Options

Since the strawberry season started, i have eaten a bowlful a day! Good thing?

Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or bad thing? :confused:

i mean like a huge bowlful :D i just love them !
fruit is good for you, but can you have too much of a good thing?
will strawberrys make me fat.

Comments

• Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably if you ate them with cream or sugar.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose if you excessively eat them then they maybe bad for your teeth - but you take preventative measures for that by brushing so I am not sure.

Plus the calorie intake if you are not doing any exercise at all will increase your calorie intake so that could be bad for you.

Basically it is like anything else - moderation and other lifestyle factors dictate how healthy something is :)
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I hope you are carefully sourcing your strawberries otherwise you could be loading yourself with a nice little chemical cocktail
    http://www.getfarming.com.au/pages/farming/articles_view.php?fId=9200020080625145001
    http://www.pan-uk.org/archive/Projects/Food/strawberries.html
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you're not shitting through the eye of a needle. On the plus side I hear they're a very good natural tooth whitener
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    yep they are great for teeth. They also contains alot of antioxidants and are delicious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep they are great for teeth. They also contains alot of antioxidants and are delicious

Whitening teeth is not necessarily the same thing as great for teeth. They have a mild bleaching action that can remove stains, but they are still quite acidic, and acid is not great for tooth enamel.

So rinse thoroughly after eating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    saliva will restrengthen the enamel Phoenix. Its only when guzzling cans and cans of coke that acid becomes a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saliva will restrengthen the enamel Phoenix. Its only when guzzling cans and cans of coke that acid becomes a problem.

It really isn't but whatever you wish to believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really isn't but whatever you wish to believe.

do you honestly think strawberries would rot enamel? whenever I eat strawberries my teeth look perfect
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you honestly think strawberries would rot enamel? whenever I eat strawberries my teeth look perfect

And if you honest don't believe that acidic fruits can't cause acid wear on teeth, then that is completely up to you. I will continue to rinse my mouth out after eating such things.

Also again looking and being are two different things entirely. As I said I agree they whiten teeth, this does not necessary mean they are healthy for teeth - just removing stains that is all.

Also you will notice that I emboldened "Its only when guzzling cans and cans of coke that acid becomes a problem." which was the point I was making, if you believe that it is only Coke that causes acid wear then you are mistaken.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if you honest don't believe that acidic fruits can't cause acid wear on teeth, then that is completely up to you. I will continue to rinse my mouth out after eating such things.

Also again looking and being are two different things entirely. As I said I agree they whiten teeth, this does not necessary mean they are healthy for teeth - just removing stains that is all.

That's the advice my dentist gives me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    That's the advice my dentist gives me.

My dentist has given me the same advice too, he actually complains because since the introduction of "5-a-day" he has noticed an increase in acid wear in teeth. People just hear that it is healthy and therefore can't be bad at all.

And you are a sensible person so if you are doing it I would be more inclined to copy you than some other posters on here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeh..the same dentists who recommend flouride toothpastes and disgusting nasty chemical mouthwashes. I wash my teeth with baking soda and tea tree oil and my dentist says they are perfect. I also eat lots of fruit but do not drink fruit juices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeh..the same dentists who recommend flouride toothpastes and disgusting nasty chemical mouthwashes. I wash my teeth with baking soda and tea tree oil and my dentist says they are perfect. I also eat lots of fruit but do not drink fruit juices.

Actually my dentist doesn't recommend that. I would be interested to know where your qualifications lie - or would this just be information from blogs all the time :)

Also I like that you dismiss what our dentists say as the rambling of a madman but your dentist says your teeth are perfect so of course that guy is correct :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    information from university studies in fact. and no fillings, no tartar, it is clear my teeth are fine..that is all.

oh wait...i forgot an arrogant :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    information from university studies in fact. and no fillings, no tartar, it is clear my teeth are fine..that is all.

oh wait...i forgot an arrogant :)

Really? Well I would love to see these studies conducted saying fruit acids don't do nothing to teeth I really would. And my smilie wasn't arrogant just trying to keep it light.

Also my teeth are fine too, although a dentist told me this and we know how much of a charlatan those professionals can be don't we.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    did I say dentists were stupid? no.

do they recommend flouride? yes. is this stupid? yes :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did I say dentists were stupid? no.

do they recommend flouride? yes. is this stupid? yes :)

Did I say they were stupid no? I said Charlatan - that doesn't mean stupid.

Anyway, I am not that fussed any more. I stand by my points that fruit could cause acid wear and rinsing your mouth out is recommended, coke isn't the only thing to cause acid wear, and strawberries can remove stains from teeth (if they are light stains) but this doesn't necessarily mean they are great for teeth, just good at removing stains.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with all foods, everything in moderation. If you want to try and lose weight then strawberries are high in natural sugar so just be aware. And as somebody else mentioned watch out if you are eating with extra sugar or cream.