Options

Feeling nervous all the time, how to relax?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have this sick feeling in my mouth and this lump in my dry throat, it’s really horrible and is affecting me badly (I nearly skipped uni today as I felt so bad. I still didn't go to the first lecture though otherwise I know I would have been sick or had some kind of panic attack), I have had this feeling since about Thursday last week however yesterday and today its really bad! (Yesterday night more so). I keep having to swallow this lump, like it’s stuck in my mouth/throat (however, nothing is actually stuck, it’s just a feeling) otherwise I’m going to gag. I suffer from anxiety and I think it’s all just down to this (I remember I had it when I was younger at school) but I haven’t had this for a long time. Nothings really happened as such to make me feel all nervous like this (for example I don’t have an exam coming up) but I think it’s just the coursework dates (even though I’m up to date and not falling behind) and I know I have to do a couple of presentation in front of the whole class soonish (which I’m terrible at! No matter how much I practice, when I get up there I’m a bag of nerves and forget everything; I might purchase those calming spray things soon though). There’s a few things going on at home too, although nothing major but i'm thinking of quiting uni as I do not enjoy it so I think that is contributing to it as it is making me think about my life (like if I quit, i'd have to get a job obviously and then its which job and what will I do about my parents if I quit and should I move out, etc etc). But yeah, I really hate this sick, lumpy feeling so is there any advice on how to try and be more relaxed so this can go away? I am organised with uni, I’ve done a list of when the coursework is due in and how many words it is so I’m on top of it and not ignoring it (although when I look at it I freak out haha). I wonder if there is anything to help me (I don't mean a hot bath either for 30mins relaxation, I kind of do that already) or something to just stop me from freaking and thinking all these scary thoughts (job, parents etc).

Sorry this was kind of long, I never mean it to be but it always turns out like that haha.

EDIT: I have had less of an appetite but am still eating normally.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i can`t read most of your post, it`s too much of a block but if i got the gist - try here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    monkeyphobious
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this sick feeling in my mouth and this lump in my dry throat, it’s really horrible and is affecting me badly (I nearly skipped uni today as I felt so bad. I still didn't go to the first lecture though otherwise I know I would have been sick or had some kind of panic attack), I have had this feeling since about Thursday last week however yesterday and today its really bad! (Yesterday night more so). I keep having to swallow this lump, like it’s stuck in my mouth/throat (however, nothing is actually stuck, it’s just a feeling) otherwise I’m going to gag. I suffer from anxiety and I think it’s all just down to this (I remember I had it when I was younger at school) but I haven’t had this for a long time. Nothings really happened as such to make me feel all nervous like this (for example I don’t have an exam coming up) but I think it’s just the coursework dates (even though I’m up to date and not falling behind) and I know I have to do a couple of presentation in front of the whole class soonish (which I’m terrible at! No matter how much I practice, when I get up there I’m a bag of nerves and forget everything; I might purchase those calming spray things soon though). There’s a few things going on at home too, although nothing major but i'm thinking of quiting uni as I do not enjoy it so I think that is contributing to it as it is making me think about my life (like if I quit, i'd have to get a job obviously and then its which job and what will I do about my parents if I quit and should I move out, etc etc). But yeah, I really hate this sick, lumpy feeling so is there any advice on how to try and be more relaxed so this can go away? I am organised with uni, I’ve done a list of when the coursework is due in and how many words it is so I’m on top of it and not ignoring it (although when I look at it I freak out haha). I wonder if there is anything to help me (I don't mean a hot bath either for 30mins relaxation, I kind of do that already) or something to just stop me from freaking and thinking all these scary thoughts (job, parents etc).

Sorry this was kind of long, I never mean it to be but it always turns out like that haha.

EDIT: I have had less of an appetite but am still eating normally.

This kind of feeling is perfectly normal almost everyone experiences it sometimes,if it is really becoming a problem then there are a few things you can try.
    Get up a little earlier and get some exercise. I have been told that this can improve general mental activity and increase ones positive attitudes.
    Eat a good breakfast of cerial (avoid Coffee) it's a stimulent and will add to this 'hightened feeling'. Remember fear, excitement and anticipation 'feel' very similar.
    Sometimes we experience these emotions 'on their own' sometimes we get a mix of them. If you feel excited about your course and are anticipating an exciting time. but have just a little bit of fear of 'cocking things up' it may feel like a panic attack. So try thinking through what you are feeling carefully.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you aren't against the idea of taking drugs beta blockers can help. I was overly anxious for years but resisted taking medication for it. Eventually I had to and within half an hour of taking the pill the anxiety was switched off. It literally felt like that. Speak to your GP.Good luck with it.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I get like that I find taking St Johns Wort or "Kalms" type stuff helps me (there are two types of Kalms, one is for nightime to help me sleep if I get into that thinking about things too much to relax enough to sleep mood and there is a daytime one that does not put you to sleepp)
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there something going on in your life that you can't swallow?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Watch out on the "n0. m0re panic" site......its the lunatics running the asylum. dodgy people in a dodgy place, trying to bring you down to their level. You might find some info there. But when they say the site is run by sufferers...they mean it. the admin & owner there are the low point. and their 'therapy' is often bringing you down with them. Sites been going for 10 years. degenerating for 5 of those.
  • Options
    skunk-monkeyskunk-monkey Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    sounds like you suffer a little gen anxiety