Options

Dancing palace guardsman faces a spell in Colchester prison. Harsh or fair?

idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
Forum Member
A Grenadier Guardsman who broke strict rules by dancing on parade outside Buckingham Palace is potentially facing a 21-day prison sentence and a £1,000 fine.

Footage of the unnamed soldier performing a series of ballet-style pirouettes while on guard duty has become an internet sensation, watched by more than 1.7 million people on YouTube.

But Army top brass have reacted furiously to the video and are ready to hand down a custodial sentence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754857/Pirouetting-palace-guardsman-faces-three-weeks-grim-military-prison-Soldier-s-superiors-left-livid-dance-stunt.html

I'm a bit torn on this one, because his actions were harmless enough, but his expected professionalism and conduct as a guard should have been apparent.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    fair, discipline is vital in the armed forces for very obvious reasons.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754857/Pirouetting-palace-guardsman-faces-three-weeks-grim-military-prison-Soldier-s-superiors-left-livid-dance-stunt.html

I'm a bit torn on this one, because his actions were harmless enough, but his expected professionalism and conduct as a guard should have been apparent.

What do you think?

He certainly shouldn't go to prison. Just a demotion should be enough.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is fair too. He has a job of responsibility and while on duty there can be no place for frivolity.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a bit harsh, but he certainly needs to learn his lesson. The man's an idiot. He's brought the dignity associated with his post at the Royal residence into disrepute. He needs to grow up and realise he's in a highly-visible, responsible job, not looning around at school any more and he can't go camping it up whilst on duty.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harsh. He's hardly a danger to the public is he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

Prison has three elements to it as a sentence:-

1. Penalty
    2. Rehabilitation
    3. Safeguard of the public

Therefore two of those are relevant in this case.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well no, but he's supposed to be guarding something. He can hardly do that if he's performing Swan Lake at the same time, can he?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fair, discipline is vital in the armed forces for very obvious reasons.

This really. As harsh as it sounds discipline is vital to people who are serving in the armed forces, and the lack of it is viewed very seriously.

This kind of messing around is 'harmless' but if that's allowed to be tolerated then the line between acceptable an unacceptable becomes blurred so I guess that's why any ill discipline is treated the same.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Prison has three elements to it as a sentence:-

1. Penalty
    2. Rehabilitation
    3. Safeguard of the public

Therefore two of those are relevant in this case.

Ok but when rapists and serial burglars are getting community service, it all seems like making an example rather than a proportionate sentence imo
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

anyone officially carrying a gun should be subject to harsh disciplinary measures, the potential is obvious and a clear message that fannying about when you are armed is unacceptable should be unequivocally communicated thus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But this is modplod we are taking about. They have a completely different set of 'laws' that all service personnel have to abide by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok but when rapists and serial burglars are getting community service, it all seems like making an example rather than a proportionate sentence imo

He's not being prosecuted or sent to prison in a civilian sense!

Its an army 'court' and an army prison.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armed guard messing about? I have to side with the clear discipline here, or we'll have the strictly changing of the guard tap-dancing routine contest starting up.

Besides, with a careful bit of spin and charge sheet rewriting, he'll soon be properly qualified to join the A-Team :p It's a dead cunning infiltration ploy!
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you consider some can hurt or injure a person or animal and not face jail time then it does seem harsh, however, I'm sure he knew what would be a serious breach of expected conduct and how serious the consequence could be.

In this case I would be happy to let them remonstrate him without jail time. Jail time does seem unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. He's not a danger to society unless someone is severely aggrieved by bad dancing.

I didn't see the full clip. Did he do the Moonwalk? The Moonwalk or fake walking down stairs bit? If he did I think he should be mayor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    He's not being prosecuted or sent to prison in a civilian sense!

Its an army 'court' and an army prison.

Ah ok thanks. I actually wondered if Colchester was a military prison after I'd made my last post. Well, if others have been given similar punishment for similar military 'crimes' or breaches then who am I to argue.

I suppose he would have known what could happen before he did his thang. In the real world it seems a bit much but I suppose, as others have said, discipline is crucial and if that's how they deal with these misdemeanours...
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who think this is a fair punishment are nothing but extremists. So someone danced a for a bit, my jolly!
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone officially carrying a gun should be subject to harsh disciplinary measures, the potential is obvious and a clear message that fannying about when you are armed is unacceptable should be unequivocally communicated thus.

That is exactly what the world wanted to hear from Judge Thokozile Masipa.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just sack him.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    People who think this is a fair punishment are nothing but extremists. So someone danced a for a bit, my jolly!

Agreed. Probably outraged royalists.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Extremists? don't be silly!! Imprisoning someone in the real world for dancing would be extreme, but this chap voluntarily joined the military, knew the rules, knew how seriously the rules were taken, and knew the potential punishment. Not sure what else he expected.

I am not a massive fan of military discipline and so I would never volunteer to subject myself to it. However I do recognise that it's there for a reason and I bet this guy would acknowledge that as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    That is exactly what the world wanted to hear from Judge Thokozile Masipa.

Oh no no no no. Don't go bringing that shyte in here.

:p
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Extremists? don't be silly!! Imprisoning someone in the real world for dancing would be extreme, but this chap voluntarily joined the military, knew the rules, knew how seriously the rules were taken, and knew the potential punishment. Not sure what else he expected.

I am not a massive fan of military discipline and so I would never volunteer to subject myself to it. However I do recognise that it's there for a reason and I bet this guy would acknowledge that as well.

It is ridiculous. It is not "their rules, their way of life" kind of thing.

Would you say the same thing if someone was imprisoned for dancing in public in the middle of S.Arabia?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no no no no. Don't go bringing that shyte in here.

:p

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is ridiculous. It is not "their rules, their way of life" kind of thing.

Would you say the same thing if someone was imprisoned for dancing in public in the middle of S.Arabia?

If he was in the Saudi military I might.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not on got to dance, he's not there to publicise himself, he's a soldier guarding the Monarch. Just because he is in the public eye doesn't mean he can forget his training and start farting around.

Don't put him in prison, just relieve him of his duties.