appeared cold and resentful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've met Rolf Harris and he is an awful person face to face.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    So glad Richard Hammon is as nice as he appears to be on the telly. Really like him. Gosh Cilla sounds ghastly. I remember her on Paul O'Grady and she kept on and on about her properties in Portugal, her success, her homes in Mexico, Barbados etc. Really embarrassing awful to listen to. I have read so many reports of her snobby behaviour I guess it has to be true!

John Barrowman surprised me. What exactly is the story here? When he first appeared on the scene I liked him but lately he seems to go on and on about being gay, often behaves in a ridiculously camp way during interviews (e.g. The One Show) makes inappropriate jokes etc. His behaviour is bizarre at times. Can't say what he is famous for but it has been mentioned on Loose Women!! He likes to wave a part of his body!! Oh dear.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh Cilla sounds ghastly. I remember her on Paul O'Grady and she kept on and on about her properties in Portugal, her success, her homes in Mexico, Barbados etc. Really embarrassing awful to listen to. I have read so many reports of her snobby behaviour I guess it has to be true!

LOL...i've not seen a single flattering anecdote about her anywhere lol
  • smeg_headsmeg_head Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D I worked with Timmy Mallet a few years back. I'd been warned he was an arrogant prick but happy to say he was a top guy. All the time in the world for you and everyone he came into contact with.

:mad: Keith Harris (& Orville) was an ignorant c*ck.

:D Emma Willis is lovely.

:D All of the Red Dwarf guys are a top bunch, although Barrie sometimes can seem a bit distant - but not in a deliberate way.

:D Richard Whitely was a top guy.

:D Richard Bacon - had all the time in the world.Very down to earth.

:D Lisa Rogers - lovely, lovely, lovely.

:D Amanda Byram - couldn't be less interested in you if she tried.

:D Wiley is cool

:D Johnny Vegas was nice but utterly p*ssed out of his face
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Bob_Goyle wrote: »

:eek:
    Really? Rolf is a legend, I always thought he was a nice guy :(
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lolacola wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver was pretty rude when my friend met him. Although that might have been down to the fact my friend gave him a picture of Gino Dacampo to sign.

This made me LOL :D

I'd be disappointed if Jamie was rude in real life, I know he's a bit annoying but he seems like such a smiley, happy guy.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann Widdecombe and Su Pollard are lovely.

Aled Jones is funny and cute.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Soul

Met him twice and each time he was a miserable b*.

Though to be fair he always did have that reputation
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barrowman surprised me. What exactly is the story here? When he first appeared on the scene I liked him but lately he seems to go on and on about being gay, often behaves in a ridiculously camp way during interviews (e.g. The One Show) makes inappropriate jokes etc. His behaviour is bizarre at times. Can't say what he is famous for but it has been mentioned on Loose Women!! He likes to wave a part of his body!! Oh dear.

LOL

But having met him several times he is a nice guy, lots of time for his fans.

He's currently filming a recurring role on the new US network show 'Arrow'
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister suffered from a collapsed lung when she was 19, and my uncle played cricket with Paul Scholes. Paul got her a signed get well card from the whole United team at the time - Beckham and Giggs I think.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alimi wrote: »
    I have posted this before but in another thread but anyway it deserves a second airing. My son who is partially sighted and attended a mainstream junior school with a V.I unit (he now attends a senior school with a V.I. Unit as in visually impaired) was invited along with his teachers and other visually impaired classmates to a free matinee to a West End production.On arrival they were met by a guy who gave them a tour of the set and then took them into a room where armed with a guitar he got the kids and their teachers to shout out the names of family and particularly their pets and then made up funny songs with the names included and funny jokes. He then went on to perform in the show in one of the lead roles. When I collected my son he was raving about this guy and I was asking about the show but he was more excited about his experiences beforehand although he loved the show too. He didnt have a clue who the man was but I found out through his teachers (and more than a couple fell in love with him that day) that it was Phil Jupitus

Lovely story. I am not surprised to hear that Phil Jupitus is a nice guy :)
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    This made me LOL :D

I'd be disappointed if Jamie was rude in real life, I know he's a bit annoying but he seems like such a smiley, happy guy.

My MIL saw him, and although she didn't personally speak to him, there were fans talking to him, asking for autographs etc. She said he was lovely with them, very friendly. She didn't have an opinion on him one way or the other prior to that, but she really likes him now.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was allegedly asked to open the Bolton branch of M&S for a shedload of cash and wanted the store to open an hour early just so he could do some shopping without hassle from fans.

Marks told him to do one. :D

And yet Debenhams accommodated him. ;)

Peter Kay gets NO peace whatsoever in Bolton. No surprised he's a bit off at times.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    lolacola wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver was pretty rude when my friend met him. Although that might have been down to the fact my friend gave him a picture of Gino Dacampo to sign.

I don't blame him in that case. That is rather a cheap, snidey, thing of your mate to do.
  • lolacolalolacola Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    I don't blame him in that case. That is rather a cheap, snidey, thing of your mate to do.

It was pretty stupid of him. He saw him in the street and decided to run into WHsmith and buy a food magazine for him to buy but the only one he could see had Gino Dacapo on the cover. Although Jamie Oliver did sign it after giving my friend a few words.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_Goyle wrote: »

Is this some sort of "joke"? I can't imagine Rolf being awful to anyone. Ever. If so I am really disappointed :(
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Is this some sort of "joke"? I can't imagine Rolf being awful to anyone. Ever. If so I am really disappointed :(

I know someone who met him at some kind of festival thing in a field and they said he was a legend!!! He was just there for fun, not an official appearance :)
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I have a few people to mention. These are a mixture of ones I have met, ones who friends have met and ones who friends have worked for. A couple of them appear to conform to existing reports!

Most of these are based on a single encounter though, so some of the negative ones might not be a reflection of that person's true character:

Phil Harding: One report 'grumpy' and the other, rude and ignorant. It's a shame really as I like him on TV!

Rowan Atkinson: Not a nice person at all. Thinks he is better than everyone else and treats people as inferior. I have since seen the Blackadder documentary where a similar thing was implied.

Billy Bragg: Approachable, genuine and down-to-earth.

Fish from Marillion: Very tall! Approachable and pleasant.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall: Very nice, genuine bloke.

Carol McGiffin: Lovely.

Jimmy Carr: A right *see you next Tuesday*. This is a shame too as I like him on TV.

Martin Clunes: Polite, unassuming and likeable.

Martin Carthy: Pleasant and humorous.

Dave Swarbrick: Pleasant and approachable.

Bert Jansch (RIP): Very nice person.

John Renbourn: Very nice, with good sense of humour.

Hayseed Dixie (all of them!): Very nice people. Friendly, humble and approachable.

Jeremy Clarkson: A bit arrogant. Wouldn't sign an autograph.

Francie Clarkson (Jeremy's wife): Pleasant, but doesn't mince her words!

Mariah Carey: Very nice personality and very normal behind the scenes.

Bruce Forsyth: Dismissive and wouldn't sign an autograph.

Leslie Crowther (RIP): Rude.

Spike Milligan (RIP): Approachable, funny and exactly as you might imagine!

Boothby Graffoe: Approachable and likeable off-stage.

Jeremy Vine: Very nice bloke.

Lesley Waters: Lovely.

Noel Redding (RIP): A nice bloke.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the interesting things that keeps coming up is Rowan Atkinson always got the impression (though never met him) that he was a shy and private person but probably on the whole nice.
    That doesn't seem to be anyones impression on here.
    I suppose the less you appear on tv (interviews) the more likely someone ends up assuming what a persons like.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sharren wrote: »
    steve wright from the radio I met him at a radio 1 road show in torquay many years ago he was abslutly horrible.

I guess you just didn't tell him how much you 'love the show Steve' ;)

He always seems very false and two-faced on the radio
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the person who mentioned Leslie Crowther, when did you meet him? He would probably admit in later life that he was rude and arrogant in his earlier life, but after admitting his alcohol problems, he was very much a changed man. After his car accident, although he was slower than before, he still enjoyed some happy years with his family before he died.

I'm afraid I can't share that one poster's positive comments about Aled Jones. Most people who work with him can't stand him.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxiscot wrote: »

Ronnie Corbett - my partner was in a Mayfair butcher a couple of Christmases ago and he got the last piece of beef fillet - we were making Beef Wellington - and he heard this voice, "you can't have that" My partner who in, his spare time, is a rugby prop turned round, looked down and it was Ronnie C who said that he wanted it - my partner said "sorry I was here first." RC in classic celebutard style uttered the immortal "don't you know who I am?" My partner " I really don't care who you are" and laughed.

What an absolutely vile little creep he his. Heard other nasty tales about him too :mad:
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    The Leslie Crowther account wasn't a personal one. That was someone I know who sort of 'met' him.

The actual situation was that the person I know was admiring his Rolls Royce (just looking at it) and Leslie Crowther appeared from somewhere and was very rude, telling him to clear off and keep away from it (words to that effect anyway).