Options

'Too fat to work' woman REFUSES NHS weight-loss surgery to stay on benefits

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could get a job in the circus or maybe as one of those fat webcam women who eat cakes online naked.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no hope for people like that. They're just stupid and bloody minded.

That said, it's important to remember she's in a tiny minority and if she carries on like that she'll be dead before long anyway. Let her get on with it.

I'd rather work cleaning toilets or something than live like that. It says she can't even bathe/clean herself without help.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    That filthy sofa needs chucking out.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel quite sorry for her because it's quite clear reading the article she's in complete denial.
    Yet Jodie, who suffers from a string of obesity-related illnesses, refuses to have the operation , claiming her size is down to fluid retention, not poor diet and a lack of exercise.

She said: “I’m not going *under the knife for *anyone because I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong.

“Doctors keep on shouting at me to lose weight but I don’t even eat that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel quite sorry for her because it's quite clear reading the article she's in complete denial.

There's 'denial' and then there's just being 'bloody minded' though.

Her doctors and dieticians must have told her that fried breakfasts, large quantities of potatoes and pasta, with sandwiches and crisps for lunch isn't a remotely balanced diet and is LOADED with carbohydrates.

In fact, it's a diet which consists pretty much solely of carbo-filled food.

She's presumably been told this (you would hope, many times) but just doesn't want to change.

Nothing you can do for someone like that. She'll just eat herself to death.

I often have pity on people like this, people do get themselves into a right state for a number of reasons but they don't always get help. She's had comprehensive help, including her own dietician and offer of a free gastric band op, and she still refuses.

When it gets to that stage it's literally suicide by food. I wonder if sectioning someone like that is the answer? :confused: For their own safety! I just don't know whether that would actually help.. maybe she needs intensive psychotherapy or something?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Take her off benefits, she'll soon lose weight.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Disgraceful! It's a pity fat feckless obese people can't be fined or put in jail for living like this draining the countries resources.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgraceful! It's a pity fat feckless obese people can't be fined or put in jail for living like this draining the countries resources.
    You're serious aren't you? Do you realise how stupid you've made yourself look with that statement?

It would actually cost MORE to keep them in jail, and so drain this country's resources even more! /rolleyes/
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    You're serious aren't you? Do you realise how stupid you've made yourself look with that statement?

It would actually cost MORE to keep them in jail, and so drain this country's resources even more! /rolleyes/

But a short spell in jail might give them the shock they need to start dieting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a short spell in jail might give them the shock they need to start dieting.

Why would that cause her to modify her behaviour? Surely without any sort of actual 'therapy' or mental restructuring she'd come out and gorge herself stupid again.

Besides which, wanting to put people in prison for not committing crimes comes across as downright fascist.

So, no.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's lying about her diet. You can see sweet wrappers and full fat Babybel shells on the floor in that photo. If she likes her fry-up, she should go on keto. That'd solve any water retention within a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's lying about her diet. You can see sweet wrappers and full fat Babybel shells on the floor in that photo. If she likes her fry-up, she should go on keto. That'd solve any water retention within a week.

She'd still be pretty enormous regardless with the diet she claims to have:

Full fry up for breakfast, every day.

Sandwiches and crisps for lunch.

Large pasta/potato meal for dinner.

It's all just carbohydrates and fat
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

All obese?
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    She'd still be pretty enormous regardless with the diet she claims to have:

Full fry up for breakfast, every day.

Sandwiches and crisps for lunch.

Large pasta/potato meal for dinner.

It's all just carbohydrates and fat

Yep, just how many sausages, eggs and bacon slices is she having on those breakfasts

Sandwiches? So more than one then and probably loads of crisps

So she's truthful in the fact she's having three meals but how much she's having on those meals is the problem

Her BMR is just over 3000 calories, would be easy to get that in and more, nothing wrong with carbs and fat it's the excess calories that's the problem
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that's jail for "feckless fat obese people" a term you really seem to like and jail for "feckless" - oh, there's that word again, parents who dare to have more than 2 children.

Jails in this country are overflowing, so exactly where do they go? Unless of course they help build the jails.

So what should this country's resources be spent on?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one should be forced into having surgery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    No one should be forced into having surgery.

She shouldn't get benefits for being fat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's 'denial' and then there's just being 'bloody minded' though.

Completely agree.
    Her doctors and dieticians must have told her that fried breakfasts, large quantities of potatoes and pasta, with sandwiches and crisps for lunch isn't a remotely balanced diet and is LOADED with carbohydrates.

In fact, it's a diet which consists pretty much solely of carbo-filled food.

She's presumably been told this (you would hope, many times) but just doesn't want to change.

Nothing you can do for someone like that. She'll just eat herself to death.

I often have pity on people like this, people do get themselves into a right state for a number of reasons but they don't always get help. She's had comprehensive help, including her own dietician and offer of a free gastric band op, and she still refuses.

When it gets to that stage it's literally suicide by food. I wonder if sectioning someone like that is the answer? :confused: For their own safety! I just don't know whether that would actually help.. maybe she needs intensive psychotherapy or something?

I think sectioning, under these circumstances, is actually a very good idea. People with mental health issues can be sectioned if the doctor thinks they need urgent hospital treatment or if they think their health would be at serious risk so I would think this situation would certainly qualify.

I think if you're in that level of denial that you feel you know better than qualified medical professionals then something is wrong. Prader-Willi syndrome can cause excessive, uncontrolled eating and also cause the person to be overly stubborn so that's certainly something that could be looked in to.

But hey ho, she's fat so throw her in jail/stop her benefits/let her eat herself to death e.t.c.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completely agree.

I think sectioning, under these circumstances, is actually a very good idea. People with mental health issues can be sectioned if the doctor thinks they need urgent hospital treatment or if they think their health would be at serious risk so I would think this situation would certainly qualify.

I think if you're in that level of denial that you feel you know better than qualified medical professionals then something is wrong. Prader-Willi syndrome can cause excessive, uncontrolled eating and also cause the person to be overly stubborn so that's certainly something that could be looked in to.

But hey ho, she's fat so throw her in jail/stop her benefits/let her eat herself to death e.t.c.....

Oh no, I don't agree with fat people not wanting to lose weight being sectioned
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, I don't agree with fat people not wanting to lose weight being sectioned

It's not something that should be introduced as standard practice at all, but in certain circumstances, such as the ones we're being told about here, I think it should definitely be an option available to doctors.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder how these stories end up in the papers.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a prime case to demonstrate why benefits claimants should receive food vouchers rather than cash. She is obviously incapable of working out what is a balanced, nutritious diet for herself - therefore one should be worked out for her by a government dietitian and she is provided with the vouchers to obtain this food.

Just as well she does not extend this lifestyle choice to children.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Take her off benefits, she'll soon lose weight.

Too true! The world loves looking for complications and usually answers can be found in the most simplest of solutions.

I doubt she's in denial, and I'm sure she knows exactly what she's doing. How she can live a life though, just existing and eating and having someone else pay for that existance, I have no idea. :confused:
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    This is a prime case to demonstrate why benefits claimants should receive food vouchers rather than cash

Why would paying for her food with vouchers make any difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I doubt she's in denial

You think this isn't denial ?
    She said: “They think they know everything but I know better"
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    All obese?

Yep, just how many sausages, eggs and bacon slices is she having on those breakfasts

Sandwiches? So more than one then and probably loads of crisps

So she's truthful in the fact she's having three meals but how much she's having on those meals is the problem

Her BMR is just over 3000 calories, would be easy to get that in and more, nothing wrong with carbs and fat it's the excess calories that's the problem

Sorry, but you of all people pontificating about what people should and shouldn't eat is highly hypocritical!