Options

Money for London

nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, me and the husband are going to London in April just for an overnight sightseeing and we were wondering how much money we would need realistically.

We aren't planning on really going to anything like the Dungeons etc, but I have vouchers for there just incase lol.

We don't mind cheap and cheerful food, mainly pizza.

We wont be going out at night, maybe just to a pub for a drink to say we have been.

We were thinking of £200, would this be enough?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    No it won't be. Take about £600.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £600 for an overnight?
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could take in some of the free museums and galleries. If you've already paid for your travel and accommodation, then £200 could easily see you through the day.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 will be plenty.
  • Options
    Anne DroydAnne Droyd Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 will cover parking. £150 for horrible overpriced food. £300 for sundries.

enjoy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult question to answer as it all depends on what you're going to do. Just work out how much each thing you are going to do will cost and add it up. If you're going to do free stuff it won't cost you much but if you are going to go shopping and fine dining then it will cost a heap.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 will be more than enough for spends for the day and a nice meal in the evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No way. You'll need at least £600. Each.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nutty, go to the Stockpot. Good food and cheap, cheap cheap. If you go to Brick Lane, you can get some good curries for not a lot of money. £200 is plenty for a day trip.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 will be fine - a lot of things you can do in London can be relatively cheap. Instead of the sightseeing bus, hit Trafalgar Square and get on one of the buses there heading towards Oxford Circus, I can't remember which number, that way you'll see loads of London for the price of one journey, around £1.40 if you buy an Oyster card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flights and accommodation is already paid. We get breakfast in the hotel.

Think our travel tickets for the days is £32 all in, so about £170 left. We are mainly going about taking pics of everything. Going to the science centre thing as its free. I have money off vouchers for the dungeons as I mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are staying in central London, it will cost about £7 each for a one day travel card. That will give you any number trips on buses and tubes in zones 1 - 2 where most of the sights are. You could allow £10 for breakfast, £10 for a light lunch and £20 - £30 for an evening meal each. That will give you around £40 each left for other sundries and entry into any paying sites (although most charge around £25, but if you have a 2 for 1 voucher, even better). Of course you can get food for less and there are plenty of free museums and galleries.

Have a look at the London for free website. It has a self guided bus tour and walks if you are inclined.
    http://www.londonforfree.net/
    Timeout has some suggestions for cheap eats.
    http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/997/londons-best-cheap-eats

If you plan a little before you go, you should have a nice time.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Think our travel tickets for the days is £32 all in, so about £170 left. We are mainly going about taking pics of everything. Going to the science centre thing as its free. I have money off vouchers for the dungeons as I mentioned earlier.

In which case, without being rude, why are you unsure as to whether £200 will be enough ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Science Museum and Natural History Museum are both worth visiting, free too :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »
    £200 will be fine - a lot of things you can do in London can be relatively cheap. Instead of the sightseeing bus, hit Trafalgar Square and get on one of the buses there heading towards Oxford Circus, I can't remember which number, that way you'll see loads of London for the price of one journey, around £1.40 if you buy an Oyster card.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    In which case, without being rude, why are you unsure as to whether £200 will be enough ?

Well I've never been to London, and I'm unsure of the cost of things.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Science Museum and Natural History Museum are both worth visiting, free too :)

Not to mention the National Gallery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Not to mention the National Gallery.

Of course! Tate Modern is another one.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You won't be disappointed - this city is any photographer's dream.

A few tips: avoid Oxford Street and Leicester Square as both are just horrible tourist traps. Never understood the attraction of either. The Dungeon isn't all that much either, although teenagers seem to enjoy it a lot.

I've lived here for a long time but did this last year:
    http://www.london-ghost-tour.com/
    and it was brilliant! Unlike the more touristy walks, Richard is an absolute delight, he loves and knows this city like no other, and is also a fantastic storyteller who will show you little streets and corners you didn't even know existed. (No, I'm not related to him/his PR person before you ask :D)

Not exactly a rip off either, about £8. You need to book beforehand though, his walks are very popular. The one I did is called "Alleyways and Shadows".

Lastly, as others have said already, there is so much to see and do here that is absolutely for free.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A barebones central hotel is going to be £120/night.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    And the British Museum, free too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    A barebones central hotel is going to be £120/night.....

Or less than £100;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d209146-Reviews-Arosfa-London_England.html#REVIEWS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be disappointed - this city is any photographer's dream.

A few tips: avoid Oxford Street and Leicester Square as both are just horrible tourist traps. Never understood the attraction of either. The Dungeon isn't all that much either, although teenagers seem to enjoy it a lot.

I've lived here for a long time but did this last year:
    http://www.london-ghost-tour.com/
    and it was brilliant! Unlike the more touristy walks, Richard is an absolute delight, he loves and knows this city like no other, and is also a fantastic storyteller who will show you little streets and corners you didn't even know existed. (No, I'm not related to him/his PR person before you ask :D)

Not exactly a rip off either, about £8. You need to book beforehand though, his walks are very popular. The one I did is called "Alleyways and Shadows".

Lastly, as others have said already, there is so much to see and do here that is absolutely for free.

I agree 100% with this post - a friend of mine did the Ghost Tour and LOVED it.

I can't understand why people would want to head down Oxford Street either :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice and info!

We should have plenty then, was just worried we would be stuck with no cash!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are cash machines in London - you could have got more out if you needed to?