New Year's Eve Options

Comments

• AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the 'light stuff' is the music that makes Radio 2 distinctive and caters for audiences not served elsewhere.

Pity, the prats at commercial radio who bleet on about Radio 2 nicking their audience don't accept this, and try to offer evening shows that may attract some of the Radio 2 market they crave. However in the case of my local Heart it seems that creative evenings are Club Classics and after a three hour gap...non stop...er Club Classics. Really trying to be Global's Radio 2 here aren't we?

Which is why it's a pity R2 has gone for 'Dance Anthems' on New Years Eve. It's played straight into the commercial sector's hands and has reinforced their point. In musical genre terms there's going to be little to separate R1, 1Xtra and R2 together with Heart, Kiss and Capital.

If R2 was genuinely being different it would be offering something you won't here elsewhere - a Northern Soul party perhaps or Jazz and Swing, but it isn't and as result will deserve all the criticism it gets from the commercial sector.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,822
    Forum Member
    Radio Jackie:

7-10pm: The New Year Party with Charlie King.
    10pm-1am: The New Year Party with Dave Owen.

Shame they dispensed with Les Adams services a few years back as his New Year Party Nights on Jackie were great, a real throw back to his Capital days.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    You know that's gonna be good, I know it's on line at www.80sandmore.co.uk but are any FM stations running the show?
    The Revolution.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Shame they dispensed with Les Adams services a few years back as his New Year Party Nights on Jackie were great, a real throw back to his Capital days.

I know Les did a great soul and motown show, but I preferred his classic hit mixes on The Party.
  • boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity, the prats at commercial radio who bleet on about Radio 2 nicking their audience don't accept this, and try to offer evening shows that may attract some of the Radio 2 market they crave.
    I've just come off a 3 hour conference call. Ashley, Richard & myself.

We have agreed to a night of Big Band sounds hosted by Simon Dale every Monday. Tuesday will be popular folk melodies with Toby. Wednesday night is yeehaaw country with Nick Snaith. Light Classics are every Thursday with Jamie and Friday night is the roaring 40's with Matt Wilkinson.

We are onto a winner!!!
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't they think of it before?!

Pat Sharp online or Paul Bryant on Quidem for me.

I hear Club Classics wiill be In The Mix too.
  • adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In previous years, Heart's Club Classics on NYE has had a slightly different feel to it than the normal output- a larger playlist, well mixed, not just the usual fodder. I actually find it quite listenable, even though I'm nowhere near their target market (I'm 33 y/o and male).
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Which is why it's a pity R2 has gone for 'Dance Anthems' on New Years Eve.
    Exactly, why is there this assumption that everyone wants to listen to dance/party music on New Year's Eve? Radio 2 used to offer a more gentle alternative for listeners who aren't interested in 'partying', and that's what they should be providing tonight. Thank goodness for BBC Local Radio - tonight, as part of BBC Radio Solent's 40th birthday celebrations, Nick Girdler is reviving his legendary New Year's Eve show for the first time in ten years, and it looks like it will be networked across the other stations in the South and South East too.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »

We have agreed to a night of Big Band sounds hosted by Simon Dale every Monday. Tuesday will be popular folk melodies with Toby. Wednesday night is yeehaaw country with Nick Snaith. Light Classics are every Thursday with Jamie and Friday night is the roaring 40's with Matt Wilkinson.

We are onto a winner!!!

You're missing the point (and I think you know this).

R2 should be providing the programmes you've detailed above - that's exactly its remit.

However, R2 has been popularising itself during 'daytime' hours (7am - 7pm) in recent years and now seems intent on targetting the demographic which commercial radio attracts.

Explain to me how Chris Evans, Steve Wright or Simon Mayo's shows differ fundamentally from anything offered by the commercial networks? (Beyond the lack of adverts).

The simple answer is they don't - and this New Years Eve, R2 going with 'Dance Anthems' is basically offering the same musical genre as R1, 1xtra, Heart, Capital and Kiss - which are more popular with the under 40s. On this basis R2 should be doing something different - it isn't.

And, I'm under 40, but I don't like, and have never liked RnB, Dance, House, Rap etc - and I'm not alone.
  • boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing the point (and I think you know this).
    I do and was quite obviously taking the piss. Happy New Year!
    The simple answer is they don't - and this New Years Eve, R2 going with 'Dance Anthems' is basically offering the same musical genre as R1, 1xtra, Heart, Capital and Kiss - which are more popular with the under 40s. On this basis R2 should be doing something different - it isn't.
    That I agree with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Just a plug - the test transmissions for XS Neath & Port Talbot are in the mix for 12 hours non stop for NYE 2010 across the county - www.xswales.com

Craig x
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might have been a bit cut-and-paste happy with my OP. The Jaaaayysooon Deeeerooooooloooo spectacular could have been from last year's schedule and same goes for Dave Kelly's marathon. :o

I see Heat are running New Year's Party Heat from 4pm. Anyone know if this will be commercial-free? I'm guessing Heart's CC won't be.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »

Can I do a networked hour of Joey Deacon's Sing Something Simple on Sunday evenings please - instead of that Big Top 40 chart thing?
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getchin wrote: »
    Just a plug - the test transmissions for XS Neath & Port Talbot are in the mix for 12 hours non stop for NYE 2010 across the county - www.xswales.com

Craig x

This is great. Nice one! :)

http://87.106.180.82:80/xswales128

Good luck with the launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm the Quidem network will be commercial-free from 8pm, according to their Facebook pages.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I do a networked hour of Joey Deacon's Sing Something Simple on Sunday evenings please - instead of that Big Top 40 chart thing?

sorry joey, nobjockey beat you to that gig, but if you are an "organist" , you can " entertain";)
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Jackie will also be commercial free from 7pm-1am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I intend to be entertaining with my Organ later tonight...

I'll get me coat. :)
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getchin wrote: »

Craig x

Just got back into Swansea, see the RDS is reading AfanFM and XS_Soon. Will give it a listen soon!

:) Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    the RDS is reading AfanFM and XS_Soon

I hope you mean Radiotext, and not that the PS (station) name is changing as that's not allowed by Ofcom in the UK!
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain to me how Chris Evans, Steve Wright or Simon Mayo's shows differ fundamentally from anything offered by the commercial networks? (Beyond the lack of adverts).
    Or how about the speech content? I'd say that makes them pretty distinctive from the competition. Simon Mayo's show in particular. Or how about the music played?
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you mean Radiotext, and not that the PS (station) name is changing as that's not allowed by Ofcom in the UK!

Really? For some reason my RDS Station name is going from each of those... will do a scan or something to see if it stops doing it.

:) Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Really?

Yep, it's in Ofcom's broadcasting code, which is why you only ever see it on foreign stations or pirates!
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    I intend to be entertaining with my Organ later tonight...

I'll get me coat. :)

Too much information:eek:
  • slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I'm going out then :D sounds like an awful line up on al fronts, to be honest I think most stations know people will be going out to pubs, bars, clubs etc but for the people that are staying in I'm sure if you browse the net you will find your niche.

If I was staying in I would probably listen to some drum n bass on a pirate station via their online stream as that is what I like. But in my opinion Dave Pearce Dance Anthems isnt all bad for Radio 2 at least its shaking off the tag of being an old fuddy duddy station, some young kids or young adults may like to hear what Dave has to offer. Radio 1 sounds like a crap line up is it me or is it the same old thing every year? least R2 is trying something different with their audience. Kiss FM just another RnB a'thon with Jason Derulo (who? I assume he does RnB?) the rest is just pre recorded tired old "club classics" that you hear every weekend.

Im off out to listen to my friend play some deep house music, its a nice chilled loungey type set which will be very interesting. Remember folks if your staying in there is always the internet if your stuck for something to listen to, if you google world music, folk, to classical to drum n bass you'll find your niche on a station somewhere around.

Have fun and happy new year everyone