Options

Create Desktop Short Cut

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,227
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
windows 8.1

Not sure what happened but I just ran Malwarebytes and it re-downloaded and re-instalelled the programme

In the process the short cut to Malwarebytes on my desktop was deleted

I can't figure out how to create a new one !........:blush:

Can anyone spell it out for me ?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, not to worry........I've Uninstalled it, Re-installed it and made sure I ticked the 'create shortcut' box

What a palaver !
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I always look carefully at the windows before I hit the next button. At least you've sorted out the problem though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, I always look carefully at the windows before I hit the next button. At least you've sorted out the problem though.

I couldn't even find a way to open the programme without a short cut on the desk top

Right clicking on the Start Menu and clicking 'programs' brings up a list of programs but the there doesn't appear to be any way to open them.......the only option seems to be Uninstall

Windows 8.1 is really the most user-unfriendly system ........>:(
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

I can't figure out how to create a new one !........:blush:

Can anyone spell it out for me ?

On XP but should be similar in Win 8. Find Malwarebytes in programs, right click and 'send to' ... desktop (create shortcut).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    On XP but should be similar in Win 8. Find Malwarebytes in programs, right click and 'send to' ... desktop (create shortcut).

There doesn't appear to be a list of programs ...........

If you click on 'Programs and Features' from the start menu you get the list of programs but the only option for each one appears to be 'Uninstall'.......
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Windows Explorer and search for malwarebytes executable.

Right click it and Send to / Create shortcut etc.

Open File location of any other file likely to be in the same directory often helps in locating as well.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    :blush::blush::blush:Double post....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well........I was trying and failing to create a short cut from the desktop without going into the tiles page, which I don't use

As I posted earlier I solved the problem by uninstalling the program, downloading it again, installing it and ticking the 'create short cut' box during installation

That seems a hell of a way to do something as simple as create a shortcut but I couldn't find any way to do it from the desktop, which seems crazy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Basically the same as Robin advises.
    Right click bottom left menu - File explorer - find program and send to desktop.
    Or
    1. Tap and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, then tap or click Shortcut.

2. Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Or..
    Just pin to task bar for easy access.

While you are at it you can put a shortcut to the programs folder on your desktop to save time if you need to do it again.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just can't believe this nonsense it is easy and straightforward in Windows 8.1, almost the same as way back to Windows XP.

Start Screen > Down Arrow to All Apps > find Icon > Right click > Pin to Start Screen, Pin to Task Bar, Open file location > Send to... > Desktop.

The Start Screen is available from the Desktop, on the Task bar, and there's the Windows Key, and also via the Charms bar (RH side).

Admittedly there were others ways in Windows XP like dragging and dropping, but Windows 8.1 is far from impossible.

As per usual the posts from non Windows 8.1 users, strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Just can't believe this nonsense it is easy and straightforward in Windows 8.1, almost the same as way back to Windows XP.

Start Screen > Down Arrow to All Apps > find Icon > Right click > Pin to Start Screen, Pin to Task Bar, Open file location > Send to... > Desktop.

The Start Screen is available from the Desktop, on the Task bar, and there's the Windows Key, and also via the Charms bar (RH side).

Admittedly there were others ways in Windows XP like dragging and dropping, but Windows 8.1 is far from impossible.

As per usual the posts from non Windows 8.1 users, strange.
    Apart from the fact that the OP said he didn't want to go into the start screen. That's what he's been advised to do. Nothing different in there.
    Not really seeing the reason for your attacking attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that the OP said he didn't want to go into the start screen. That's what he's been advised to do. Nothing different in there.
    Not really seeing the reason for your attacking attitude.

Yes........I don't use the Tiles screen for anything

I open straight into desktop mode and work from there

So what I wanted was to create a desktop shortcut from within the desktop

apparently it's impossible..........which is ridiculous
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If windows 8.1 is anything similar to windows 8 you will have an icon on the left side of the task bar which opens the libraries folder. Open your C folder from there. Open the Programs folder (x86). Open the Malwarebytes folder. Right click on the mbam.exe icon and choose the option create shortcut. You will then get a message saying the shortcut can't be placed there and would you like to place it on the desktop. Click yes. Result, the program can now be opened and run from the desktop. You don't need to access the tiles at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If windows 8.1 is anything similar to windows 8 you will have an icon on the left side of the task bar which opens the libraries folder. Open your C folder from there. Open the Programs folder (x86). Open the Malwarebytes folder. Right click on the mbam.exe icon and choose the option create shortcut. You will then get a message saying the shortcut can't be placed there and would you like to place it on the desktop. Click yes. Result, the program can now be opened and run from the desktop. You don't need to access the tiles at all.

thanks !

that's probably what I needed to know

I did get as far as the malwarebytes folder but there are about 25 things in there and I didn't know what any of them do.........or which, if any, to click on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks !

that's probably what I needed to know

I did get as far as the malwarebytes folder but there are about 25 things in there and I didn't know what any of them do.........or which, if any, to click on

Well it's the one I mentioned. I know it's correct because I did it myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's the one I mentioned. I know it's correct because I did it myself.

cheers !........I meant when I was trying to do it yesterday I got to the malwarebytes folder but was faced with about 25 files and didn't know what to do from there

I do now !........:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't even find a way to open the programme without a short cut on the desk top

Right clicking on the Start Menu and clicking 'programs' brings up a list of programs but the there doesn't appear to be any way to open them.......the only option seems to be Uninstall

Windows 8.1 is really the most user-unfriendly system ........>:(

You should have tried clicking on the folder on the Task Bar and then This PC -> Local Disk (C: ) -> Program Files (x86) -> Malwarebytes Ant-Malware. You could have sent a shortcut of the exe file to the desktop from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's much easier just to choose 'send to' and then choose desktop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's much easier just to choose 'send to' and then choose desktop.

Probably but that's what I always do and it never cocks up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have tried clicking on the folder on the Task Bar and then This PC -> Local Disk (C: ) -> Program Files (x86) -> Malwarebytes Ant-Malware. You could have sent a shortcut of the exe file to the desktop from there.

I just said all that above, only you did it neater. The problem was the original poster didn't know what exe file to use. There are two in the folder and only one of them is correct. Still, I suppose you could try them both if you didn't know and see which one works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you are not using the Modern Start menu, do you have a third party start menu? If not install one and just go to the program in the start menu, right click and send to desktop....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just said all that above, only you did it neater. The problem was the original poster didn't know what exe file to use. There are two in the folder and only one of them is correct. Still, I suppose you could try them both if you didn't know and see which one works.

mbam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mbam.

Yes. I said that above too and the OP thanked me. From my original post

click on the mbam.exe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my whole original post.

I admitted you can use send to instead of how I do it but as far as everything else is concerned the problem was solved. It's done and dusted.