How unyhgenic are cats?

1234568»

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend has a dog and several cats and her house always stinks. It can't help that the cats keep bringing back dead and half dead bodies of small animals through the cat flap and leaving them all round the house. Also because of the dog, she has their feeding dishes on the kitchen window sill and work surface. The cats roam up and down at will and these areas are always grubby and littered with spilled water and cat food.
    Seriously I would never go round to her house for a meal. Even the thought of it makes me want to vomit. She is often 'not very well'. I'm not surprised.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    A friend has a dog and several cats and her house always stinks. It can't help that the cats keep bringing back dead and half dead bodies of small animals through the cat flap and leaving them all round the house. Also because of the dog, she has their feeding dishes on the kitchen window sill and work surface. The cats roam up and down at will and these areas are always grubby and littered with spilled water and cat food.
    Seriously I would never go round to her house for a meal. Even the thought of it makes me want to vomit. She is often 'not very well'. I'm not surprised.

I must admit that is one of the things I dont like about cats..and it is definitely unhygenic...the fact that they can jump onto the kitchen work surfaces and walk along...especially after being in the garden having freshly used those same paws to cover up their poo...
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    I must admit that is one of the things I dont like about cats..and it is definitely unhygenic...the fact that they can jump onto the kitchen work surfaces and walk along...especially after being in the garden having freshly used those same paws to cover up their poo...

The answer is to always wipe down worksurfaces with disinfectant spray before any food preperation. Theres no point trying to keep them off as they'll get up when your back is turned. I'd imagine most UK houses are designed with garden access only being through the kitchen so its pretty unavoidable:(
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Our cat hasn't jumped on our kitchen units since he was a kitten - he's 17 now.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats are considerably LESS unhygenic than children - especially small children. Kids are the most unhygenic germ ridden creatures on the planet. I have kept cats all my life and never ever caught anything from a cat or suffered any problem from their supposed lack of hygene, However I have totally lost count of the things I caught from small children and their snotty noses and grubby hands etc. When I taught infants in schools I caught one illness after another from them - I was never well. Now I've left teaching and it's just me and my cats I'm never ill.
    Forum Member
    Artymags wrote: »
    Cats are considerably LESS unhygenic than children - especially small children. Kids are the most unhygenic germ ridden creatures on the planet. I have kept cats all my life and never ever caught anything from a cat or suffered any problem from their supposed lack of hygene, However I have totally lost count of the things I caught from small children and their snotty noses and grubby hands etc. When I taught infants in schools I caught one illness after another from them - I was never well. Now I've left teaching and it's just me and my cats I'm never ill.

If I spoke about cats the way that you have just spoken about children..I would be told well you shouldnt have a cat..you should definitely not have worked with children...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    If I spoke about cats the way that you have just spoken about children..I would be told well you shouldnt have a cat..you should definitely not have worked with children...

I don't think there was anything that was untrue in that statement! kids are grubby. My little one has taken to wiping her nose on her sleeve :mad: i hate it and stop her when I can, but she still does it (its quicker than going to get a tissue) :D
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I don't think there was anything that was untrue in that statement! kids are grubby. My little one has taken to wiping her nose on her sleeve :mad: i hate it and stop her when I can, but she still does it (its quicker than going to get a tissue) :D

"Kids are the most unhygenic,germ ridden creatures on the planet"!!!!!!!!!!..I think thats quite offensive.

I would be quite upset to think my childrens teacher spoke about them in that way...

What if a vet spoke that way about a cat..would you not think they were in the wrong job?
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Kids are the most unhygenic,germ ridden creatures on the planet"!!!!!!!!!!..I think thats quite offensive.

I would be quite upset to think my childrens teacher spoke about them in that way...

What if a vet spoke that way about a cat..would you not think they were in the wrong job?
    There was a famous naturalist (can't remember which) who had been to every continent during his long career and studied thousands of different species. He said that without doubt human beings are the filthiest animals on Earth, and the stench of an inuit's home was the worst odour in the world. It's also true that the human bite is the second most toxic non-venenous bite in the animal kingdom (after Komodo dragons). And I would hazard a guess that most adults are more hygenic than most children. Perhaps you should stop being so precious and simply face facts. Children are filthy animals.
    Forum Member

Not if it were true. I work with animals and can say pigs are not as filthy as people imagine, but wolves are awful when wet! Kids are germ ridden, I've spent the last year full of colds that my daughter brings home from school.
    Forum Member

Not if it were true. I work with animals and can say pigs are not as filthy as people imagine, but wolves are awful when wet! Kids are germ ridden, I've spent the last year full of colds that my daughter brings home from school.
  • fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    My cat always smells wonderful. She doesn't use deodorant either.

The smell of beautiful, soft fur washed clean by rainwater and fresh air.

Beautiful. :)
  • UncleLouUncleLou Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Cats used to/still have a bad name because of toxoplasmosis -

They still do. Cats are the only hosts of toxoplasmosis. In other words, the parasite can't breed in any other animal.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html
    "Cats, both wild and domestic, are the only definitive hosts for Toxoplasma gondii."
    But
    "cats kept indoors that do not hunt prey or are not fed raw meat are not likely to be infected with T. gondii."

Toxamplasmosis is a zoonosis - it transfers from animals to people, but cannot be passed from person to person.

From the NHS:-
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxoplasmosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

What causes toxoplasmosis?

Toxoplasmosis is caused by infection with a common parasite called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii). T. gondii can be found in:

• undercooked or raw meat
    • cured meat, such as parma ham or salami
    • unpasteurised goats' milk
    • cat faeces
    • soil or cat litter that is contaminated with infected cat faeces

The NHS on the danger of toxoplasmosis on people:-
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Toxoplasmosis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

• hydrocephalus - water on the brain
    • brain damage
    • epilepsy - a condition that affects the brain and causes repeated seizures (fits)
    • jaundice - yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes
    • deafness
    • eye infections and blindness
    • an enlarged liver or spleen (an organ that filters impurities from your blood)
    • growth problems
    • cerebral palsy - a condition of the brain and nervous system that affects a child’s movement and co-ordination

If the mother becomes infected during the third trimester of pregnancy (from week 27 to the birth), and the infection passes on to the baby, he or she may not have any symptoms at birth. However, complications may develop later in life.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Get a cat of your own. They're very territorial, so won't allow others in. Then, at worst, you'll only have one lot of cat shit to clean up!
    At what cost to the birds in your garden?
    I have two ultrasonic scarers that work. But if I'm in time I send the dog after them or chuck water at them. Holly leaves on seed beds also help deter this suburban pest.
  • Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are very hygienic unless they decide to 'mark' their territory.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, I've never caught headlice from a cat! I used to help out in my sons primary class, and there were kids who obviously didn't wash their hands after using the loo, obviously, and endless streaming noses wiped on sleeves, and any soft furnishings to hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both my cats are out door cats and have never had fleas or been dirty. They spend half their lives cleaning themselves anyway
    Forum Member
    Both my cats are out door cats and have never had fleas or been dirty. They spend half their lives cleaning themselves anyway

I doubt they've never had fleas, most likely you protect them from fleas so the little sods stay away, but every cat has had contact with fleas at some point, I'm talking outdoor cats here, obviously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well not that bad but i wont leyt mine butter me bread