Lifespan of a Sofa?

nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, apologies for the boring thread, but can't find anything up to date on the internet.

We have a leather couch that a few of the cushions are almost flat, and we can't move them about as its all connected, we've only had it for 4 years, although its been here longer (rented flat) and we were wondering if thats about right for them.

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    We have had sofas in our lounge over 10 years and they still look fab but they were very pricey at the time, I'm a bit bored with them but husband refuses to part with them as they cost so much at the time and reckons they should last forever!! 4 years doesn't seem all that long really but depends how much its been used?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the quality. A high class sofa can last 20 years. I remember my friend buying a Chesterfield leather suite when he bought his first house in about1976. It cost him £1000 which was a bloody fortune then but it lasted about 35 years
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We both sit on the same bit of the sofa all the time, but I would've thought it was capable of having someone on it all the time!

I know my mum's leather couch lasted years, but then our landlord might've just bought cheap ones!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought mine from Uno about 2 weeks before they went bust. the large two seater has not faired well. The fabric wore right thru in no time on several of the cushions. I turned them over - I now have one with the zip facing out and it has developed two new holes in the last couple of weeks.

The cushions inside are pretty knackered as well. Might be better to buy a new one than get it re-upholstered or re-covered.

According to the interwebs Uno went bump around 2001/2002 , so I've had 10 years or so out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The covers are fine, not a problem, as I use the arm as a mousemat when on my laptop, its just the stuffing in the cushions that are flat.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, apologies for the boring thread, but can't find anything up to date on the internet.

We have a leather couch that a few of the cushions are almost flat, and we can't move them about as its all connected, we've only had it for 4 years, although its been here longer (rented flat) and we were wondering if thats about right for them.

Thanks!

If you don't know how old it is, how can you know whether it's lasted well or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't know how old it is, how can you know whether it's lasted well or not?

I don't know how long the landlord had it in here first, we have had it 4 years, and it seemed fine when we moved in. I think he only had it in here 6 months before we were in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Did you know that a leather suite would not stand up to a house fire? They just completely disappear. Amazing to see the end results, or not. Why did I think it would be better than a fabric covered suite? Maybe you should speak to the landlord about it. It might have been an expensive one that isn't lasting the course?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member

Thanks!

I've had the same sofa since the early 90's, it's an antique - post war solid wooden frame and legs. Sooooooooo comfy! I just change the throws occassionally.

(& it cost a fiver!)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they get slated, but i got my leather sofa from DFS 12 years ago. 2 dogs and 4 cats have scratched, bounced and lept off it .... and it still looks as good as new and isn't remotely flat. Just the very edge of one of the chairs has a few claw marks.

I would love a new modern sofa, but there is years of life left in the old one yet.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    the cushions on one of our sofa's are almost flat and we have had it for just under 3 years. I don't like foam filling which it is as it seems to go flat quickly. My parents have one that's filled with feathers and it is still like new.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I know they get slated, but i got my leather sofa from DFS 12 years ago.
    Oh, around the time their latest sale started then?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine was purchased in 1985 and belonged to my parents. It became mine when they died.

It looks and feels as good as new. I remove all the covers and wash them regularly.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Oh, around the time their latest sale started then?

Yep :p

Actually, my Dad bought it us for a moving in pressie when we moved into our last house, and confused the sales assistant because he didnt want the 'free for 5yrs' thing. He wanted to pay for it, up front in full. The poor sales guy was really confused by the concept.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I dont buy expensive sofas. Misses insists changing the paint every 3/4 years. So we end up buying a new sofa (as she colour cordinated the sofa with the paint). We tend to buy from DFS, that way I dont feel to bad when we get rid of them after 4 odd years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think we'll need to say to him. Its a pain lol.
  • jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents have just ordered a replacement for their three piece suite which they have had for 25 years - they saved for a while to buy it apparently but they have certainly got good use out of it.

The three seater is pretty worn now and doesn't offer that much lower back support. The 2 seater is not quite so bad and the 1 seater is almost as good as new. It's funny to see how much they have discoloured over the years though.

Happy to say the 1/2 seater will be living on in my flat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We bought two £250 sofas from Argos a year ago. Really would not recommend, the cushions are already misshapen and the seats have got really uncomfortable. x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    14 years. If it cost over £500.