Old stuff they used to have at school you remember?

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I defo remember these cassettes they used to have in classrooms
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3843/15157944008_9899987556_o.jpg
:cool:

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slate and slate pencil . Honestly :blush: the memory of the noise still grates .
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    inkwells on the desks.......

shiny red exercise books that had maths tables on the back

milk time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I remember those black and yellow stripey HB pencils with a red end.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    inkwells on the desks.......
    My primary school had them but they were a leftover from a previous generation.
    Also the lids lifted to store your books inside.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some kind of primitive photocopier thing with a drum that you had to manually rotate for each copy. Always used purple ink which had that lovely solventy smell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Blackboard dusters that the teacher would hurl across the room. Ouch!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The tv and video on the stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teacher had a big pencil sharpener attached to her desk and you had to ask permission to use it.

New rubbers.

Half sized jotters for copy writing.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to have a nurse first aid lady who would dab yellow ointment on our cuts and grazes. Great days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Blackboard dusters that the teacher would hurl across the room. Ouch!

The special child who got chosen to clean the blackboard. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    My primary school had them but they were a leftover from a previous generation.
    Also the lids lifted to store your books inside.

........and the seat/bench was attached to the desk........
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smell of stale cigarette smoke from the staff room :o
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    In primary school we had several wooden guillotines with rather savage machete blades with a wooden lever handle:

http://countryantiquefurniture.co.uk/productimages/WoodenGuillotine.jpg

If you finished your work early you'd get a job trimming work sheets or whatever at the guillotine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playtime that was as long as it took for teacher to turn the heel on the sock she was knitting. Loved when she knitted socks.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    In primary school we had several wooden guillotines with rather savage machete blades with a wooden lever:

http://countryantiquefurniture.co.uk/productimages/WoodenGuillotine.jpg

If you finished your work early you'd get a job trimming work sheets or whatever at the guillotine!

My job was to assemble the computer for class when we got use of it.
    A BBC Acorn, it had a proper floppy drive, all the bits connected by a proper ribbon cable.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old stuff I remember from school? Definitely the dinner ladies!
    Forum Member
    A dot matrix printer
  • hedsashedhedsashed Posts: 2,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cane, a slipper and a cricket bat.

Non were used for what they were designed for, apart from the bat on sports lessons :cry:
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 'old stuff' will seem like whizz bang new stuff to some people, no doubt but I remember the old cassette tape 'listening booths' or whatever they were called, with lots of individual tape players you'd connect the large headphones to and listen to tapes on, then answer questions.

I remember at the end of primary school, the school had invested in a Philips CDI machine, a little like a DVD player, only for CD-Rom type optical disks, computing disks that were interactive and watched through a TV. It was supposed to be the future but never fully took off. I remember we (only?) had one disk for it, an encyclopedia not unlike Microsoft Encarta.

I remember at school being originally shown basic computing things on a PC, then in secondary school it was purely Apple Macs (then Classics and the iMacs were just introduced as I entered my standard grade years I think, mid to late 90s). I only ever had PCs at home and would get muddled having gone from using a Mac at school some of the day, to a totally different OS at home but we couldn't afford Macs(!). I always preferred PCs anyway.

I remember the original floppy disks and old BBC Micro computers but not thanks to work but rather because my dad worked at a college library where they had such computers and he showed me around and loaded an old floppy disk of games for me to play on, when I was maybe 6 or so, just after a toddler?.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    A BBC Acorn, it had a proper floppy drive, all the bits connected by a proper ribbon cable.

They treated ours like it was the crown jewels. I remember being put in detention and having to do 100 lines once for not showing due respect and sitting still in front of it.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teachers that would give you a clip round the ear, or chuck the blackboard duster at people. Caning. Being afraid. Not happy memories, I'm afraid. Perhaps that's why I don't reminisce about those days too much.
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »

BBC computers!

We used to beg and beg to be allowed to play this game, which came on floppy disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXixy3QIV0

It's so lame :D
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched a pirate copy of ET on video as a treat at my primary school, years and years before it was released! You just wouldnt believe that now! The whole school just sat there crossed legged on the assembly floor watching a hooky vhs copy...hilarious!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Old stuff I remember from school? Definitely the dinner ladies!

my primary/junior school had no cooking facilities so we used to march to the next school for our school dinners.......all weathers, two foot of snow, balaclavas, little red knees.....:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    The over head projector that people used to have turns being in charge of during assembly to show the words for the hymns. I was ' sacked' from this to my eternal shame as I didn't change the films fast enough. Then interactive whiteboards came in.