Gem 106

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Heart is very popular and listeners probably don't want it to change a very soft relaunch is probably a good way to go.

The advantage of doing it now is that you;ve got plenty of time to iron out any small problems before Tuesday morning when the station really launches. I doubt they will do but i'd have had Sam & Amy in on Monday to run their breakfast show once before Tuesday morning. Any mistakes made between now and Tuesday don't matter but once listening patterns are back to normal then they must perform.

Sam and Amy are down on the schedule for Monday with a shortened show from 7-10am:

http://www.gem106.co.uk/schedule/mon/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking maybe someone from RadioGoss or RadioToday will record it, but is anyone else going to listen/record it?
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, have they done any on air promotion like "Gem is coming", there's nothing on the Heart website about their change from Heart to Gem 106 either which I thought was odd.
  • BoolianBoolian Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could have sworn I heard earlier someone mention Heart East Midlands and a "change of heart"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Has GEM 106 opt'd out of the Heart Network? Heart 106 website now plays Heart Digital and the stream for 106 on radio feeds plays non-stop party tunes with no jingles, different to that on Heart Digital
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard David Francis at 11pm saying an hour to go until midnight, but no mention of GEM.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Global hosted 32k AAC+ stream has been switched off, Orion's own 48k AAC+ stream is still streaming Heart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    The LISTEN LIVE link as just appeared on gem106.co.uk

Currently playing Heart Club Classics.

I wish Orion the best of luck with Gem 106

Happy New Year :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Lloyd faded out Jacko and ID'ed as Heart 106.

The chimes used are not Big Ben.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DAB name has altered,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    GEM 106 is ON THE AIR!

Keeping it Heart starting with Take That :p
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gem is on DAB and so is Heart with the Galaxy information - so much for choice on DAB!!!
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    can't find a working web stream on tuneinradio
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM RDS shows HEART. I noticed Galaxy is now Heart on DAB I had a feeling that would happen...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ignore.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boolian wrote: »
    FM RDS shows HEART. I noticed Galaxy is now Heart on DAB I had a feeling that would happen...

Typical Global dirty trick - we could have used the space for something different....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krob2 wrote: »
    Typical Global dirty trick - we could have used the space for something different....

It was going to happen with Heart becoming GEM and with both Leicester Sound and Galaxy becoming Capital it allowed Galaxy to be GLOBALised to Heart and Leicester Sound to be CAPITALised on Monday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you're a DAB listener, you now have the choice between the real Heart which will now have London breakfast and drive, otherwise not much difference, or the station that sounds similar to Heart with it's playlist, but with regional presentation. Hmm.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gem is on DAB and so is Heart with the Galaxy information
    The ex-Galaxy on DAB is now showing 'Retuneto Capital' as the station ID.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Audio of the launch of GEM 106: GEM106_launch_20110101.mp3
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's been vacant space on the Nottingham and Leicester multiplexs for ages and no-one was interested up until Bauer came along and is about to take the space for Kiss.

It's also highly likely Global have a contract to supply a certain amount of digital services to Now Digital - if they hadn't replaced Galaxy they would paying for space they aren't using - not so much a dirty trick but basic business sense not to waste money on things you aren't using!

Of course it would have been nice to see something like The Arrow or Chill but with Heart having been such a success in the East Midlands it's not a surprise.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making a big point of the fact there will be little change to the music. Of the tracks they've introduced to "Club Classics" it's so far so good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops twice on GEM 106's Hall of Fame show they have played the Club Classics on Heart jingle :(
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boolian wrote: »

The FM RDS is now "Gem 106".
    DAB is "Gem 106 EastMids"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    The FM RDS is now "Gem 106".
    DAB is "Gem 106 EastMids"

Oh yeah thanks for that pointer