aircheckdownloads.com

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
Forum Member
We took a short break over Christmas and New Year, but we came back a few days ago with more audio.

If you haven't checked us out in a while we have recently added scoped airchecks of Radio Mercury from 1994, Leicester Sound 2001, Radio Wyvern 1989, Capital FM 2001 and more! You can also browse through the archives and listen back to everything we have added since we started.

The website is run as a hobby with a small team. We are not a profit making organisation. Our aim is to build the largest database of UK & US radio from the 1980's to today via our own collection as well as through submissions.

www.aircheckdownloads.com

Comments

• BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love aircheckdownloads! The Wyvern one is comedy gold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Bingethink wrote: »
    I love aircheckdownloads! The Wyvern one is comedy gold.
    Wyvern wins the award for the most comedy gold!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Choccy Boy wrote: »
    Our aim is to build the largest database of UK & US radio from the 1980's to today via our own collection as well as through submissions.

www.aircheckdownloads.com
    Your team is doing a fantastic job but can I enquire as to why 60s and 70s airchecks aren't eligible? :confused:
    Forum Member
    You're doing a fantastic job but can I ask why 60s and 70s airchecks aren't eligible? :confused:
    Simply because we don't have any materials from the 60's or 70's. We started rolling tape in the mid 80's.

As there are quite a few websites out there dedicated to the pirate ships of the 60's and the birth of commercial radio in the 70's, we thought we would pick things up from the 80's onwards.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyvern wins the award for the most comedy gold!

God! A 10 min link on jingles and playing them their jingle collection, we've come on a LONG way... thank god! :D
    Forum Member
    nobjockey wrote: »
    God! A 10 min link on jingles and playing them their jingle collection, we've come on a LONG way... thank god! :D
    The whole aircheck is close to an hour long! We had a heads up they would be doing *something* so we rolled tape not knowing what to expect!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there are quite a few websites out there dedicated to the pirate ships of the 60's and the birth of commercial radio in the 70's, we thought we would pick things up from the 80's onwards.
    Does anyone know if any of those sites carry audio? :confused:
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wyvern aircheck is a Smashie and Nicey parody right? ;)
    Forum Member
    We have a copy of a legendary show from Jan 29th 1989 that we will have to post sometime. I don't know if it was his first show but it was certainly his last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    A Smashie and Nicey precursor more likely, considering the characters came to light a year later. A wake up call for radio if ever.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reminded me more of Ivan Brackenbury with all the jingles.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobjockey wrote: »

Well I wouldn't put it past Chris Moyles to do something similar! :p
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moyles from 1998, is classic radio. Sounded so much better back then. Can see him doing another show like Afternoon show in future.
  • ErwinErwin Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward for some WNEW NYC airchecks from there progressive AOR days in the 70's and 80's with DJ's Alison Steel 'the nightbird', Scott Muni, Dave Herman and many others.
    And some GLR (Greater London Radio) airchecks.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear some Leicester Sound on there!
    Forum Member
    sparry wrote: »
    Good to hear some Leicester Sound on there!
    We are always on the lookout for stations we don't have much audio for and Leicester Sound is one of them. Any pre-GWR recordings would be appreciated.

Every now and then we also add a selection of jingles to the site. For those that grew up with Radio 1 in the 80's we have just added a 9 minute montage of the most familiar JAM jingles from 1980-1989. www.aircheckdownloads.com
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are always on the lookout for stations we don't have much audio for and Leicester Sound is one of them. Any pre-GWR recordings would be appreciated.

I may be able to help you there, will have to have a look through my tapes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    That's a terrific montage of some of the JAM's id's for Radio 1. Can't help thinking that if radio jingles were a more mainstream interest, people like Jon Wolfert and Chris Kershaw would be as widely recognised as any popular song writer of the past 40 years. Brilliant stuff!
    Forum Member
    sparry wrote: »
    I may be able to help you there, will have to have a look through my tapes!
    Drop us an email if you can. We can even arrange to have the tapes transferred for you.
    bono's hat wrote: »
    That's a terrific montage of some of the JAM's id's for Radio 1.
    Thank you! To follow on from those we have just added a 10 minute selection of Radio 1's JAM jingles from 1990-1996.
  • teasconesteascones Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hi Choccy Boy, I heard an air check on the site of Rick Chase on KMEL in San Francisco. Do you have any more Rick Chase air checks?
    Forum Member
    teascones wrote: »
    Do you have any more Rick Chase air checks?
    We have another aircheck of Rick at KMEL from around the same time as the one on the site. We will get that added soon and post anymore we come across.
    Forum Member
    Some of our latest additions include :
    • The launch of GEM-AM Oct 4th 1988
    • Radio 2's JAM jingles from 1986
    • 210-FM days before the GWR takeover Jan 1993
    • Tina Stewart at Country 1035 Apr 1999
    • Simon Bates, Bruno Brookes & Tommy Vance on the Radio 1 Top 40

And lots more all at www.aircheckdownloads.com
  • ceefax2ceefax2 Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I listened to a WM afternoon show on there from 1990. So much more lively and entertaining than what they serve up now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Have you got any RAM FM or Trent FM? Do you take submissions from other people? A friend of mine has hundreds of ILR recordings from the East Midlands. Ram FM test transmissions etc.
    Forum Member
    Dan Martin wrote: »
    Have you got any RAM FM or Trent FM? Do you take submissions from other people? A friend of mine has hundreds of ILR recordings from the East Midlands. Ram FM test transmissions etc.
    Hi Dan we do indeed take submissions. Besides all of the old jingles we don't have much material for Trent FM. We are always looking to fill a few gaps so please send your friend our way and we'll sort something out.