That didn't take long - calls for private health insurance to replace the NHS

2»

Comments

• Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it wasn't, but I understand that a proportion is allocated to the NHS: £20.8 billion (out of £82.2bn) in 2013-14.
    Yes it was.

Labour changed the law in The Social Security Administration Act 1992 to enable some NI contributions income to be syphoned off to help pay for the day to day running costs of the NHS before the money goes into the NI fund where it is ring-fenced by law and can only be used to pay out contributions based benefits.

Labours justification for doing this was the vast amount that had accumulated in the NI fund at the time and was continuing to accumulate. That was due in part to contributions based benefits having their link to average earnings index removed in the 1980s while NI contributions paid by people remained link to their earnings. But was done despite knowing that with an ageing demographic we would need all the money we could find in future to pay pensions.

The change by Labour syphoning off some NI contributions before they get to the NI fund has resulted in the NI fund running at a loss and eating into its capital. But for the change the NI contributions going into the fund would currently more than cover NI fund outgoings paying contributions based benefits. The NI system would still be running as it was set up to and would still be fit for purpose. As it is eventually it is going to go bust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was.

Labour changed the law in The Social Security Administration Act 1992 to enable some NI contributions income to be syphoned off to help pay for the day to day running costs of the NHS before the money goes into the NI fund where it is ring-fenced by law and can only be used to pay out contributions based benefits.

Labours justification for doing this was the vast amount that had accumulated in the NI fund at the time and was continuing to accumulate. That was due in part to contributions based benefits having their link to average earnings index removed in the 1980s while NI contributions paid by people remained link to their earnings. But was done despite knowing that with an ageing demographic we would need all the money we could find in future to pay pensions.

The change by Labour syphoning off some NI contributions before they get to the NI fund has resulted in the NI fund running at a loss and eating into its capital. But for the change the NI contributions going into the fund would currently more than cover NI fund outgoings paying contributions based benefits.

I was actually agreeing with you that it wasn't originally set up for that purpose.
  • TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conservatives said they were not privatizing the NHS and that they would spend whatever was needed on the NHS. That will be what people voted for in regards to the NHS.

Didn't the Conservatives also promise no top down reorganisation of the NHS?

The Tories are already plundering the NHS by selling contracts to their friends and in return getting large payments.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/03/healthcare-companies-links-tories-nhs-contracts
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would favour a healthcare approach more like continental Europe. We should be very careful not to end up with a US style mess though.

If this country looked to Europe for ideas instead of America, things could be so much better.

Nice to see the Torygraph not wasting any time with the propaganda. I hope Doris Rightwing and Ada Toryvoter have got enough stuffed away in the mattress for when they need all that private medical care....
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Having been the relative off some who received heath care, and personally the recipient of heath care in Spain, I can say that it is far better than the UK.

Woe betide you if you do not speak Spanish though [most doctors speak English mind you]. You have to pay for interpreters.

It is a Spanish health service after all.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    If this country looked to Europe for ideas instead of America, things could be so much better.

Nice to see the Torygraph not wasting any time with the propaganda. I hope Doris Rightwing and Ada Toryvoter have got enough stuffed away in the mattress for when they need all that private medical care....

Exactly - European systems seem so much better. But hold on, they involve higher taxation for better services; Cameron & Co would rather shift the cost onto Joe P. Muggins, regardless of whether he can afford it or not.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Yes yes yes, please sell the nhs
  • j0annej0anne Posts: 2,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am cueing next two months to have my shoulder blade shaved of 2 cm and the bone scraped out of debris.....then I am due to have a total knee replacement as I have no cartridge bi laterally I am bone on bone grinding pain.....then I get to have my cataracts done ....then I have the joy of some bowel removal and finally my bladder sorted ....think I will get insurance?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newspapers will NOT MAKE POLICY!
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j0anne wrote: »
    I am cueing next two months to have my shoulder blade shaved of 2 cm and the bone scraped out of debris.....then I am due to have a total knee replacement as I have no cartridge bi laterally I am bone on bone grinding pain.....then I get to have my cataracts done ....then I have the joy of some bowel removal and finally my bladder sorted ....think I will get insurance?

..... of course ..... there's nothing worry about ..... trust us ..... *smirk*

Love, Dave.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    It would never happen.its scaremongering. If the Tories tried they'd be obliterated at subsequent elections so they won't go there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    It would never happen.its scaremongering. If the Tories tried they'd be obliterated at subsequent elections so they won't go there

You think the Tories are going to announce it? No. It'll be done behind the scenes, bit by bit, until it's all been flogged off to any City bidder and there's nothing left to save.

The Tories need to watch it though. It's all well and good selling off anything and everything but they have almost bargain basemented everything there is.... Oh no! :o
  • worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    If they do privatise, it'll be the biggest mistake for the nation.

Any bits that are profitable will be sold off.
    They don't care who to .
    The French The Germans The Americans or anyone else.
    Maybe India could use the money we give them to buy into it.
    Britain owns very little of its own infrastructure it's been picked to bits since Thatcher
    everything that was in public ownership has gradually torn apart and as the public owned it we were never given a referendum on its sale.
    The days are gone when Brits we're proud of what we had achieved in the world.
    To day all that has gone we live in a country owned by foreigners and directed by foreigners in the shape of multi-nationals.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    The article also points out that spending per capita is more than 2% of GDP higher on average in countries with SHI (social health insurance) systems than in Britain. So isn't much of their better performance simply down to better funding (however it's done)?

Plus more doctors paid less. But we have more alternative, high paid, careers people would go into, if medicine doesn't pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want free hospital care? It'll be on Boris Island *

* ambulance not included. Visa/MasterCard/AmEx accepted. Closed Friday-Wednesday.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

They are wrong - having a wife from Thailand I can see what it is like when you do not have something like the NHS. It is important to have a health system which can support both rich and poor. We may have to change some things, increased involvement of patients in their care, early detection and prevention. But that fundamental aspect must and will remain.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Privatising the NHS is going to happen, we know it.
  • Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of denial in this thread.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't come soon enough.

Social insurance is the way to go. The NHS is a national catastrophe and nothing will change whilst we obsess about who provides the treatment rather than the outcomes.

Thank god Burnham is not back in charge.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I have said many times how often it happens.

Very few GP's are NHS employees.
    No pharmacists are NHS employees.
    No drug companies are NHS employees

The NHS use them as independent contractors.

Add to that Dentists.

And the lovely work of MacMillian Nurses
  • j0annej0anne Posts: 2,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... of course ..... there's nothing worry about ..... trust us ..... *smirk*

Love, Dave.

Ohh ..errr you sound like the gyno I met behind the bus station :o